Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Finally. Somebody mentioned about this NAIAX traffic spillover to Skyway. Coming from QC and avoiding EDSA going to Terminal 2, we plied through the manila-pandacan area and climbed the Skyway at Buendia. Before even reaching the EDSA segment of the Skyway, the build-up of those staying on the right lane to NAIAX is already long. Yun pala, it's caused by those taking the Nichols ramp to Skyway but heading towards Bicutan/Sucat/Alabang, NOT NAIAX. Hard lesson when rushing to catch a flight: use the Nichols ramp to NAIAX.

ericb, kyubi and raypin like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I dunno what they did today but EDSA was moving like a well-oiled gun barrel. Not one bus made an undesignated stop, nor were private vehicles hogging the yellow lanes. Idiot jaywalkers were gone and blue-shirted traffic enforcers were enforcing traffic. Like a dream...

Kaya naman pala eh bakit kasi bumabalik sa dating gawi ke pastilan mga ugok!

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  3. 31gna

31gna Active Member

.. and the traffic below that Magallanes ramp going to Skyway stretches all the way to Edsa.

Is this a design problem? Im not a road expert, engineer, architect but I see a lot of this. This is one case where the ramp going up the Skyway from magallanes is built before the exit going to Naiax - causing traffic as of course the tendency of the those going up the ramp is to go left while those on the skyway going to naia are wanting to go right.
    Going North just across is the same, the ramp going down to magallanes from the skyway is built after the the up ramp from naiax causing slowdown, traffic as well.

greta87 and imart like this.
  4. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Interesting. Perhaps in previous trips, I usually started my journeys from Paseo de Magallanes before heavy evening rush hour, taking the Nichols/Magallanes Skyway entry without much issues; sticking to the right lane on climb towards NAIAX toll booths didn't require any crisscrossing.

Frankly, napaisip din ako about how to resolve this. Tayo uli ng panibagong flyover?? :D

raypin likes this.
  5. hitme64

And just like that, bumalik sa dating gawi ang trapiko sa EDSA. This must be because when darkness sets in, it becomes difficult for MMDA enforcers to direct traffic, apprehend number coding violators, and chastise stupid bus drivers. Once again, these professed idiots of the road took most of the middle lanes, dodging other buses and loading passengers in the middle of the road. So it isn't just about roads and skyways and infrastructure but it's still the megalomaniac PUB drivers who literally think they are kings of the road and can get away with it, to hell with us private car owners and passengers.

Mental note: Along Guadalupe are scores of hamog kids waiting to pounce on jeepneys and private vehicles so avoid the right side lane like dengue. But this didn't prevent some of these salot ng bayan running in the middle and jumping into jeepneys or motorbikes and snatching what they can.

raypin likes this.
  6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Skyway was built before NAIAX even became an idea, that Magallanes ramp was there to feed Skyway from cars coming from EDSA & Pasay.

NAIA 3 exit was added later on. Using Skyway from Amorsolo/Makati to NAIA 3 exit costs 20 pesos before (now 35). The design was fine then since the expected volume isn't feeding a different expressway, just a few cars going to the new Airport. That was 10 years ago.

A new off-ramp should be constructed BEFORE the magallanes on-ramp to connect to NAIAX (cars from Makati/Skyway Stage 3 could exit using that), it's important now more than ever.

Magallanes on-ramp will feed Alabang-bound Skyway and NAIAX cars only (no exit for cars coming from the left lane).

31gna likes this.
  7. bernx

bernx Member

Manila as a whole is too congested not only when it comes to its population and its transportation, but also in terms of works, businesses, goods sources and its transshipments; everything is jam-packed here, and the traffic flow definitely gets worsen during normal weekdays as the people from other provinces around are going in here to do business transactions, buy goods, work, etc. Chaos would cease for a while during holidays and long vacation, the only viable solution I see is to loosen up Manila, move out goods hubs and ports out of Manila, as one very good thing is malls are now almost everywhere around Luzon, no need for others to travel around here from outside Metro Manila to shop from, not mention that we can do shopping now online.

8. hitme64

^Go to Cebu, or to Cagayan de Oro, and people there say the same thing. It's worse in their cities, they'll say. Years ago, you can travel without any buses stopping in front of you or jeepneys unloading in non-designated stops. Downtown Cebu has the worst traffic congestion 4PM onwards and in the one month I was there shuttling from venue to venue during APEC, I kinda feel I lost some years and grew older with the traffic. Same with CDO which I had lived in for almost 10 years. Today, it'll take you almost 3 hours from their airport (which they relocated away from the city itself) to the center of town. That bad...

We're still lucky we can still improve and expand infrastructure to accommodate the burgeoning transportation requirements. We have trains. We have skyways. We have flyovers. But we have the worst humans on the road: bus drivers. That just limits our expectations actually.

Juice and raypin like this.
  9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Traffic on a rainy day? I just had the weirdest drive just to cross from Salcedo to Legaspi here in Makati. The normal route for me would be, Rufino and cross Ayala Avenue. I got stuck for approximately 20 minutes just getting to Rufino from San Agustin street. I decided to go straight and try to get to Paseo instead, because Rufino is just terrible, and only to realize I should have just stuck to Rufino, cause Paseo was also jammed. By now, it has taken me 45 minutes so I tried to go back to Rufino but it seems like a terrible idea. Next choice? WTH, I'll try EDSA. Why not? It's been an hour already anyway. I wish I didn't let go of my crazy driver! EDSA was even worse! Maybe, I should just go back to my office in Salcedo? I did, and it took me only 10 minutes to go back. Now, I'm back in my office, and hoping traffic will ease up after an hour(wishful thinking).

Godfather, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...was he the one who likes to sing while driving?

I ve had my share of crazy drivers. One of the worst was a hot-tempered guy. One day, he nearly collided with another car. He reversed the car then opened his window.....PI and other unutterable curses rained from his mouth.

All the while I just sat there....stunned....I let him go a week later.

Mababaril ako kung me nakasagutan siya katulad niyang driver. :mad:

#810 raypin, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Godfather, Juice and hitme64 like this.
  11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Ah, family or company drivers, that could be a thread on its own haha.

One of my drivers was an ex-soldier, styled himself as macho, crew cut hairstyle and ramrod straight back. The first time he encountered Waze, he was insulted, like, why am I taking orders from this lady? "Sir, inuutusan na naman ako niyan, a," he said, shaking his head, indignantly.

Another one was a real gangster. I was never worried about going anywhere or parking anywhere with that guy. He scared away street gangs easily.

There was another one who did not believe in stopping at intersections!

My favorite was the driver that my wife could not stand and finally fired in the middle of EDSA. He got off the car and I never saw him again.

#811 SE20, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Sunil_K, Godfather, Juice and 2 others like this.
  12. hitme64

I’ve had my driver and security for three years now as one of the perks of being, well, old and wise. My driver has had 25 years of experience driving for other top goons in government, and I am one of the meek ones now. My security is a certified sniper school graduate, close quarter combat shooter and best of all, does not see, does not hear, does not say anything unless told to. I leave it to the two of them to sort out traffic in their own way. By no means have I used nor abused the usage of sirens or klaxons on the road unlike the top kahunas and mosquitoes who thrive on them. So it’s just me and them in our nondescript vehicle of choice.

Just today, we almost had two near car misses, one errant PU jeepney, one moronic bus driver, one extremely idiotic traffic enforcer from the South, and a lady driver who likes talking on her phone while driving. They were all our 1-1/2 hour entertainment from Cubao to Pasig. I didn’t experience any of them though; they told me of tales of disorder while on lunch break. All the time I was asleep because I knew they’d take care of the troubles ahead.

I’m taking them with me on my next tour of duty, maybe in some private capacity but still not to high enough as to endure life’s most satisfying route, EDSA.

Jess, lsalapare, Dekra and 5 others like this.
  13. Juice

Supporter

Yup, that's the one. Did I mention he farts and blames the outside air?

Yeah, that is a potential threat. With tempers high, and a side arm, the other driver just might make a mistake on using his.

SE20, raypin and Godfather like this.
  14. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

My favorite driver stories all happened to my father in the late 80s to early 90s :

Let's start with Mang Juan:

After a meeting at a hotel, my dad was waiting for the driver to bring the car around to the entrance. The driver arrived, and my dad opened the rear passenger side door to get in. Just then a friend of his called out to him, so he closed the door to talk to his friend. The driver then drove off. My dad was left standing there, puzzled. This was before cellphones were widely used, so there was no way to call the driver.

Ten minutes later, the driver comes around again with the car. My dad says to him, "Parang may nakalimutan ka no? Ako!"

Mang Juan: Pasensya na po sir, akala ko sumakay na kayo e.

Dad: E kailan mo nalaman na wala ka palang pasahero?

Mang Juan: Tinanong ko po kasi kayo tatlong beses, kung saan tayo pupunta, hindi kayo sumasagot. Pag lingon ko sa likod, wala palang tao.

:p

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mang Mario :

Again, this was when cellphones were a new thing. They were driving along, my dad was in the back seat as per usual.

My dad takes out his cellphone, calls home and talks to the maid: "Umuwi na ba si Mark?"

Mang Mario (who is driving and doesn't turn around, thinking my dad was addressing him): Ho? Nung pag alis natin, wala pa po siya.

Dad (still talking to the maid): Anong oras siya nakarating?

Mang Mario: Hindi pa nga ho nakauwi si Mark pag alis natin.

Dad (to the maid): Kumain na ba siya?

Mang Mario: Hindi ko pa alam.

Dad: Mario, hindi ikaw ang kausap ko!

:p

-------------------------------------------------------------------

byt_898, Jess, bowser and 7 others like this.
  15. hitme64

^we can actually create a new thread about experiences with drivers. Kuwentong drayber :LOL:

Can also be sad remembering former drivers. My children’s driver in the 90s, I learned, has cancer of the esophagus recently. Stage 4. He was the most patient one I had the opportunity to have driven us all. He was also a womanizer and a hard drinker. But he was never drunk when driving.

Before I returned to chauffeuring my wife, we had an obnoxious driver who literally left my car after bumping a small kid. The scum went on the run leaving me with damage to my front bumper, a broken side mirror and lost probably 50 pesos in a coin purse, and hospitalization expenses for the boy. Just last year he showed up at my office begging me to get him again saying let bygones be bygones. I wanted to chop his neck, but instead I gave him 50 pesos and told him to go home because I didn’t want him.

Godfather, raypin and Juice like this.
  16. Juice

Supporter

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stories. I also have a lot of them. But, is it cruel though? Here's a sample.

Driver: Boss, ang apelyedo pala ng Sto Niño eh Phenomenon?

Me: Bakit?

Driver: Kasi sabi sa radyo El Niño Phenomenon eh.

Step Mother was cooking.

SM: Bili ka ng red pepper.

Driver: Opo Maam ilan po?

SM: Kahit 5 lang.

Driver comes back with red paper from National Bookstore. o_O (Oo mga naman)

I have more but we need another thread.

17. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

It excites me to read this thread. My next goal is to employ a driver so I won't have to spend 15 mins in BGC just to spot a parking slot because 15 mins can already do me a lot of stuff. :cry::cry:

Juice and hitme64 like this.
  18. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Mang Mario II

In the early 90s, my dad and I went to a store along Banawe. Mang Mario goes to park just across the street.

After fifteen minutes, we finish buying. We see Mario has parked across the street. We can see him in the driver's seat.

We wave to him to come and pick us up because it had started drizzling. He doesn't seem to see us because he is not moving.

It had begun to rain. We cross the street without an umbrella, because the umbrella is in the car.

All the doors are locked. We see that Mario is fast asleep.

We knock on the window to wake him up. He doesn't budge. By this time my dad and I were both drenched.

We are banging on the door panels now, and Mario still doesn't wake. His head is tilted back and it looks like he's snoring with his mouth open.

We are shouting, screaming, trying to get his attention. The rain has turned into a heavy downpour, and we are wet through to our underwear and socks.

I say to my dad, maybe Mario is dead. My dad says, if he isn't, he will be.

Then suddenly Mario wakes up visibly startled, sees us and unlocks the doors in a panic. We hurriedly get inside, looking like we had been dunked in a pool.

You can imagine the tongue lashing and the volume of it that Mario got from my old man during the ride home. I think I lost some of my hearing.

No Mang Mario was never fired, in fact, he stayed on with us for a few more years. He was actually a very nice guy.

He eventually retired though. I don't know what happened to him, but I am fairly certain that wherever he is right now...

the Legendary Mang Mario is laying on his back, and his mouth is open. :p

imart, Sunil_K, Mykolant and 4 others like this.
  19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Sunil_K likes this.
  20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^makes a lot of sense... although I can already imagine the noise that road will make...

raypin likes this.