Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Which robinsons is this?

2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

3. leninmac

4. leninmac

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...too expensive at a time of the pandemic. BOTH laws are pasakit sa motorista. Wrong timing. There are 23 MVIS centers in the entire country to take care of 4,000,000 vehicles. Result? Massive lines that is just damn too inconvenient. Also, too expensive. I'd rather the Road User's tax be used by the government to finance the MVIS and charge a minimal fee. In California, cars that are 6 years old or younger are exempted from smog (emission) tests. Per LTO, kahit mga bagong sasakyan are required to be inspected and pay the extortionate rate of Php 1,800.00. Does that make sense? Of course it does. That is 6 billion pesos per year reason to implement MVIS. Lucky 23. Who appointed those 23 lucky business owners? Meron bang bidding ginawa LTO?

I read somewhere that you need to change tires if it is 3 years old. They will base it on the manufacturer's markings on the tire to determine age. Kahitmakapal pa thread? Does that make sense?

Back to the drawing boards.

Godfather and kyubi like this.
  7. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

If LTO really wants only car-worthy vehicles to be registered, why don't they issue a list of items to be checked to car dealers. Then let the car owner have the car checked by his dealer. Might as well get a car check-up/tune-up anyway. Then the car dealer could issue a certification letter to be presented at the LTO when registering the car.

Godfather and kenetsu like this.
  8. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes this would be ideal, but then some people won't be able to get their cut kaya they're pushing for these mvis centers.hehe.

VicB, Godfather, raypin and 1 other person like this.
  9. ice

I agree with you in some points.

Car inspection every year is too much. In India, a stringent vehicle inspection is only required when the car reaches 15 years old, hence most cars will be sent for scrapping as it doesn't make sense to have the car fixed to pass the test.

Tires, they imposed a 5 year life span, and its not bad. I myself is guilty of extending the usable life of my tires which I personally know is wrong (this only goes for my tires, wife and daughter's tires are always in good shape)

As for the child seats, I started driving when cars came out of the showroom without seatbelts installed (those old enough will remember that even the Kia CD-5 and Tamaraw FX originally didn't have seatbelts) we all complained when the seatbelt law was implemented (I was even ticketed twice!)

Personally, not using a child seat is like removing the safety features of your car just to save a few $$$. Korean cars in the past have been receiving a lot of flak for removing safety features just to lower the prices of their entry level cars. It's for your child's safety!

10. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

on bike lanes,
    they put them in the roads, as if the cars , buses, trucks, jeepneys have been reduced so much so you give them lesser roads to operate. some bike lanes are on the right like ayala, so lane 4 is the bikes lanes, lane 3 public transportation... buses, jeepneys and taxis are really stopping in the middle of the road to unload and get passengers... QC they have it on the left and right.. left lane along agham but when these bikers go off the road they will have to go to from lane 1 to the sidewalk crossing lanes 2-4 to get there. anong klaseng pag iisip yan. sa government talaga its not the best and the brightest but who you know kaya yan ang nangyayari.

Godfather likes this.
  11. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

I hate the bike lanes along E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave. now that they placed plastic barriers on select sections so only 1 lane per direction is usable for cars. Before, cars can use half of the "full" lane (or whatever you call it) not intended for bikes. Or is it for motorcycles similar to San Juan's motorcycle and bike lane?

12. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

^^^I'm a cyclist, but I have to say that the way they're going about establishing bike lanes leaves a lot to be desired. You can't just lay down paint or barriers on existing roads and declare "There, you have your bike lane!" Too little study has gone into this project and it's inconveniencing motorists as wel as placing cyclists in harm's way. I'm especially skeptical about the narrow two-way bike lanes wherein bikers end up counterflowing against motor vehicles and other bikers.Those seem like an

13. ice

My problem with "bike lanes" and encouraging people to use bikes is that our country does NOT have proper education for road users.

Cars - majority of us learned from a family member who can drive
    Motorcycles - we rode one since we already know how to ride a bike
    Bikes - we've all learned to ride one at an early age. but in reality, riding a bike in a park is NOT the same is riding it in public roads!

I remember taking a driver's license test at Singapore and I realized it was not as easy as the LTO Test

Been driving in NCR for more than a week now and I can't imagine how normal cars, motorcycles and bikes will share (almost) the same road.

raypin, Godfather and gaol like this.
  14. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Yesterday afternoon, the bus lane was clogged up bumper to bumper from Guadalupe to Pioneer as a bus broke down. Kawawa there were 3 ambulances that I saw stuck there.

15. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Re: MVIS
    If it were done honestly and properly then it would have been great. But what do we get? Stories where a casa-maintained BMW fails because of brake pads- the owner goes to the casa, has them checked and sees no problem then returns to MVIS and passes. There’s the story where an AWD-only SUV gets a badly damaged drive train because the speed test didn’t have an AWD setting. It’s Php1,800 plus Php800 for the repeat inspection. There are stories of inspectors failing vehicles where the rear light on driver side is red and the passenger side is white reverse light. They insist that both should be white….not realizing that the red is a fog lamp. Stories like these only feed the ‘pineperahan lang tayo’ mentality. Intention is good but execution is terrible.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  16. ice

My personal take on the MVIS... It's about time that we have it and I find it annoying and disappointing that its not required (as of this time)

Would you trust the MVIS if it was run by LTO? (or LTFRB?)

First issue I see here is that car dealers/service centers did not meet with the MVIS owners/operators to discuss the requirements for a car to pass.
    Tire dealers/manufacturers also did not meet with them for the lifespan of their tires.

We had PUVs before and we've had 2 passenger jeeps whose engines were severely damaged by a service center just to pass the smoke emissions test, so horror stories do happen.

Second issue I have against the MVIS is that car owners need to clear the test to have the car registered.
    IMO, PUVs need to pass the cars every year (TNVs included)
    For private vehicles, maybe they can start having the test from year 5 and yearly thereafter.

In India, a car will have a stringent test on its 15th year and most owners will just scrap their old car than having it fixed to pass the test.

17. fish

fish Member

and i think that they should make government vehicles undergo MVIS first, and then public utility vehicles, and trucks. When that is done, then you can do that to private vehicles.

18. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with this.

raypin likes this.
  19. ice

Basically, the issue I see is ownership of MVIS centers (and yes, since they're all private, we should expect them to be "profit driven" - just like all those relatives and friends we have who started their own smoke emissions center)

If AC (or TMPC) owns a testing center, for cars under their umbrella, would you prefer to send your car there?
    What if your car was a Hyundai, with HARI's horror stories, would you choose them for your inspection? or would you go to an MVIS owned by AC or TMPC

I'm sure if profit was that good, the usual companies would be jumping to the bandwagon to own one.

At present (and the problem I see with local motoring) is that we don't have a standard to define a "road worthy car." We loose our warranty if the repair was made outside the dealership. Very few old cars still bring their cars to the dealership (or service centers) for maintenance.

(I do not own an MVIS and NOT connected to anyone who owns one)
    The MVIS should have been a standard to tell us if a car is road worthy. Maybe the our car's dealership (in some cases, our tires) do not meet their standards which has caused all the bad press.

MVIS didn't know that car was AWD? -> how many stories have you heard about a fuel station loading petrol to a diesel engine?
    Car maintained by dealership failing? -> do you really pay for everything on the dealership's checklist? (I personally ask them to skip items which I feel are not necessary)

20. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Guys, may checkpoints na ba ulit? Like if you’re from coming from Makati Ave going to Mandaluyong, do you get stopped at the Mandaluyong side of Mkti-Mandaluyong bridge?