Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just give us one city, just one, to declare a carless day and see what will happen. Baguio did it on Session Road once or twice. But some idiot broke through the barriers and parked his car beside a restaurant to eat there. Davao did it also but alas, even their feisty mayor couldn’t hold her water bag and gave out exemptions.

I want to see them try it in Pasig or Mandaluyong for starters. Pasig has the worst interior traffic now because some moron adviser to the mayor (was it his mother?) removed number-coding and granted free for all access to everyone, including trucks. Mandaluyong should have this people walkways for those going to the malls and allow them unrestricted access to interior roads without dodging cars and trucks and two-wheelers.

Well, of course, it’s all a dream. Someone told me it won’t happen. I told him he should also stop bitching about inching his large SUV in traffic if he didn’t believe in it.

Sunil_K likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

It will only look good on the next day's morning paper.

Just imagine making Ayala Ave car free... Everyone with a car will need to find parking in the nearest street... Yes Ayala will look good, but getting there with your car will be worse.

I was reading a local interview earlier...

Guy suggested an elevated walk/bike lane with AC/from Monumento till the end of EDSA. I think it will actually work. Magic word is A/C!

Godfather likes this.
  3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Elevated bike path or like this cycleway in Xiamen will work. And it sounds fun too! :) I wouldn't mind taking a bicycle to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neldeles and rbenzon like this.
  4. ice

^I remember the malls of Bangkok are also connected but an elevated walkway...

Cheaper to make (since people+bikes) are lighter than cars.

+AC & usable toilets will be perfect.

On a rush hour, raining Friday payday. It's literally faster to walk.

5. hitme64

The premise is that you don't bring in a car. You walk. And then you learn if it's worth it, not because it looks good on any morning paper but because it feels good enough for someone, like us perhaps, to do something. We can't be indifferent because we don't like the idea and think it'll just heal itself. Four of five people in this country don't give a rat's ass about what they can do about it and yet complain the most. Nothing will happen and nothing good will happen that way.

#845 hitme64, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I like the Mexico City example:

1B1F3F53-BC50-44EF-BD01-7C0F03CB180C.jpeg

Easy to construct, minimal engineering footprint, less expensive to construct, fast implementation....can be connected to transport terminals like those in malls, connect to major transport hubs, point to point siya....like mall to mall or mall to city hall or.....the space above ground is underutilized. And you can connect Stations utilizing the “the shortest distance between two points is a straight line” principle.

#846 raypin, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  7. ice

Every country in the world... Car owners will bring their cars... To work, to the city, to school, to the nearest MRT/bus station. What makes us different?

I've read somewhere that Makati's population during the day was more than 10x of it's night time population. Even if you implement a car free Makati, QC and Cavite guys will drive to the closest city.

So a car free Fairview? Commonwealth will still be jammed.

8. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

9. hitme64

Ano ba talaga ibig sabihin ng car-free city? It means a population center that relies heavily on its mass transport system, on walking, or cycling within the said urban area. To get there, private or public transport will disengage people within the periphery of said center, to allow them the freedom to walk, to bike, or to take mass transit only.

So if Makati, Pasig, Taguig or Mandaluyong is designated as car-free, those coming from QC, Manila, and elsewhere will have to park their cars in some designated place before the city or take the mass transit going there.

We can all attack these proposals and say it’s not feasible here because we have cars, and we love our cars, and we want to drive, and we don’t depend on mass transit because they’re shit, and we hate walking or cycling, and we hate government, and we have our opinions on that and we feel we’re always correct, and lastly we just don’t give a shit. We may actually never come up with a solution because we always think about ourselves. And that’s why any idea, any proposal fails in this country.

neldeles and rbenzon like this.
  10. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

For me, if we're gonna do it, we have to do it right. Whilst the cable car is viable and as you said easy to construct, etc. I would rather have subways and all above electrical wires underground. I for one do not understand why our government does not require our utility companies to build everything underground. We are a typhoon prone country and instead of repairing electric lines, phone lines, etc. that are above ground each time there is a typhoon. For the countryside, you can have the transmission lines, etc.

Electric lines and poles are an eye sore. Reclaim side walks to promote people to walking. Mass Transportation is still the key to easing traffic aside from tightening the issuance of drivers license, phasing out old cars / jeepneys. Rationalizing bus lines (i for one vote for one or two bus consortium with government participation), implementing bus stops, phasing out old jeeps, tricycles and the padyaks.

Anyway i'm ranting and will do a more coherent post next time.

raypin likes this.
  11. ice

Yes... Then going to the designated car park... Traffic. Sad part... While inside the "car free area." You'll be wet when it rains, sweaty when its hot (while waiting for your ride).

As I mentioned in previous pages... I tried commuting... When the MRT3 was new... Lasted 3 months!

Even in cities with good public transport... People prefer to use their own cars. I remember years ago when petrol prices went up... My Japanese colleague told me he sold his car as he can no afford longer afford to drive it to work everyday.

At the rate we're going... Only solution to the traffic is if the developers give up $$$ for affordable housing...

Imagine if Ayala built an affordable (1-2M) condo along Ayala and Makati ave.

Same with SM along MOA/Taguig; Torre/SM along Taft.

They earned $$$ by developing the office building anyway...

12. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

Then driving a car should be cost prohibitive enough that people will be "disincentivized" to bring their car out. As it is, parking prices and annual registration fees are way too cheap that everyone who has a car, brings their car out even when unnecessary.

13. raypin

Mm...two subways are being constructed...one running from Valenzuela to Naia and the other covering Makati CBD. A monorail is also being constructed to service Guadalupe Edsa to BGC.Two LRTs are well into the construction period, one from Trinoma SM North to San Jose Del Monte Bulacan and another one to Bacoor Cavite (LRT 1 Extension).

Juice likes this.
  14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

By the way, those tunneling machines are very fast.

raypin likes this.
  15. ice

Speaking of Subways...

Singapore has law that land below 30m from sea level belongs to the government. Hence it's easy for them to dig tunnels...

We should have a similar law to solve our right of way issues.

raypin likes this.
  16. ice

In Singapore... Owning a car is more expensive than taking Grab everyday.

Plus the quota on the number of cars LTA will allow per year, which causes a bidding for COEs... Everyone still wants to own one! And once they have one, they drive it every day.

Juice likes this.
  17. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

For those using the Skyway ramp from Zapote road, I'm sure you already know how problematic this part of the Skyway is. There's an accident there, almost everyday now. Yet there are no Skyway personel helping out. It's only when there's an accident. That part really needs someone telling the drivers how to properly merge. There was a small fender bender behind me this morning. It wasn't big, but enough to stall the traffic a bit.

...a bit off topic but I have a weird story to tell.

I got fed up with the daily traffic and decided to hire another driver. I called the agency and they sent one driver. during the interview, his name sounded familiar but I didn't think much of it. I hired him and the next day, I noticed he was sometimes staring at me. An hour later after arriving in the office, he knocked on my door and said, "sir, do you remember me?". He sounded like he knew how to speak English very well. "Over 30 years ago sir, we were classmates!". Now, I remember why his name was familiar. It turns out he was my classmate from high school (won't name it). We got to talking and he told me his story and why he ended up as a family driver. He used to work at a bank that closed down and from there, his life's path didn't seem to be going in the right direction anymore. I told him, that I couldn't keep him as my driver, and that's when I saw despair in his eyes. I told him, I can' make him drive for me and order him around. It would be too weird. So, I put him up with a different company as a clerk instead. Hopefully, he'll get a second chance even though we're a bit older now.

Emorej, Godfather, isaak and 9 others like this.
  18. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

raypin likes this.
  19. ice

this proposal makes a lot of sense... plus it's cheaper to build than a flyover for cars...

Elevated Bike/E-Scooter and walkway above EDSA

Godfather likes this.
  20. raypin

Mm....limited utility for the edsa bike lanes because what happens once you exit edsa and start plying the narrow city streets with NO dedicated bike lanes to reach your destination? Only a few, major city streets have designated bike lanes. What about parking? Where will you park thousands of bicycles? Also, liability issue: in case of accidents caused by bicyclists, who or how will they pay for collision damage? Pasensya na lang ba? We are talking of merging 4 wheel with two wheels, motorized with bicycle traffic. Factor in rains and dimly lit streets and bicycles would become road hazards with no lights and small reflectorized thingies. Of course they will hog the car lanes and the sidewalks. What happens to pedestrians?

I think it will be chaotic. As it is, this creates more problems than it solves.

The thing is Metro Manila road infra was not built with bicycles in mind.

In China:
    BC3D7296-0A9E-4AFF-A850-7D6F25425300.jpeg

In London:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/41320...ire-for-causing-traffic-chaos-in-the-capital/

Imagine 50,000 bicycles allowed in Ayala, Taft, Shaw, Ortigas Av, Espana, Aurora and E Rod.

#860 raypin, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Godfather and macjobber like this.