Microsoft Office for Mac is on sale

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by zeta, Nov 18, 2009.

1. zeta

zeta Member

2. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it will cut the local prices too. Best way is to get it via a friend in the US.

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Awesome, that's a great price. Thanks for the heads up!

4. Eriction

Eriction Member

I was hoping even the prices at Mactopia would go down. Unfortunately its only for the retail version - and not the downloaded version of the software.

Sucks.

5. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Office for Mac can be found at the PH Online Apples Store here: http://store.apple.com/ph/product/TQ744LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OA&mco=MTA4NzU0MzE

It still carries the high price of 8,990.00 pesos. The only version of Office that has seen price slashes is Office 2007 for Windows. Have seen the student version for as low as 3,995.00 already. If you have Bootcamp or a virtual machine running Windows, it might be another alternative.

6. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

i don't think that is allowed by the EULA of the Home and Student version of Mac Office 2008

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I have a fresh SL installation. I can't decide on iWork 09 or Office:Mac 2008. I primarily use word processing ,spreadsheet, and occasionally presentations. I want a smaller footprint and low resource usage. Any thoughts? At the moment I am managing with Google Docs.

8. ye12oj

ye12oj New Member

I got an email from Mactopia that the Office 2008 Home and Student Edition is indeed on sale for $99.95. The version is an electronic download for an additional $12.99. The thing is that it's up for a 1-day sale only. For those interested to get it, here's the link:

http://buy.officeformac.com/servlet...cale=en_US&SiteID=msmacus&id=QuickBuyCartPage

Seems a good deal!

By the way, this doesn't seem applicable to all countries. :(

9. reastern

reastern Member

Maybe one reason for the "Office for Mac 2008" sale is because Microsoft will be releasing the new "Office for Mac 2011" sometime this year..

Im also thinking of getting Office for Mac, but im wondering if I should just wait for the release of the new version..

10. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

How much is it sold nowadays in Manila, anyway? The Home and Student version can be shared by 3 people, right?

11. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope someone answers this. I was told by a reseller that a box (of MS Office Mac 2008 Home Student Edition) has 3 licenses. I can buy one license for 1/3 of the price. Is this legal? Or would it be considered as a pirated software if I buy MS Office this way?

Edit: I went on to research about this subject matter and here is what I got

http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=731

Basically it says here that the 3 licenses should be in 1 "household". There are complications as to what constitutes a "household" and how enforceable it is so I guess its borderline legal to purchase the software this way.

#11 Netskipper, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  12. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

It's not piracy per se, but you're violating the EULA by doing this, and in effect the reseller's making a profit at the expense of the consumer. For X price, you should be getting 3 licenses for your household with the original disk and materials. But the reseller will obviously have to give out 2 DVD/CD-R copies to someone. Not to mention the cheaper price for one license x 3 may be more than the actual selling price so that the reseller can make added profit by cutting up the licenses in this manner.

It's not borderline if the reseller is selling one license to you. One license to another guy you don't know and the last to yet another 3 party.

I just checked the license terms for MS Office for Mac: H&SE and I must say the EULA for Apple Family packs are much more clear especially when it comes to defining what a household consists of.

13. Netskipper

^Indeed the reseller intends to make a profit. Just so you know, they are asking for P3,100 for a license so probably earning P1,000+ for each package in the process.

This is a tempting proposition as normally it would cost P8,000+ to buy a copy locally and I will be the only one in my household who will use it. Also I heard that the next version of office will not have the upgrade package as well.

I thought that violation of the EULA makes the software pirated. What are the consequences of violating the EULA?

14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

If I may....if you mean Microsoft will sned the Microsofties Police on your household, no...if you mean, you can't run it in your computer, no.........no consequence, but is it ethical? That's your call, but kudos for you for using original software when it is all too easy to just buy pirated ones for pennies or downloading it from P2P.

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If the seller installed Office on your Mac using his oem disc and then used one of the licenses. Then that is Eula violation. Microsoft's legal options depends on that agreement.

If the seller gave you a dvd copy of the oem discs and one license, then that is piracy. Both of you are criminally liable.

In my opinion, to buy it that way is cheating Microsoft too and you are no better than a person using pirated material. No kudos for you for using someone else's original software. Unless you guys decide to live together.

16. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Well that may be true; but in my opinion, if he really cannot shell-out P8,000+, I'd say what he's about to do is fairly laudable--for at least he still paid for fairly reasonable amount that would still find its way to the coffers of Microsoft. At least it's better than buying the totally bootlegged ones. Don't get me wrong--it's not that I'm condoning it--all I'm saying is that it's a good start. Hopefully later, when he starts earning a lot more, he'd eventually buy 100% legit ones.

We all have to start somewhere. There was once a time (when I was sooo much younger) when practically every software I had was bootlegged (except for the Windows that came with my laptop)--for I definitely had no money to shell out then. But gradually, I started investing in legitimate software for several reasons: first, it's because of the support and updates that I get; second, I started to emphatize with software developers--because I too once became a software developer myself; and lastly, I don't want my clients and opponents knowing that I'm violating copyright laws now that I'm a lawyer. Thus, now, every software that runs on my unit is totally legit.

Again, I'm NOT REALLY condoning it--all I'm saying is that I consider it a good START. :)

#16 Qin Zhi, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  17. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

:slanted:

This is what I'd consider a good start if I couldn't afford the full price of an Office Suite.
    http://www.openoffice.org/
    http://www.neooffice.org

Fully functional, stable, compatible file formats, and free to use/download. All without needing to violate any license agreements.

18. Netskipper

Thanks for the replies and clarification of the EULA. What I learned is if you want to use a developer's software, you must abide by their rules (EULA). It is their product anyway. If you can't afford it, use something else.

19. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I started using Office 2008 last year simply because our office uses Vista/windows & & it's the only way I can open those windows docx files. which later on I found out could be opened by iWorks 2009 (true?) but which I had installed at a later date. I was actually happy with Office 2004 until the incompatibility came up.

20. wippy

wippy Member

hi guys. im not sure if im in the right thread to post this...

yung kilala ko bumili ng ms office installer sa iStudio (i dont know which branch) worth 3300php. Hindi siya nakabox. nasa manipis na case lang daw. Single user lang. Original kaya ito? may nabili na ba kayong ganito? thanks...