Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh, so the checkpoints are back on EDSA (in front of Megamall)?

2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes Doc. But UPDATE: As of this morning, the police are still there, with their motorcycles and police cars, but the blue cone lanes have been removed.

docjbr likes this.
  3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

There’s talk about putting up a tollway on EDSA on peak hours. Now, let it run through your head first and see how your brain processes that thought. Is it close to WTF? :ROFLMAO:

I mean if there were alternative routes for large volumes of traffic, then that’s probably feasible.

4. Godfather

Due to the pandemic, a lot of the government's usual income sources have been cut. They need new income sources.

This is the purest definition of HIGHWAY ROBBERY. It is also double taxation.

Expect more creative ways that this government will further tax the middle class, it's favorite whipping boy.

Meanwhile, they have all these inventive proposals because the corrupt will need to maintain the lifestyles that they and their families and concubines have become accustomed to. No revenue, no percentage.

#1104 Godfather, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

stupidest idea i've heard so far.. & I hardly traverse edsa..

Godfather likes this.
  6. king64

king64 Active Member

Maybe make a law requiring govt titles correspond to IQ points.

greta87 and Godfather like this.
  7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm... Ramon Ang has a pending unsolicited proposal to build a steel, elevated highway that can be built in two years. No government action yet. I d pay toll for that, not for the gdamn at-grade, third world Edsa highway.

Godfather likes this.
  8. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Came from Makati last friday. FIrst time I think since the lockdown in March. Still took me 2hrs & 40 mnins from Forbes to Scout area via Edsa!

9. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

DoTr seems to be backtracking on the toll for EDSA. Now they are saying it's just one of several suggestions made several years ago...even during the time when Abalos was MMDA chairman. I like the proposal of RSA to build an elevated toll road way.

raypin and Godfather like this.
  10. raypin

Mm..I dont think rush hour toll is the way to go. In the midst of a pandemic, it is another burden or an onerous govt imposition to motorists who needs to drive laong Edsa every single workday. I m still waiting for the Nlex Slex connector road to open this year. I have confidence that it will help siphon traffic off Edsa for those vehicles traveling north to south and vice versa. If the govt rushes approval to the elevated steel highway, it will effectively double the capacity of Edsa for vehicular traffic. Part of the proposal is a busway along the elevated highway. Another long delayed project is the complete rehab of Edsa. It needs to be lit like a Christmas tree and do get rid of the uneven surface. It will help reduce the number of daily road accidents and it will reduce maintenance costs to vehicle owners. These projects are doable.

Godfather, VicB and greta87 like this.
  11. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Ayusin muna ang existing public transportation system natin at ang sidewalks. Make them safe, convenient and efficient. More than 5months na tayo naka quarantine, sana ginamit nila yung time na yun para pagaralan ang gagawin sa transportation system natin. Para hindi tayo puro trial and error. Building more roads is good pero taon bago matapos mga yun and by the time they are finish we have more cars on the road already. And we should really stop blaming the people kung bakit traffic, yes we lack discipline but that is a result of our government’s inability to provide us with proper infrastructures and an effective transportation system. Just look at us when we are in a country where there is a good system, we do follow them.

12. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Am also looking forward to the NLEX-SLEX connector road. Planning to take that to go from Makati to NLEX. During pre-pandemic, it took longer to go from Makati to NLEX via EDSA than it was to go to Pampanga from NLEX toll entrance.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  13. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm for congestion pricing (if implemented properly, no toll booths, just sensors and cameras) which the LTO can with their new RFID car stickers and Plate capture as a failsafe.

Makes more sense once all the rail lines are done. Subway, MRT 4, LRT 1 extension + Bus lane + Bike paths and sidewalk improvements. With all the choices, people who still choose to drive will most likely afford it.

I think I have to post this again and again: MOVE PEOPLE, NOT CARS.
    We have roughly the same density as Tokyo Metropolitan Area. It's doable.

#1113 rdy0329, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Godfather, VicB and raypin like this.
  14. Godfather

Meanwhile, for those looking forward to alternative routes, progress on the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge has been slow going, considering construction started in January 2019. It was to be expected, even moreso it was hampered by the pandemic. Here's what it looks like now, August 2020:

Here's drone footage taken by the legendary dmitrivalencia back in May 2020 :

raypin likes this.
  15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

16. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

JohannChua, Godfather and raypin like this.
  17. raypin

mmm...more gasoline wasted. More pollution.

Godfather likes this.
  18. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

when the new dotr/mmda took over (duterte admin) they did closed manu u turn slots and installed traffic lights... TOTAL FAIL . they returned the u-turn slots- money wasted. with less than 2 years ang daming experimento nitong DOTR.

ganito ang edsa.. sa kaliwa dedicated bus lanes with concrete barriers na hindi sakto sa linya.. so ung metal slabs na in between lanes, iiwasan mo . ergo wala ka sa linya.. ung 3rd lane dikit na sayo.. then ung rightmost lane.. merong buses again and meron pang bike lane na minsan meron minsan wala..

DOTR din pala ang nag go signal ng airconditioned e-jeeps, sealed vehicle with air circulating just inside , 1 positive person entering in the morning.. ilan kaya mahawa nun? etong DOTR din ang napa implement ng kalokohan na less than 1m distancing then then .50... buti na lang nahinto..hirap kasi ung head nasa clark ba nakatira (?)

#1118 jon1432000, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    raypin, JohannChua and Godfather like this.
  19. Godfather

MMDA DOTR made life harder than it was? That's not news. :)

I just hope they have enough smarts (or morals) to offer alternative routes to the U-turn slots they abolished. When you remove something, you have to provide something back to the people, otherwise, it's a formula for chaos.

JohannChua, gaol and raypin like this.
  20. Godfather

What worries me is the apocalyptic level of traffic that is comign soon. No U-turn slots and no alternative routes (that make sense to motorists) will cause more standstill traffic along EDSA.

The leftmost lane is now exclusive for the carousel buses, while they also occupy the rightmost lanes and they zigzag between the right and the left. Traffic in recent weeks has been worsening due to this.

Then the delapidated jeepneys are set to return to streets everywhere, so expect even more clogging everywhere.

JohannChua, SE20 and raypin like this.