Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^in fairness, lest someone again blames GMA for these traffic woes we have right now, when Sec. Larry Mendoza headed the DOTC then and MMDA was under Bayani Fernando, traffic was livable, tolerant, mundane, and manageable...i have never experienced during those times apocalyptic traffic in and around Cubao (Mar's country) nor in the Kamuning-Kamias area, or in E. Rodriguez from Aurora Blvd to Rotonda, or even in Commonwealth Avenue...now, Cubao is a hell-hole, Kamuning is Hades country, E. Rod is the devil's lair, and Commonwealth is, well until now, Death Row...

The LRT and MRT then were fast, clean, well-managed and on time, and don't say that now they are old and dilapidated because that was just like 6 years ago when they were working just fine and were old at the same time...

So, what is the one thing that isn't present in today's administration of our transport sector? Political will. And not even the chairman of the ruling Party can take the time to understand this mess, or do something concrete about it, or even tell his boss that for all intents and purposes, they are f**ked right up their asses on this...

Comma...

Sunil_K and tapnclick1940 like this.
  2. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

ha ha, you know it's gotten so bad when people would rather choose Satan himself over your anointed one

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The first thing the new administration should do is appoint an engineer, preferably a civil engineer with a background in construction to the position of MMDA chairman. You are correct sir that under Bayani Fernando, the traffic was manageable and tolerable. Aside from being able to come up with traffic solutions, we need someone in the MMDA who has a working knowledge of how drainage and sewers work. The DOTC and MMDA heads should be engineers, not lawyers, and certainly not mayors from small towns who have no experience handling a vast metro city, much less the entire metropolis.

First, of course to be fair, let's put into consideration that around six years ago, new car sales were around the 100,000 units per year. In that time, the volume of new cars has increased annually. Last year we hit 288,000 plus units. This year promises to break the 300,000 units mark, possible 350,000. Blame it on a better economy, better employment, lower fuel prices, more competition among car brands, etc. What this administration should have done since assuming office in 2010, or sige maski in 2011, was start the infrastructure projects early. New roads, new highways, that should have been the concentration. The PPP's and BOT's should have been granted to whoever, basta much much earlier. Instead it dilly-dallied, played around with red tape and the bureaucrats let the bidders woo them with wine, women and song (and gold lotsa gold). Now it's the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and this government has just begun attempting to make field goals. That one senator was right, this leader never held a job, that's why the concept of getting a task done, the mere idea of deadlines are alien concepts.

Second, there was absolutely no reason for the MRT and LRT to fall into such disarray. It's almost intentional, but definitely criminal, how inept and galactically stupid this DOTC has been. Sometimes I think a small cafeteria manager would have done a better job than this guy, whose one and only credential is that he is the president's bf. (besfren) I would say the same for the MMDA, the LTO and the LTFRB. Isama mo na ang presidential cousin na nasa NAIA. Lahat sila impossibly incapable, and they were allowed to stay for no other reason but simply because of their closeness with the boss.

Hopefully the opening of the new Skyways in 2017 will alleviate, or at least lessen the traffic in EDSA, like Raypin said.

Hopefully, the new administration won't be beholden to the generals of the bus companies.

Hopefully, sana may hope pa. :)

We don't get the leaders we want, we get the leaders we deserve.

lsalapare, raypin, hitme64 and 3 others like this.
  4. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Heads-up!

There is an on-going road re-blocking in Ortigas, along Julia Vargas, right in front of St. Francis mall.

If you're coming from Meralco ave., only 1 lane is passable. If you're coming from Robinson's Galleria, the right turn to Julia Vargas going to Megamall is closed. You have to wait for the stop light in order to proceed.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

C. Aquino had power problems... (brownout)

B. Aquino is having public transport and traffic problems...

I'm hoping the next administration can do something about this...

6. hitme64

^I'm taking a road trip next week, a very long one, from here to Legazpi City so I'm planning on getting up early morning Monday and driving as early as 5AM to beat whatever traffic may come my way at EDSA...and being a Monday, all hell will surely break loose at the 6AM mark

last time i did that was in '09 and traffic was short and uninteresting along EDSA to SLEX until Tiaong...my only biff then was Tagkawayan which, aside from its long stretch of uninspiring route, is bereft of any kind of life but froth with danger amongst the trucks and buses that meet you head-on...

#46 hitme64, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.......traffic nowadays is soooo bad that I've resorted to wearing my headphones while stuck in traffic. Unsafe kamo? Not really. Better than the other drivers who are busy checking their FB/IG/Twitter. How bad is traffic? It is so bad that the only way to change lanes is to buy the car driving next to you. It is so bad you can change a tire and not lose your place in line.

hitme64 likes this.
  8. tapnclick1940

I'm at my wit's end. My usual 45 mins - 1 hour commute is now 2 hours and it's only getting worse. I need to get the hell out of Metro Manila

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......Shhhh! Don't give them ideas ;)

10. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Heads-up. Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's homecoming parade will be on Monday (January 25). While the parade will start at 2PM, expect heavy traffic even before and immediately after.

[​IMG]
    The parade will start at Hotel Sofitel to V. Sotto, then turn left to Atang Dela Rama, and will make a right to Vicente Sotto Street. It will then turn left to Ma. Guerrero Street and then right to Bukaneg Street.

From Bukaneg Street, the parade will turn left to Roxas Boulevard Street. From there, it will turn right to Padre Burgos Avenue, right to Finance Road and right to Taft Avenue.

From Taft Avenue, the parade will turn right to Quirino Avenue and turn left to Roxas Boulevard.

From Roxas Boulevard, it will turn right to Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue. From there, the parade will turn left at Ayala Avenue and make a U-turn at Ayala at the Makati Fire station.

Wurtzbach will then rest in her limousine for a while.

From the Makati Fire Station, Wurtzbach will transfer to the parade float and will start the parade along Ayala Avenue, ending near Rustan’s at Ayala Avenue.

After the parade, Wurtzbach will then move to her limousine going to Araneta Center in Cubao, Quezon City

Sources:
    - http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/757831/pnp-security-measures-all-set-for-pia-wurtzbachs-homecoming
    - http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/219857/look-pia-wurtzbachs-parade-route-on-january-25

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

hitme64 and bugs like this.
  11. hitme64

^Damn, gonna miss her parade...oh well, better that than be stuck in traffic...i can see everyone parking their cars on EDSA for this

12. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Were people avoiding EDSA this week? C5 traffic seemed much worse than it usually is any time of the day.

13. number001

number001 Active Member

Guys, I need your feedback regarding the reblocking situation at Julia Vargas Ave Ortigas. I googled it and there is not a single mention of it anywhere. Is it really that bad? Somebody told me that they heard from the TV that it caused the traffic in Edsa and it caused a rapture on an underground pipe? that would take two days to repair?

I plan to go to Megamall tomorrow around 1pm and I don't know if its wise to brave it?

14. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

greta87 likes this.
  15. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Isn't it funny that the mayor only complains a few months before the elections. Where were his complaints before that? @Godfather, you're right that the construction at that rotunda seems to have been taking forever. It's not only the construction at the rotunda that's taking such a long time, even the road construction leading to the Pasig river has also been taking a loooooooooong time!

Godfather and hitme64 like this.
  16. hitme64

^they're still doing construction at the rotunda? until now? i mean they have been practically doing that every year since i last passed there, and they still are at it?

Godfather likes this.
  17. hitme64

anybody saw that head-on collision between a sedan and a van at Santolan today? that impact threw the van towards the side of the road on its right side...just wow

doesn't matter how big your vehicle is, any unintended acceleration by a movant against your car can eventually throw it off the road....

18. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Huh? What barriers?

19. tapnclick1940

this once again proves that buses are the scourge of EDSA

20. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Did they ever catch the bus driver?