Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I was watching a docu on Tokyo/Japan

Over 90% of passenger travel is done through their rail network

Nearly that many persons do not own a car.

This forced Japan's govt to increase the maintenance standards of their cars to stimulate demand for new vehicles.

In my ind any new infrastructure development for NCR and next door provinces should be rail-only.

Whatever roads we have should be maintained. I want half the population to spend half their lives underground.

I want the jeepney to become a relic of Ngayon Pilipino and minor cities, towns and barangays.

Buses need to be no more than a decade old within NCR and big cities.

Too much vested interests are against modernization because they're ill equip for the new economy because they're low or no skilled.

Sunil_K, Godfather and catalysmic like this.
  2. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Skyway Stage 3 will be closed starting today at 5pm, and will remain closed until all ramps have been completed in accordance with the TRB directive.

A lot of motorists will be pissed with the indefinite closure.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....STUPID decision. Moronic. Hay naku.

4. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

I think TRB will release a statement shortly saying that "they DID NOT ISSUE a decision or directive ordering the indefinite closure of the Skywya Stage 3."

SMC thrown under the bus! lol

What the hell is going on with those two? SMH

Quest4dgoodlife likes this.
  5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

My usual reply when being compared to Japan... Want PH to be like Japan? Start replacing all Filipinos with Japanese!
    I don't think we (Filipinos) have it in our system to change for the benefit of all.

Buses-Jeepneys-Taxis -> they all have a lifespan, based on my personal knowledge (we used to be in the PUV business), it should be 15 years max -> however its very easy to go around this rule (except for Taxis)

As for Public Transport, if I remember correctly, GMA has a train with the Chinese, PNOY has a train with the Japanese and DU30 has a subway.
    I wonder what the next admin will think of. And are we (taxpayers) paying for those projects?

About car ownership. The moment you leave that car in the garage, your friend and neighbor will be thanking you as its 1 less car in the road.
    Don't get me wrong, we're not alone. All my Japanese friends have cars but they can't bring them to work because of the cost of parking at Tokyo.
    Singapore and Hong Kong have excellent public transport but the locals still buy cars the moment they can afford it.

There will always be traffic.
    Having Skyway Stage 3 as a paid alternative to reach our destination faster is a big plus... If SS3 was free (or too cheap), I don't think it will solve our itch to reach our destination faster.

Back to Japan, if I remember correctly. A survey was done in June 2019 and 69% of respondents have a car.

As per Wikipedia's List of countries by vehicles per capita
    17. Japan
    137. Philippines

6. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Just came true. TRB just issued a statement that they did not. So who's telling the truth now?

https://www.philstar.com/business/2...el-trb-contradict-each-other-skyway-3-closure

#1206 Quest4dgoodlife, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    pepspeps likes this.
  7. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah add more to the confusion. Skyway deleted their tweet regarding the indefinite closure of Skyway Stage 3.

8. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

TRB denies ordering SMC to shut down Skyway 3 today

I suspect the announcements of closure / non-closure of the Skyway Stage 3 is probably a bi-product of or fallout from negotiations between SMC and TRB about the P274/trip toll charges the former wants which still has not yet been approved by the latter.

Ang lagay e...

#1208 Godfather, Mar 16, 2021
    Sunil_K, Quest4dgoodlife and raypin like this.
  9. raypin

Mm....I googled and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for this sudden TRB decision. Was it due to engineering or construction issues (did the soft opening lead to delays in the construction of the unfinished ramps)? I don't think so. Was it due to safety concerns? I dont think so. Was it due to the soft opening lead to unforseen problems? I dont think so. The fact is motorists have been enjoying the new toll road.......without the toll. The fact is motorists have been enjoying faster travel time between Quezon City and Makati and south Metro Manila since the skyway was partially opened. Tons of youtube videos have been posted of shortened travel time to the benefit of motorists, including reduced traffic along EDSA. Every car that goes through the partially opened Skyway Stage 3 is a car that is taken out of Edsa traffic volume. If 10,000 use SS3, THAT is 10,000 cars that is removed from Edsa every day.

Pampabawas ng traffic na walang bayad pa, inalis ng TRB. Really moronic.

Edit: mukhang fake news ang pagsara. Open pa rin daw, according to Tugade. Nakuryente si Ang?

If so, rant withdrawn.

Godfather likes this.
  10. antski

antski Well-Known Member

I am not sure Ang knew about the plan of Skyway management to make a bluff on TRB.

Godfather likes this.
  11. ice

12. Godfather

Very true. Edsa is pretty ok to use now that the heavy lifting has been alleviated by motorists using SS3. I can't imagine how the traffic will be if SS3 is closed now. I'd rather forget the Edsa armageddon that was last year when we reopened from lockdown and there was no SS3 yet. Even with SS3 nga, I shudder to think of what hellish landscape it will be when all the kids go back to physical school. SS3 is not just a luxury now but a necessity.

I think he knew. It could be very shrewd negotiating on the part of Ramon Ang, giving the public a taste of semi-heaven. Then threatening to take it away. It puts pressure on the TRB to approve his asking toll of P274, and not only upon completion but right now. The man is not a billionaire for nothing.

Though I am not sure how if ordinary motorists can afford spending P548 everyday. Company delivery vans, business executives and rich politicians would definitely afford it and use it, but I think your common Juan dela Cruz would find the cost a bit too high.

#1212 Godfather, Mar 16, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  13. Godfather

manager and Quest4dgoodlife like this.
  14. ice

I agree that the cost is too high for the common Juan, but my definition of the common Juan is the guy who takes a UV Express/FB Carpool to work. That UV/FB express can charge an extra to use SS3 instead of ESDA/C5

Being a car owner, I do not count myself as a "common Juan" but I find the rates of our office parking very painful. 50pesos first 2 hours and 20 every succeeding hour (presently shouldered by the company due to the pandemic)

Doing my personal numbers...
    I will save a liter of gas/day using SS3 (56 pesos as per this mornings price)
    Save my cars tires/suspension/drivetrain/brakes
    and my time

15. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

of course they want money to let you use the road, but minimum of 110 pesos just from Buendia to Quirino? are you crazy enough to pay them for that short trip and you have to waste more gas just to get up the ramp,

But it might be a good way to avoid those traffic officers (este highway holdupers) at the vito cruz stop light that waiting for you to get trapped by those small and hiding traffic lights, Manila Traffic Authority, do you know that? nakakahiya mga yan, binabayaran natin para holduping tayo.

16. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

totally unreasonable for the proposed rate, its not building to ease traffic, but they just building a special expensive road for the riches, some welcome the rate even its a thousand pesos a trip, its still cheaper than a helicopter ride and their expensive cars wont need to stuck with those motobikes

17. raypin

Mm…once the rates are set, market forces will determine the final rate. If the toll is too high, motorists will avoid using SS3. If the numbers of users are too low, San Miguel will be forced to lower it. Otherwise, it will be a loss maker for San Miguel. San Miguel has its internal numbers of where the breakeven point is. They will act rationally to make the project financially viable considering that SMC borrowed tons of money to finance the php 80 billion that was sunk into the project. They have commitments to make.

Godfather likes this.
  18. ice

^it looks expensive now since a lot of people are at home

Once people go back to work, that 274 will look very affordable

SE20 and gaol like this.
  19. ice

Sorry if this has been answered earlier.

I can see a bridge being constructed along C5

I can't find it in Google Maps, but when you're Southbound, there's a U-Turn slot there if your going to Taguig/Vista Mall

Anyone who knows where that overhead bridge is going?

20. ice