Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

This thread has provided me countless minutes of entertainment almost every week.

And I'm thinking wait, wait wait... there's a problem here. Is it because, man, so much wrong in this world? Or is it because I find all these amusing?

2. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

You can still take the flyover, but make sure to enter right before the start of the break which is after the santolan mrt station. Then you can go to Greenhills via Annapolis or Connecticut.

Well, unless they change their mind again, & start putting up the barrier up to the Santolan flyover hehe.

#142 bugs, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    raypin likes this.
  3. waks13

waks13 Active Member

4. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

No gap in the barriers this morning. I entered EDSA from Connecticut and the barriers continued all the way past the left-turn flyover to Ortigas.

Would anyone know if they open a gap when it's not rush hour?

#144 eag, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Haha, just wow, took me 30 minutes just to negotiate a right turn to my OWN street because this thunderstorm just stopped an SUV from moving further along...at the 15th minute mark, this guy comes out while his SUV's lights were blinking and went down the store to buy some frigging cancer cigarettes all the while leaving the SUV on idle and in the middle of the frigging street whilst I waited to turn to...amazing!

After about 10 minutes of incessant horn blaring, the idiotic driver finally relents and returns to his SUV and gives me a frigging wave...he moves just to the left a bit for me to just pass through by the inch of my nose...but before I do, this woman comes out from this house on the right and strolls leisurely to the SUV and gets inside the passenger door while I am inches from being slammed and then shuts it like she just came from Mars...amazing!

I wanted to do a Tanto but I always take heed of Bato's advice to me: Breathe deep, look away. Do it another day.

Yeah, I will. Another day, mistah.

Damn you TGO-XXX7 for The GagO...

Happy weekend everyone!

supahdende, ericb, Sunil_K and 8 others like this.
  6. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

If I had a nickel for every time I was in traffic, wishing I were a cop to teach some ahole some basic lessons and etiquette in driving... I would be Mark Zuckerberg. :p

Kudos to your incredible patience, perseverance and endurance. I would not have been as nice.

For the rest of us, there's always the public shaming route on FB, if you really want to release some (questionably legal) steam to get some sort of payback. :) Post your dashcam videos of the idiots for the world to judge.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hanep, just today, the gates, roads and side streets of Camp Crame are filled with cars of all types as these so-called narco-personalities troop here to clear their names and/or submit to the authorities for processing...since 6am I had to order my security to remove all frigging cars blocking our center lane to our building because they are impeding the normal ingress and egress of my office's vehicles...one of these narco-idiots just walked to our Duty OD to say that he is required to park in our slot because the Chief PNP has asked him to surrender...I almost had him on a chokehold but being the gracious host I told him to get the F*** off our property before I include him in the real black list...sometimes you need an iron hand to strong arm the morons of society...

Speaking of EDSA and Santolan, don't bother passing that way as you are bound to be late for the next day's appointment...it's bumper-to-bumper and standstill in practically all pockets...

Happy Monday everyone...

raypin, makintosh, wulf and 4 others like this.
  8. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I am currently on a short term assignment here in Vienna and I am so amazed on how efficient the public transportation is here, be it the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, tram, heck even the buses. Case in point: Our office is a good 6 stops from where I stay, taking two different U-Bahn lines, roughly 4km end-to-end. I leave 30minutes before my time-in, leisurely, and arrive at the office with 15mins to spare. One time, I forgot to bring my access card - I was at the transfer station, I went back to my apartment to get it, and arrived at the office with 5 minutes to spare. I wouldn't dare to that stunt back in Manila!

They also have an app called Qando where you check the schedules on everything, up to the minute, you can plan your route and know exactly, I mean, exactly when you'll arrive at your destination, including all the alternative means of getting there.

Oh Manila! :cry:

Sunil_K, hitme64, raypin and 2 others like this.
  9. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

We also have this!

This is what grows on your head while stuck in traffic in Metro Manila.

Dekra, Sunil_K, funcityboy and 5 others like this.
  10. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Is there no end in sight to Manila's traffic woes?

Manila's traffic did give me enough training and patience, which i didn't get to use when we moved to Sydney. The transport system here is efficient simply because it works, although locals still have some complaints of buses and trains being 5-minutes late, and when traffic speed goes down to 30kph (for a 500-meter stretch) on the highway heading into the CBD during rush hour. These minor inconveniences are nothing compared to what Manilenyos go through each day.

I live about 10km from the city centre, same distance I used to travel from our place in Santolan area to Makati CBD. But here, an express bus ride takes no more than 40min (at worst) during rush hour, 15-20min during weekends. While it takes me at least an hour for the same distance in Manila.

Like Dekra, there are apps (aside from Google Maps) for Sydney bus and train transport skeds, which tells you which specific bus stop or train platform to wait at. Haven't driven a car for over a year and I don't really miss it. For someone like me, the thought of spending time in Manila traffic is enough of a dealbreaker when talking about coming home for a visit. But of course, we must not let adversity and hardship dictate the way we live our lives....

I do hope things will only get better for the Philippines...

#150 Mykolant, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  11. nivraarvin

nivraarvin Member

Left our house here in Antipolo 5:15am. Arrived at BGC 7:30am.

Something is really wrong with Ortigas Avenue Extension and C5.

12. Godfather

Walter, may ganyan rin tayo dito... maybe in 200 years.

If I were you, I would make every excuse to stay there in that civilized world for as long as I can. Getting to and from work are the most stressful, depressing parts of my day. As if the work part isn't stressful and impossible enough. The "worst traffic in the world (according to Waze)" is one of those things that make me want to pack up my family and migrate. I mean if right now it takes me 1.5 to 2 hours (on a good day) to traverse 19 km each way, ten years from now, when my eldest child is 21, how long would it take her to go from Balintawak to Makati? 5 hours? 10 hours? Kawawa naman mga anak ko.

And honestly, I don't think public transport here will ever reach Singapore/HK/Tokyo standards, much less Vienna.

Mike, that's the way we feel when we are in LA. Traveling at 40kph, traffic na ang tawag nila dun? :p Spoiled rin kayo no?

Seriously guys, with an estimated car volume of 3.5 million units in Metro Manila on any given day, with at least 3,000 km deficit of roads, plus 350,000 new cars added every year... no math magic will give us any hope. The only solution if I were in charge, and this pains me to say as a car guy: cars should become more expensive. Right now, because they are so cheap and bank interest rates are so low and lenient, everybody and their grandma have multiple cars. The ones they don't use? Parked outside their houses in the side streets, clogging what few alternative arteries there are in the Metro.

1. We should adopt the Singaporean system of first securing Certificate of Entitlement before buying a car, which are often more expensive than the cars themselves.
    2. Have proof of garage space within your property before being allowed to buy a car. The public streets belong to the public damn it.
    3. Vehicles 10 years or older should not be allowed.
    4. Gasgas na iyang "build more roads" approach. While we do need to build them, it is logically and physically and financially impossible to make new roads fast enough to address the influx volume of new cars coming in. Imagine a pail overflowing when the faucet is left on at full blast.
    5. Instead of spending on new roads, pour all that money to public transport solutions. Return control of the bus companies to the government, make them truly point to point.
    6. Maximize the existing train system, buy 10 or 20 times more carriages.

The problem with buying more trains for the MRT naman I heard, is that the Sobrepena-built system was severely under-specced and cannot handle the weight. Also, the rails themselves? Metal fatigue to the point of exhaustion already. While Duterte has mandated more frequent train intervals, it might result in trains overshooting, or heck just flying off the rails (which already happens occasionally).

courtside3, Dekra, bugs and 1 other person like this.
  13. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm, I could already see the peso sign in the eyes of the ones issuing the Certificate of Entitilement (or fixer) hehe. I guess no need for proof of garage space. If you have a garage, park your car/s inside. If issue is the cars illegally parked along the street, government should tow it right away. Wala ng explain, explain hehe.

ericb, Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  14. Godfather

Actually if we follow the Singaporean style, "The Certificate of Entitlement or COE is the quota license received from a successful winning bid in an open bid uniform price auction which grants the legal right of the holder to register, own and use a vehicle in Singapore for a period of 10 years. When demand is high, the cost of a COE can exceed the value of the car itself."

But of course, this being the land where graft and corruption have become art forms, I am sure the government body issuing the COE may find some way to make side money from it.

Re: towing. Yes exactly Bugs! Dapat if you park on the street, no excuses, tow na agad. That's what I don't get. Diba the MMDA used to love towing, both legally and illegally? Why don't they deploy those hundreds of towing companies on ALL the side streets? Kikita na ng limpak limpak yung towing company, and the MMDA would have (for the first time ever since its conception) actually helped to alleviate traffic.

Now for some good news. Regarding the new DOTC head Arthur Tugade. I went to school with his daughter. I've known his incredible rags-to-riches story since college. If there's someone who is the exact opposite of Abaya, this guy is it. He is a thousand times better, smarter and more efficient and competent than the previous DOTC sec. Last week I heard him interviewed on the radio, and boy did he hit every nail on the head.

Read the man's story as a private citizen here.

15. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe it's asking too much of the MMDA, LTRB & mayors to just enforce the law? All other plans will either take time to build (infrastructure) or time to legislate (emergency powers). We've got the laws (probably more than needed). Just enforce them!!

16. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

IMO, Singapore's COE system will not work for the Philippines...

I was pro-COE before then I had this conversation with a local.

He told me the COE system works in Singapore because they personally don't want the hassle of owning a car that's "out of warranty"

They will try to sell their 5 year old car (which foreigners will likely buy) and they will try to get another car which they will use for the next 5 years.

In the Philippines, the car industry supports so many people both directly and indirectly.

What will our "manong mechanics" do if we remove all the old cars from the roads? Car wash, valcanizing and gasoline boys? Third Party auto supplies and those guys standing along Banawe who spots all minor defects of your car!

I still believe that we must have an (1) ERP system where certain major roads must charge toll during peak hours and (2) tow companies should be allowed to tow all illegally parked cars.

It will also be nice if the government can (3) centralize payment for tolls and parking... Like Singapore's Cash Card and Malaysia's Touch N Go.

17. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Mark, Barrie's dad is the DOTC head? Damn, that's so cool! I too am privy to his rags to riches story... Couldn't agree with you more.

Godfather likes this.
  18. Godfather

Yup Neil, Art Tugade is Barrie's dad. :) Just told her the other day, "In Tugade we trust." In response to his successful senate appearance where he asked for emergency powers.

Incidentally, this afternoon, the DOTr (formerly the DOTC) has consolidated the MMDA and Highway Patrol Group under the DOTr's control. The MMDA Chairman Emerson Carlos reportedly agreed and so did the head of HPG. So they both will share resources and answer only to Sec. Tugade.

Did you know that prior to this, the MMDA and HPG were not even communicating nor cooperating. They were even literally on different radio frequencies! Kaya pala lalong gumulo e, the left hand didn't know what the right foot was doing.

(Guys, Sunil_K and I were classmates in college. :) Animo!)

#158 Godfather, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Sunil_K likes this.
  19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....I know I shouldn't be complaining kasi nga nasa new admin honeymoon period pa. It is just that my quota for patience for the year re: traffic situation has been reached. (Sigh).

tapnclick1940 likes this.
  20. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member