Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

while reading up on articles about the Estrella-Pantaleon bridge issue, I came across this DPWH funded video for its Build Build Build projects in one of the comments posted...

relevant for the bridge issue is at the 4:28 mark of the video.... so apparently there are 13 bridge projects earmarked for Metro Manila.. additional connections across Pasig River & Marikina River..

Not sure though if these can even be completed since much of the BBB projects are supposed to be funded by revenue generated by the TRAIN tax law.. some sectors are calling for the suspension of certain provisions of the TRAIN law that are said to be anti-poor and causing the high rate of inflation.. however, by not enforcing/implementing these provisions, we'd have no funds for the BBB projects (unless we borrow) that are sorely needed.... tough decisions will have to be made very soon.. either way, it'll be rough sailing for everyone.

Juice, docjbr, SE20 and 2 others like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...scrap the big-ticket defense material acquisition. The 2nd phase of the AFP modernization program (2018 to 2022) will cost Php 300 B. Allocate it to infrastructure, including the additional bridges across Pasig and Marikina rivers. I don’t understand why we need submarines. Build the economy first. Make it strong. Then we can afford submarines.

wulf, Sunil_K, ramil and 2 others like this.
  3. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Never could understand why we need a submarine. Troops' weapons, counter-insurgency equipment & coastal patrol boats...yes. Submarines...no. The fact we ran a ship aground on a reef, think what would happen if we have a SNAFU in a sub.

Completely agree on using funds on infrastructure projects. But, it has to be wisely spent & properly coordinated. Still don't know why it takes 30 months to build a bridge the size of the Estrella-Pantaleon bridge. US Army engineers can construct a bridge over a river in hours to allow tanks to cross.

4. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the closing of the Rockwell bridge and building a wider one does not make sense as it wouldn’t really help that much that it would warrant a 30month struggle for the motorists. Also it is fully funded by the Chinese government and Chinese contractors are building it. Even the workers are Chinese as what i read. How true is that???

5. raypin

Ot: mm..its been raised by some senators. Lots of Chinese workers working in Chinese owned companies in the country. Bat ganun? Daming walang trabaho. We need jobs.

ericb, pandecoco and Godfather like this.
  6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Not sure about Chinese workers (until I personally see them)

But if I remember correctly, same arrangement was made for Vietnam's train, Chinese loan, contractors and man power

raypin likes this.
  7. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

That's usually part of some aid/loan "package."

raypin likes this.
  8. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Yup, most, if not all, Chinese-funded projects in the world use Chinese labor. There's a whole bunch of these projects in Africa & in Pakistan-Afghanistan region. Some of the laborers were even kidnapped by some Muslim groups & held for ransom.

That's the difference with the projects by other nation-funded aid/loan. I think the SCITEX was a project with Japanese funding/loan. The management were mostly Japanese while the laborers were Pinoys.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  9. iJav

iJav Active Member

#609 iJav, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Godfather likes this.
  10. raypin

Mm...Sen Drilon says up to 400,000 of them are working here but Immigration/DOLE says only 100,000 foreigners were given work permits since 2015. That is a huge discrepancy. How many are illegals? They should be kicked out of the country. They contribute nothing to the country’s economy and represent a national security risk. Why should we allow our country to be used to lure and contribute to the gambling addiction of millions of Chinese? I am assuming that on-line gaming is prohibited in China. So, why should we allow them to circumvent the prohibition?

Are they being tolerated by the authorities? Ako sa PALAGAY nyo?

#610 raypin, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    wulf, pandecoco and Godfather like this.
  11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apparently the reason they wanted to start on the Rockwell bridge this year was to make it coincide with the visit of President Xi Jinping.

12. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

We don't want to inconvenience our Chinese neighbors.

13. raypin

14. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

They really don’t contribute. If you see WeChat Pay, which allows mainland Chinese to pay using the WeChat app, they could theoretically avoid paying any income tax at all. Just have their employer wire money to their Chinese bank account and transfer some funds to their WeChat Wallet.

We can’t even use WeChat Pay locally.

PH is behind. There’s no physical paper trail to prove these allegations but anecdotal evidence are there. Check out MoA, looks like Chinatown on a weekday with all Chinese people walking around and establishments supporting Wechat Pay.

On topic: what’s up with the super traffic yesterday. Skyway and Naiax is clogged up.

15. raypin

Mm..it is because of this:

EF694DDC-78E5-4D70-93A0-2270AE43817A.png

Stop and go ay pareho nung APEC. Expect traffic to back-up allthe way to Baguio and Lucena City.

Nyeta. :ROFLMAO:

#615 raypin, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. raypin

17. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, it's finally happening folks.

DPWH to close Estrella-Pantaleon bridge starting January 12

Accommodating 100,000 vehicles daily, the closure of this key road-link could lead to heavier traffic in and around the surrounding areas. Motorists are advised to take alternate routes like the EDSA-Guadalupe Bridge and the Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge.

But with these alternate routes already congested with traffic during rush hour, the closure of the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge may add to the already worsening Metro Manila traffic.

For now, DPWH has yet to announce if they will construct a temporary bridge in its place.

So it's going to be Carmageddon everyday until 2021. Somehow I doubt they can finish this bridge by 2021.

18. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

Sana before rehabilitating the Pantaleon-Estrella bridge, they should build a bridge from F Zobel (Makati) to San Francisco St (Mandaluyong).

greta87, raypin and Godfather like this.
  19. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

postponed again from 12 Jan to 19 Jan. at least for a week.:D

Godfather likes this.
  20. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I think James Deakin put all the things wrong with the tearing down and replacement of Estrella Bridge in a nutshell :

Dear DPWH,

We really need to talk. I think I speak for the vast majority of affected road users and taxpayers when I say that we desperately need you to postpone and reconsider the scheduled demolition of the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge (Rockwell to Mandaluyong) this Saturday. At least until we have a few things clarified. Please lang. This affects too many people to just pass off as a “contribution to our quest to spur vibrant economic activities through an efficient and reliable road transportation network” We need more than that. We need details. We need assurances. We need real-world solutions. We need alternatives. And above all, we need a convincing explanation as to why this even needs to be done. We are the ones sacrificing, after all. We are also the ones paying. So it is the very least you can do. I really don’t think it’s too much to ask.

As time is of the essence, I won’t waste my words; I’ll get straight to the point. Our biggest concerns as road users and tax payers are:

The need: There is no public demand to rebuild the bridge at all, if anything, the public appealed for the reopening of the bridge following its abrupt closure. Not because we don't understand the sacrifices we need to make for growth, but because this is an unnecessary amputation of a perfectly healthy vital organ. The fact that the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge was inaugurated in 2011 makes it younger than most of the vehicles that traverse it. Why does it need to be demolished? Not only has it not been proven to be structurally unsound, but it was constructed using Austrian public funds as part of a project that built 19 weather-resistant bridges in the Philippines. Wouldn’t demolishing their bridge in order to reconstruct a new Chinese-funded bridge burn our bridges (pun intended) with the Austrian government (and possibly other countries) and reflect negatively upon DPWH, and the Philippine government as a whole?

The 30-month construction time: Loosely translated, that’s 100,000 cars a day that need to find a new way for a 1000 days. In the most densely populated city on earth. Think about that for a moment. How will this be managed? Especially since there’s also a scheduled rehab of the Guadalupe bridge this coming April to address cracks and structural integrity. So far, we have not seen any viable rerouting schemes. And at the risk of sounding terribly skeptical, I’m not convinced any exist. Where will everyone go? Dan Brown already described Manila as the gates of hell; this just slaps a resident’s sticker on it.

The cost: P1.229-billion? The current one was 300 million.

The logic. I’m not a civil engineer or urban planner. But have you conducted any studies of the option of widening it? Like the Sales Bridge in Nichols? Or how about just picking a new spot in the same area and have two bridges instead of one? Because 30 months of closure to replace a perfectly good bridge when we could literally build an additional one with little to no disruption at all seems like the logical choice from where I’m typing.

The Bottlenecks: DPWH claims that the new bridge can accommodate 1.3 million cars— which is great—except that the roads surrounding the bridge will be like the entrances to a Black Friday sale if the new four-lane bridge will still lead to Barangka Drive, which is still a two-lane road.

Your contractors: If it is indeed true that the partners for this reconstruction project are CCCC Highway Consultant Ltd. and its subsidiary China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC), these two Chinese companies have been blacklisted by the World Bank for fraudulent practices in another infrastructure project, the Philippines National Roads Improvement and Management Project. How is this ok now?

Right of way: Infrastructure projects are often plagued with right of way issues, as in the case of another DPWH project, the NLEX-SLEX connector road, whose
    construction has been blocked by challenges in right-of-way acquisitions. Considering that the construction of the road has not yet begun even two years after the contract was awarded to the contractor, how are we assured that the contractors for the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge reconstruction project have acquired all necessary rights of way? We need to see this before construction starts. Because without that, the closure of the bridge on the 12th is premature, unnecessary and will only prolong the 30-month ordeal.

For the record, these are not my questions. This is a summary of all the concerns shared with me by affected road users and taxpayers. And all we are asking is that you pause for a moment and take time to read it thoroughly and then explain it to us, the actual stakeholders, so both sides can decide whether it is worth the pain or if there’s a better alternative. Basically, I’m simply giving you an opportunity to connect to the people that actually matter. Or building a bridge, if you will. Please don't burn it. #ifitaintbrokedontfixit