Mid-2010 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philkeely, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

1. philkeely

philkeely Member

Hey guys! I am planning to upgrade my 9-yr old Macbook Pro (mid-2010)'s SSD and RAM. Do you guys know if that'll help speed up the performance? It easily gets hot and gets slow. Also, do you know if there is like a shop where it can be done and how much in estimate it would cost?

I eliminated the option of buying a newer model since I don't use it often unlike back in college. Now, I only use it for movies and iTunes.

Thanks in advance!

2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

Yes to both. In general usage, putting an ssd is a must. 128/265gb SSDs are now so cheap than what they used to be. :)

3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Upgrading the RAM and to SSD will definitely speed up your old MBP.

Here are estimates for the upgrades:
    Single stick 8gb DDR3 RAM = P2,300+- (Your unit supports 8gb max)
    WD SSD 120gb SATA = P1,400+- (Options for bigger storage size available depending on your needs)

You can install them yourself and it's not that difficult. There are instructions online that can show you how to do it.

4. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

Hi Philkeely, in 2017 i've purchased as below:
    1. 3pcs OWC 8GB(2X 4GB) 1066MHz DDR3(purchased accidentally ,i already used one though).
    2. 1pc 2nd HDD caddy tray unibody 9.5mm laptop.
    3. 2pcs Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm(planned to use both SSD for more power, but i use iMac more and it's not recommend to use both SSD as i read somewhere. I haven't installed yet as i am not that confident to open the HDD & CD Drive. Let's do it together)

If you plan to buy both memory and SSD, kindly pm me. I am here in Mandaluyong area.