Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

Retraining them might be easier than changing their attitudes to change.

Like say the jeepney modernization program that has been on the books for the past few decades. We highly skilled types that earn better than most know the benefits but the the majority's attitude towards it are largerly anti as they do not see the improvement on safety, convenience, air quality, noise level, reliability and availability.

What is worse is that those in govt might offer a temporary stay on implementation by asking for bribes so owners of non-compliant vehicles that are decades old can operate an extra year.

Sana the zeal of the drug war could be replicated to modernization of PUVs to something a man living in Forbes Park would be willing to take. Those types use mass transit abroad. Why can't our mass transit be almost at par?

Tried and true solutions and best practices are being done abroad. Only those who have a financial stake on it will be anti.

As for the NAIA expansion it has also been on the books for decades. But again politicians are unwilling to sign up on the offer as dozens of billionaires want to implement their airport yesterday. They're all waiting for a bribe to sign the relevant docs.

#501 Adarna, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    raypin, greta87 and Godfather like this.
  2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

You hit the nail right on the head. For me, traffic is a bigger problem than drugs.

Personally (and it probably goes for most of us here), I don't even know anyone who's using or selling illegal drugs, whether it be immediate family, extended family, satellite family, friends, neighbors, customers, clients, suppliers, acquaintances, and even acquaintances of acquaintances.

But the traffic problem? It burdens all of the people mentioned above, and then some.

I'm not saying they shouldn't go after the drug addicts and druglords, I just wish the government had the same insatiable horniness towards the traffic problem. It costs the nation P3.5B a day, and that's no chump change especially for us.

#502 Godfather, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Sunil_K, jologs and rdy0329 like this.
  3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

We should get away from that kind of thinking though. That kind of mindset results to this:

[​IMG]

I've encountered situations wherein no matter how aggressive the overtaking & driving style of an asshole driver may be, I was still able to catch up to their ass while driving at controlled speed, sometimes I'd like to honk at them just like how they honk .00001s after the light turns green.

I've also been on the other end of it, so yes, I also feel shitty that I exemplified douchebaggery for nothing. Especially when those slow trikes and pedicabs you were trying to get away from catches up.

Annoyances aside, and as much as I dislike the current managers of the country, I sincerely hope that they'd be able to at least sincerely acknowledge and address the issues.

Since I'm on rant mode, additional F.U. to people who builds their home up to the road and gets angry once widening or sidewalk is being built. F.U. din sa mga bumibili ng kotse pero walang garahe. F.U. to cars who parks (even short time) on a two way - 2-lane street. & F.U. to businesses that thinks a parking space is too much to ask for.

----

Developments I'm looking forward to since I'm from the south:

C5 to Cavitex link is quickly shaping up, an Alternate route to Coastal Road/Cavitex aside from NAIAX
    CALAX - Phase 1 up to Nuvali is targeted by early 2019. Bottleneck is still there though after Nuvali.
    Skyway Alabang Entry - Planned, and much needed. Hopefully they can revise the curve towards Filinvest to add entry from the innermost lane of Alabang Flyover. That bottleneck is a living example of shortsighted thinking coupled with uneducated drivers who loves to drive on the 4th lane and then cut off trucks on the 3rd lane, causing a domino effect on traffic.
    Skyway to FTI then C5 (at grade) or Direct C5 Link - Something that's seems straightforward from the beginning is still being sat on.

Finally, integrated electronic toll - End of this year. Much needed since it's no longer North vs. South, with MPIC's CALAX and San Mig's SCTEX.

Selling snake oil is the game of this admin. That's why I'd prefer the less talk, do right of the previous one. I miss the days where news coverage is about the president's (non-existent) love life or where he said something tone deaf and everyone is out with a pitchfork. Talk about putting things into perspective.

#503 rdy0329, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    raypin, ransom, jologs and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Is this true?

The Metro Manila Council composed of NCR mayors approves the measure prohibiting private cars with one passenger to pass through EDSA during rush hours. Date of implementation and guidelines are yet to be released.

5. Godfather

MMDA bans cars with only ONE driver... but what if no driver? Exempted na!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always knew this costume would come in handy.

hitme64, greta87, funcityboy and 5 others like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....mannequin sales will go through the roof. Alternative: sex dolls. :p

hitme64, catalysmic, greta87 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Hilarious. No driver = No traffic violations.

Godfather likes this.
  8. Godfather

Really wish I was in the mannequin business right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunil_K, raypin and pandecoco like this.
  9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Posted this on Tsikot...

The rise of the Jockeys!

Meanwhile, in Jakarta...

End of the road: Jakarta's 'passengers for hire' targeted by carpooling crackdown | The Guardian (2016 news)

*Jakarta started this in 2003, stopped in 2016! We are WAY behind!

raypin likes this.
  10. Godfather

Would love to see how they implement this.

Also, those same mayors will see their streets clogged with immovable traffic even moreso than usual (X100), now that the 70% of the traffic volume on EDSA will go through their local streets.

The MMDA didn't fix the problem of vehicular volume, they just funnelled it to the cities.

Solution: If the government is really serious about reducing car volume and discouraging single-person vehicle use, then they should make it Metro Manila-wide. Then loosen the LTFRB restrictions on carpooling and car-sharing.

ericb likes this.
  11. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Isn't this unconstitutional? I haven't read the Constitution in a long, long time (if at all) so I'm not sure myself.

But, I know there are countries where this move is tantamount to the curtailment of freedom to move around as one pleases.

ericb and Godfather like this.
  12. ice

MMDA: Trial of driver-only ban on EDSA to start next Wednesday | TopGear PH

13. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I’m no law expert pero the policy is not really unconstitutional cause in essence you still have capacity to travel, there are just some guidelines that you must follow. Same concept as that of having a number coding. The policy maybe stupid but ain’t unconstitutional.

14. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Alright, fair enough. But it will limit a person's mobility and that is unacceptable in some societies. It only becomes a viable option when commuters have an efficient, inexpensive alternative means of transport.

ericb likes this.
  15. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I actually have never tried driving alone on EDSA...never

I need somebody with me. Clingy? Yes.

First of all, I don’t have anyone to rant to during traffic...

Second, I’m a sucker for two-or-more companionship and playing “Who’s this Idiot?” on hours’ end...

And third, a second and third wheel are all I need to push my car when it stalls in traffic...

Finally, I never fail to tell traffic enforcers when flagged down, “Driver lang po ako ni Sir/Maam. Kausapin niyo po. Siya me gusto lumusot ako dito bawal pala.”

16. ericb

ericb Member

And now they're planning on fully implementing the HOV scheme, even if they have not yetimplemented the trial period and getting data whether it really is effective or not. !@#$#

VicB likes this.
  17. ice

raypin likes this.
  18. raypin

Mm..how’ d hell are they gonna’ enforce this? Enforcers splitting the lanes? Pag madami nahuli, paano traffic nyan? They’ll take one lane for flagged down vehicles. Genius.

greta87 likes this.
  19. wingatu

wingatu Member

What can you say about this?

Godfather likes this.
  20. raypin

Mm...boba. Lakas ng loob.

Kung sa Amerika yan, kanina pa na taze yan.

greta87 and Godfather like this.