Mid-2009 MBP 15" - Frozen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by the sandman, Aug 27, 2009.

1. the sandman

the sandman Member

[APOLOGIES MODS: DUPLICATE, please MERGE with the duplicate thread. Sorry.]

I just want to share my frustrations with a brand new macbook pro (just a little over a month old) in the hope of easing these feelings and probably of getting advice on how to handle this.

I got my 15" 2.53ghz MBP in the middle of July.

First, I got paranoid at how the MBP heats up on just the left side. Got answers for it. it was just an ignorant overreaction from a noob.

I got a 1TB WD external hard drive 2 weeks ago, i was transferring data from my old external drive to the 1TB new drive using the MBP. It was probably working for around 8 hrs. I switched it off while I was sleeping. It woke it up after getting out of bed, watched a DVD... then in the middle of watching the screen froze and was replaced by multicolored lines. No amount of keyboard and trackpad actions was able to wake him up. I had no choice but to hard restart.

When I first restarted it after a few minutes rest (I thought it was still overworked from the previous night), I heard a succession on 3 short beeps and a pause, then the beeps repeated. The sleep indicator light blinked with the beeps. This doesn't stop until I pressed hard on the power button. I switched it on again and found the MBP able to boot and I was able to log on the system. After just a minute, it froze again. I hardreset and I heard the beeps again. Reset and everything was fine. It was a Sunday so Apple support was away.

A few days passed, I didn't have time to call Apple yet and the MBP was working fine. Then one day, I woke up it from sleep. It felt hot to the touch. The sleep indicator light weren't blinking and was steady and the screen was just black. I called Apple Support suggested resetting the PRAM and SMC, it worked.

It was the Pax MBP for a week.

Just this Tuesday, it froze again while I'm in the middle of internet surfing. The pointer and the dock were visible against the multicolored distorted diplay yet the track pad was unresponsive. My previous actions of restarting the computer worked. Until yesterday, it just stopped working. The farthest I can go into booting the MBP was the gray apple screen where it hangs (you can seen the spinning lines stop). I called Apple who advised me to bring it to a Service Center.

I'm really frustrated that i got unlucky with first foray into the macworld.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with the macbook pro and I hope this issue gets resolved immediately (although that's dependent on when I will be able to pass by the iRescue and on the extent of the damage).

#1 the sandman, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

have it replaced man, this happened to me before. It was a defective Hard Drive. But I found out within the week I got it, and that was in Florida. Customer service here might not be that nice, especially its been since July when you got it. Just try it out, you should be given a better machine. Good luck!

3. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

unibody mbp ba gamit mo? did you upgrade its memory?

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah, you definitely got a bad unit. :(

I hope you get a replacement or a satisfactory repair! Good luck!

5. the sandman

the sandman Member

got chuck (my MBP) repaired with irescue in less than an hour. apparently it was just an issue of loose ram.

on the same day it acted up again. i planned to bring it back to irescue but now, it's stable. i'll just monitor for any repeat of the issues.

i hope, though, that there will be no more trips to the hospital for him.

#5 the sandman, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009