Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Something must’ve been done in the past few weeks because traffic now seems lighter, vehicles are moving, and buses stay in their lanes. I took a 35-minute car ride from Santolan to Makati Avenue on a Tuesday morning, in a notoriously rush hour of 830AM. There were no pockets of slowed unmoving traffic though EDSA speed was 12kph, still an improvement from the average 4-5kph in recent months. It is expected to build up this December of course but maybe “some” people are now getting the hang of it because everything is moving.

Can’t say the same about the damn MRT and LRT though.

Juice likes this.
  2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't know, Ray. Right now I'm just selfishly thinking I can ride from home to work, both have enough parking space for a bicycle. But yes, for the masses who have to park in public places, that is a concern. Foldable bikes that you can bring with you? I dunno. I am just excited at the possibility of exercise, lessened emissions, fewer cars and mas maluwag streets.

Meanwhile :

Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 update as of October 2019

This guy Dimitri Valencia is amazing.

raypin likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Wife: since our condo is at XXX, we should buy a folding bike!
    Me: great! Funan just opened and I heard great things about Brompton bikes!

After seeing the prices and multiplying by 2...

Me: I think we should just buy a used car for coding :)

Traffic is always there.

I think our local traffic is similar to Bangkok, Jakarta and Mumbai.

Either you live near where you work... or make your travel more comfortable...

Just sharing during my last Manila trip...

Sis-in-law and her husband needs an hour each for shower and getting ready. Then off to their separate cars for work.

My suggestion... sell both cars and buy and RV... Imagine the time saved if they can shower while stuck in traffic :)

vtf and Godfather like this.
  4. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

If it catches on, parking will still be a problem (although granted you'll need less real estate). Case in point:

Bike parking in Amsterdam Central Station, The Netherlands. Where there are more bikes than people....

[​IMG]

Here's another pic (I wonder how you can remember where you parked your bike):

Attached Files:

Mykolant and Godfather like this.
  5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....more:

There's a reason why bicycling in progressive cities are allowed but only if they use dedicated bicycle lanes where it is safe for all involved. Bicycles are SLOW. They have no turn signals. No brake lights. No headlights. Are we, car owners, supposed to have superhuman telephatic ability to divine where those bicycles are going to go next?

Imagine a bunch of them, say, 20 to 30 strong, taking up the rightmost lane. What happens to the cars behind them? Imagine further that several jeepneys or city buses have to unload or load passengers on that very same lane? What do you think the bicyclists will do? Lane shift to the middle lanes.....what happens to the cars? Of course they have to just follow.....at the speed of the bicyclists.......that would be 10 kph or slower. Imagine the chain reaction down the narrow congested city roads.

For edsa that's fine since the bicyclists are using dedicated, elevated bike lanes. I have no quarrel with that. But allowing use of edsa MEANS allowing bicycles to use ALL roads in Metro Manila. No limits.

So, why not designate the rightmost lane as bicycle lanes?

Over my dead body. Kulang na nga, babawasan pa nila daanan ng mga kotse. I m paying road user's tax and have expensive car insurance and pay the LTO for registration year after year. I want my damn roads to be clear of all obstructions. No to bicycles. I do not want to deal with pests on the road.

If this is allowed, God help us when the bike sharing companies like those in China will invade Metro Manila. We ll have the exact same problem they face. Tens of thousands of bikes parked or abandoned everywhere.

China bicycle problem,:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/photo/556268/?espv=1

#865 raypin, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Godfather likes this.
  6. ice

Exactly why I hate e-scooters (and other 2 wheelers)

While on the right most lane of an intersection... can I turn right? what will the 2 wheeler beside me do?

Dropping a passenger... You have to check if a 2-wheeler is approaching!

(I've read somewhere that turning right even during a red signal is an American thing...)

Mykolant, gaol and raypin like this.
  7. raypin

Mm....stupid stupid stupid LTO:

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/11859...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1572946783

Each has 100 traffic rule violations.....isang daang tickets per driver.....LTO say DUE PROCESS will be observed. Wtf?! Driving is a PRIVELEGE, not a right. Those f....idiot bus drivers with 100 tickets each SHOULD BE banned from driving for life NOW. :cry::mad:

LTO: oh sabi ng mmda, ang dami mong ticket? Bat ang dami mo ticket?
    Driver: di po yun tutuo.
    LTO: ah ganun, o sige, mag promise ka na di na mauulit.
    Driver : opo.
    LTO: sure ka ha. Pramis ha.
    Driver: opo. Eto po pala pinadala ni....

Mmda: anyare?
    Lto: eh....nag conduct kami ng inbestigasyon eh...and eto...promissory note galing sa driver. Di na daw uulit pa.
    Mmda: putra......Eh anong nagyari sa 100 tickets?
    Lto: ah yun tickets pinabigay na lang namin sa mga batang lansangan. Ginamit nila toilet paper.
    (canned laughter).

#867 raypin, Nov 6, 2019
    Godfather likes this.
  8. mcarlos223

mcarlos223 Member

Here in california it is! As long as you're in the rightmost lane, no incoming cars, walang tumatawid, no sign na no turns on red. Might as well antayin nalang mag-green sa dami ng kelangan i-check!

9. raypin

Mm...the rule here is you can turn right even on red for as long as there is no traffic sign that says no right on red and provided you yield to oncoming traffic since you are merging with their lane. They have right of way. This is allowed when there is only a solid red light. If there is a red, directional signal (—>), you must wait for it to turn green.

Beware: traffic signages in Manila are often obscured from view (deliberately or not). Me mga nagaabang na buwaya.

Godfather likes this.
  10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

I imagine those bikes would hit our shores if ever they implement that. If motorcycles are a pain in the road driving with, what more hundreds of cheaper bicycles.

11. hitme64

^Amsterdam has an oversupply of bicycles that they actually declared a state of emergency. In fact, there are nearly 900K bicycles for around 880K permanent residents there. Nonetheless, the Dutch consider bicycling as synonymous to their culture and would never forego this means of transportation. In contrast there are only 320K vehicles in The Netherlands, mostly in Amsterdam.

Take into account Metro Manila’s population vis-a-vis the number of bicycles if it is ever allowed as a primary means of transportation. There would likely be a declaration of a state of emergency from all the bikes, including the lack of parking spaces, the clogged lanes, and the cycling accidents. (n)

raypin, gaol and Godfather like this.
  12. raypin

Mm..just thinking.....maybe a bike closed-loop system will work.

Construct the elevated bike lanes for edsa. No outside bikes. Let’s make it rental bike. Terminal in North Edsa. Rent one, take the on ramp. Bike all the way to Ayala Makati area. Leave bike at bike terminal in Makati.Take public transpo for last mile commute to work. After office, same thing. Make it weatherproof so covered ang bike lanes.

Bale, point to point lang sa umpisa. Bike terminal to bike terminal only. Closed loop. No f... bikes on my roads. No pests.

To make it sustainable, no public investment. Private company will construct, maintain and operate the system. No taxpayers’ money.

You are welcome to breathe as much of MM air pollutants as you want. It is very healthy.

#872 raypin, Nov 6, 2019
    Godfather likes this.
  13. ice

what if... 1 big walkalator... Monumento to Mall of Asia :)

Godfather and raypin like this.
  14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Ok, the Skyway ramp from Alabang Zapote Road has significantly improved. Still traffic, but it's has improved significantly because now, there are several Skyway officers directing traffic in a zipper type taking turns, and on a "Y" merging of 4 lanes. From 30 minutes from entrance of Zapote down to less than 10 minutes. Kudos the the Skyway management.

raypin likes this.
  15. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't know why I even try EDSA. Left Balintawak last night at 6:00 pm, arrived in Makati at 9:00 pm.

I guess the Christmas shopping season has begun. There are just much, much too many cars on this very tiny highway.

I'm breaking up with you EDSA. It's not me, it's you.

If you see Kay EDSA. If you see Kay very much.

#875 Godfather, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    kyubi, raypin and Juice like this.
  16. raypin

Mm....a few more months or by 2020-2021, your daily commute from Balintawak to Makati will be a thing of the past once the new skyway linking north to south becomes fully operational. No more edsa ever. 20 minutes or less to Buendia possible.

bugs and Godfather like this.
  17. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope so! I remember when the MRT was being constructed, an official said the same thing. "When the MRT is done, traffic in Edsa would non existent." Hopefully with this new skyway, it really would be.

18. raypin

Mm...walang forever. Skyway pa more. Temporary solution. Hopefully by the time the new Skyway system becomes saturated, the two subways will be fully operational. Hopefully, the subway lines will multiply to cover all areas of the Metro. Yun ang long- term solution.

We are still playing catch-up with traffic brought about by population growth.

19. hitme64

For us, it’s been to accommodate current traffic, build new skyways. In other countries, they build skyways to accommodate future traffic.

raypin likes this.
  20. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

MRT-3's design was gimped. Imagine a major thoroughfare with LIGHT RAIL trains plying that route. It should have been stopped in favor of a wider train like that of LRT-2 or HK's MTR.

It's either they were trying to save cost or bus franchise operators lobbied for a downgraded system. That coupled with controversy and private ownership woes stalled any capacity expansion that would have helped minimize congestion on the road.

kyubi and chorizo like this.