Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I saw a white bull passing by in front of my house. I signaled him to turn around a do a second run, he obliged :LOL:. Probably bored in his house. Cool guy.

2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

MMDA: Barangay quarantine passes not honored at quarantine checkpoints on national highways

“If you’re from Makati and you’re going to Quezon City to buy goods, it is not reasonable,” said Pialago in an interview with CNN Philippines’ Ruth Cabal.

EDSA is now off limits. Well there goes my inter-city (makati to pasig) grocery run. I've only gone once the entire ECQ period.

As usual, it's the few idiots ruining it for the rest of us. A majority of those apprehended appeared to be joy riders, and illegal transporters of people. I guess a lot of bored people decided to drive around.

#1042 Godfather, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    kyubi, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Yesterday was a real question mark. EDSA SB was packed with cars and trucks going somewhere, someplace, somehow evading ECQ. Very foolish and stupid. I was going back after a grocery run and wondered why all of a sudden there was this orange on the Waze app. Couldn’t figure out what people were doing on a Wednesday afternoon.

Later, some HPG people told me that most of those they apprehended yesterday were out on a joy ride, oblivious of the ECQ, doing some inter-city grocery runs, splurging on lower gas prices, or testing the 5-minute Cubao-to-Makati record.

4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Friday, payday, heavy rain... all the ingredients for carmageddon

...in the old days, 2019 BC (before Covid)

Theus, Godfather, hitme64 and 6 others like this.
  5. hitme64

EDSA (from Kamuning to Shaw) is almost deserted around 5pm, maybe because of Ambo. So eerie actually, like some impending doom was coming. Or everyone else was at home putting up pails and buckets for dripping ceilings and roofs.

raypin likes this.
  6. Godfather

Yellow Lanes no more, buses to stay on left side of EDSA

If you're like me, coming from Makati going northbound this morning, then perhaps you've had that familiar taste of EDSA traffic again, after two and a half months of traffic fasting. You can thank the MMDA for that, because they have placed concrete barriers that cut the width of EDSA into half, and dedicated the left two lanes for buses, instead of the former right-most yellow lanes. The bus stops will be along the center islands all along the length of EDSA. Of course one issue may be that all buses only have doors on the right side, so ingress and egress of passengers is now on the opposite side of where they are supposed to embark and disembark.

The result today was incredible bottle-necking for private cars, from Guadalupe to San Juan. As there are many choke points where three to four lanes become two, flow of traffic was slow going. And this is during MECQ, when cars have been fewer and traffic has been pleasantly loose since May 18. Expect hell to be unleashed on Monday June 1, when we enter GCQ and a majority of businesses officially resume normal operations. The volume of private cars will choke these bottlenecks.

Thanks for bringing back traffic MMDA! You truly are "traffic enforcers."

#1046 Godfather, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    kyubi and hitme64 like this.
  7. hitme64

^Isn’t it what’s great about having come out from lockdown unscathed and ready to face the new normal world? ;) My understanding is only P2P buses will traverse EDSA not provincial buses, not stop anywhere ones, not regular traffic jamming ones. Apparently MMDA will open access points on the center lane for people to get off these buses and walk through platforms and sky walks to the other side. That would make all lanes to the right open and free for all, removing one of the most insidious traffic congestions off EDSA: bus stops and the people waiting all over them, essentially occupying nearly two lanes of the roadway.

Update: So this is how it’s gonna be come June 1:
    4BC3BB0B-60AE-4559-985E-5034A5FE4672.jpeg
    1C034B08-A77D-45A5-9F2F-5B65A745FC80.jpeg

8B8062E3-D05F-4384-9D07-47A0A4D03BFD.jpeg

#1047 hitme64, May 29, 2020
    Godfather likes this.
  8. Godfather

^ Thanks for the info, Chief. If it means fewer buses and the eventual phasing out of the delapidated death traps called jeepneys, then I'm all for it. I hope this scheme works.

I'd give it a chance, but if today was any indication, just two lanes dedicated for hundreds of thousands of private cars, then also having stops for pedestrian crossings (where The Beatles are crossing in the infographic) and then killing one lane for bus stops (?) is sure to be a terrific recipe for super traffic. We'll see for real next week. Hope I'm wrong.

I guess I will just have to add a couple more podcasts to listen to for the expected traffic jams come Monday.

#1048 Godfather, May 29, 2020
    Roman and hitme64 like this.
  9. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

That same design could be implemented along Commonwealth Avenue, too. Those jeepneys and buses competing for passengers are the major culprit.

10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...new experiment and we are the guinea pigs:

7CC2CF4F-1CE6-4D98-9F06-C3BBD0C1CCC0.png

And Pdex crossings along Edsa will be allowed once again AFTER the government spent god knows what to make them extinct with the constructions of elevated Pdex crossing. Also, welcome bicycle lanes. Inagaw isang lane x 2 along edsa. Lol! Tingnan natin kapag normal na traffic.

So instead na maghihintay sa pedestrian sidewalk mga bus passengers, they will now be forced to cross Edsa and wait where? Right in the middle of the bus lanes to enter the bus with doors to the right of the bus. Apparently, this is not a huge problem for the genius who created this supersmart traffic scheme. Apparently, adding 15 or so Pdex crossing (one per bus stop) will not create problems along Edsa because apparently, the genius does not realize that those 15 or so at-grade Pdex crossing to reach the buses ARE NOT additional sagabal sa traffic. Think of it as an obstacle course as cars and pedestrian/ bus commuters merge right in the middle of Edsa. Gluck with that. So, lagyan ng 15 or so signal lights along Edsa to keep everyone safe. Lol! Gluck with that too.

lol!

#1050 raypin, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Godfather and hitme64 like this.
  11. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

elevated walkalator na lang on the stretch of edsa with all exits linked to malls, nobody will take buses anymore,

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  12. hitme64

Eto magulo...

Buses still to use Yellow Lanes until new bus lanes are ready, says MMDA (Mas Magulo Dapat Alisin).

Godfather and raypin like this.
  13. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

The government had more than two months to come up with better solutions to our public transportation woes. I hoped they used those time to fix them!

Godfather and raypin like this.
  14. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    They obviously didn't. As usual, the intention is good, but lacks proper planning and execution.

hitme64 and Godfather like this.
  15. Godfather

The past two weeks of MECQ, traffic has been wonderful. Why ruin a good thing? Why even build new bus stops? Why even transfer the bus lanes from the left side yellow lanes to the inner right middle lanes and then build new bus stops? Why introduce pedestrian crossings to a highway? The MMDA is the equivalent of panic buying toilet paper during the start of this epidemic. They are just mindlessly doing things just for the sake of doing something.

Do we really need the MMDA? Or are they as @hitme64 said and I agree, Mas Magulo Dapat Alisin? This agency and their actions just make no damn sense.

Mykolant, VicB, hitme64 and 1 other person like this.
  16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...they experimented with middle road bus stops in one city in India. Predictably, it did not work because of the chaos of pedestrians crossing the street trying to reach the bus stations in the middle. It will probably work for now because the normal traffic volume is not there yet but once we go into post- quarantine period, it will be a new mess for everyone. Maiipit lahat.

We ll see. Maybe this is the miracle solution.Just brace yourself for 11 new traffic lights for the first phase of this grand experiment.

hitme64 likes this.
  17. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the solution would be to make bus companies state owned. Give the staff salaries and benefits. Train the drivers to be strict about the schedule and stops. This would really reduce the number of busses on the roads and the traffic jams caused by competitive behavior.

18. hitme64

The de-privatization of public utility buses was almost done before until its labor unions called it “anti-labor, anti-poor, and anti-human rights.” Of course, we give more credence to these cretins lest we start a shooting war in Congress and in the streets. Let’s just say that the wise words of the great Solita Monsod echo in eternity: “We will not give up the God-given right to control our own destiny, to hell with government.” And so be it.

19. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

If the government could not take over the bus companies, it should force the companies to merge into larger but fewer companies. Each would have exclusive zones to operate in. This would hopefully have the same effect since there would be no competition.

20. Godfather

As predicted, traffic jams were successfully restored to EDSA by the MMDA (Magnificent Morons Dolts and Assholes) today, Monday June 1.

Notice in some photos, the buses were on the right, and yet the inner left lanes were reserved for the Hogwarts Invisible Buses. Thousands of private cars were bottlenecked and squeezed into two lanes. What was a 25 minute ride from Makati to Balintawak the past two weeks instantly turned into more than 60 minutes. The car volume doesn't seem to be all that much different from the MECQ period, maybe 10% to 20% more cars I'd say. It's just that we were all squeezed into two lanes.

Common sense would dictate that while the MMDA's P33 million peso new bus stops and inner lane construction is not yet completed, maybe for the next two weeks or so, PERHAPS don't blockade the entire lanes JUST YET and let the motorists use it in the meantime? Wouldn't that be logical? Kesa ngayon, WALANG NAKINABANG sa MAHIWAGANG LANES.

To be fair to the historically inept MMDA, they are only acting on the orders of the DOTr, the executives of which I doubt ever use EDSA or traverse any terrestrial street, but instead travel exclusively by helicopter.

20200601_073501p.jpg
    20200601_075052p.jpg
    20200601_075100p.jpg

20200601_075522p.jpg

#1060 Godfather, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020