Metro Manila Traffic

Discussion in 'General OT' started by johannes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I have decided to create a new thread, considering that the old one ("How to improve traffic in metro manila") is already 101 pages long.

Please continue traffic-related discussions here such as:
    - updates
    - rerouting schemes
    - hazards, repairs
    - special announcements
    - suggestions or reports you want to put out there in the hope that someone can actually hear them and act upon them

In line with PhilMUG policy, please refrain from any political talk. And as always, let's keep discussions here clean and civil, regardless of how barbaric the traffic situation can be.

Stay safe, sane, and calm on the roads. Carry on. :)

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^DZMM is reporting that tomorrow may be the "first worst Monday traffic for 2016" because ALL students are going back to class, ALL cars are going back on the roads (regardless of that devil-doesn't-care number coding), and ALL office employees and personnel are taking the LRT and MRT by storm or stoppage...

It's good to be back to normal again...

(Hey, no politics there, just a little twist to what DZMM just said, but you all get the picture...)

Godfather and Chito Limson like this.
  3. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

Wasn't so bad this morning, actually. I mean, not worse than the usual Monday morning hell ;)

hitme64 likes this.
  4. hitme64

^well, it took me 25 minutes to reach work from Cubao via P. Tuazon-EDSA...on any given day, it takes 20 minutes...apparently i agree with @bad_boy it wasn't so bad this Monday...maybe Tuesday?

bad_boy likes this.
  5. bad_boy

Staff Member

I hope not! Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the worst the week has to offer...

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  6. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Easing Metro Manila traffic congestion
    and why it is impossible.

Too much time has been wasted by the governments in the past 5 to 10 years doing absolutely nothing. We are living in the long awaited Armageddon, and we have long gone past the fiery depths of hell. We are now descending into the fiery circles.

In other news, car sales are projected to exceed even last year's record-breaking numbers. Yipee.

jbfirefly, greta87, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  7. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Trying to be optimistic. Metro traffic will eventually be solved cuz our government officials will finally get their act together & solve this OR they get so fed up with the pollution & they move the government offices outside of the Metro. In the latter case, with the Metro left to fend for itself & no govt officials to make pakialam, the citizens finally get it done! That's my fantasy anyway. :p

8. hitme64

had a meeting last night with our Board and three members didn't make our 730PM meet because they got stuck in EDSA traffic...by the time we had finished eating and meeting did they arrive one by one almost 3 hours since we started...apparently Kalayaan Avenue also had its share of traffic because of an accident at the corner of Kalayaan and V.Luna...

and, get this, two of them actually came from Cubao while the other one came from Greenhills...so imagine the horror of their commute...darn 3 hours?!@#$

greta87 likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....forecast data suggests that by the year 2020, the Philippine market will hit the 500,000 new cars a year mark. So, car manufacturers and dealers are singing " Happy days are here again...."

10. Godfather

Private cars can’t use Edsa bus lanes starting Jan. 18

But buses cutting into the last couple of lanes for private vehicles is OK. This is horse manure. Just like the manure heads who decided it.

I don't go over the orange lane anyway, because I try to do my part for traffic discipline. But if I had a penny for every time a bus suddenly swerved out of the orange lane into my lane and almost flattened my car, I'd be Mark Zuckerburg.

While reporting on those orange MMDA barriers, this reporter mentioned that BUSES WILL NOT BE APPREHENDED WHEN THEY SWERVE TO THE PRIVATE LANES.

hitme64, VicB, lsalapare and 2 others like this.
  11. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Can't agree with you more @Godfather! This is beyond common sense!!

The only thing that this decision would make sense is that our transport officials do not have the guts to tell the bus owners that they can't go into the private-car lanes. Never mind why they don't want to. Take your pick of many reasons.

Of course, we the private car owners will raise a stink. Then our beloved transport officials will say to the bus operators that they have to enforce no-bus-into-private-car-lane rule since the public has made it an issue. Not their fault!

Godfather likes this.
  12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......so private cars will have to merge with the bus lane (to make a right turn or exit Edsa) the last how many meters? I hope it is not less than 100 meters. Otherwise, expect more collision.

Godfather likes this.
  13. Godfather

First, these government officials are so insensitive and disconnected from us the driving masses that they keep implementing rules that make no sense. On one hand, they admit that the volume of private cars increase annually (288,000 plus new units sold just in 2015), and yet they are so quick to subtract lanes for private cars use like during the APEC foolishness. It's like admitting that the volume of water has doubled, so our solution is to make the pipes even smaller. WTF?!? Now as to the usual cause of EDSA traffic? This leads me to my second point :

Second, one picture says it all :
    [​IMG]

Hindi ba lahat ng lane sa EDSA, "bus lane?" I hate this double standard just because the MMDA and LTFRB are soooo obviously biased in favor of the bus companies, for financial or political or military reasons or whatever. Buses are ALLOWED AT ALL TIMES IN ALL LANES without consequence. This LTFRB has even admitted that they have purposely allowed COLORUM buses to ply EDSA for the benefit daw of the commuting public, because the MRT is constantly broken. There is something seriously sick when the one government agency tasked with regulating the number of buses and prohibiting the proliferation of illegal, unlicensed buses is itself ALLOWING and ENCOURAGING the buses it is tasked and mandated by law to apprehend! Geez Luiz, whatdapack naman?

If the brainless heads of the DOTC, MMDA and LTFRB didn't travel by helicopter all the time (paid for by your taxes by the way), or if they didn't have a wang-wang convoy all the time, and if they actually went to and came home from work in the same rush hours that you and I go through everyday, then maybe they can relate a tiny bit with the dystopian hell hole that the Metro becomes everyday.

Absolutely! This is unmitigated chaos! And how will the traffic enforcers apprehend the private cars in the orange lanes, when they themselves provided that massive loophole: "E boss, kakanan naman talaga ako e."

raypin, wulf and hitme64 like this.
  14. hitme64

^well, i did just that, while taking a right turn to Annapolis this morning...there were 3 buses behind me but i swerved to the right and hoped that my Alto would withstand the whiplash of my turn...not one of the buses slowed down for those cars turning right to this road because, hey, they OWN the bus lanes...and as kudos to MMDA, they had NOT ONE enforcer in that turn because, wait, they were taking their snacks at the Petron station..."don't bother us, we're eating...oh, and when you turn right, good luck...just don't hit those buses because we love them so much..."

on a related note, i hear Abaya will be awarded the Presidential Legion of Honor for his outstanding performance and meticulous work ethics in his Department...wow, just WOW

raypin, greta87 and Godfather like this.
  15. oloc

oloc Member

i was about to add to the rants here but I realize i can't say my piece without being political so i'll just tease you guys for the fact that I got a job now that requires me to only report to the office 2x a week. the rest, work from home. :) lol! :)

hitme64 likes this.
  16. bad_boy

Staff Member

In the previous implementation of the Yellow Lane, weren't buses prohibited from exiting their designated lane?

17. hitme64

^yes, but they still do exit whenever and wherever they want to...which, of course, defeats the purpose of yellow lanes designated for them...

there is also this tendency of MMDA to just put up traffic barriers in areas where previously there were no issues on traffic congestion or free-flow of vehicles, but now they pop out like zits on an oily face...terrible metaphor, but yes, it's disgusting especially when you're caught in one of them and you have to make a turn you don't need to...

bad_boy likes this.
  18. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@Godfather's picture above says it all. A single bus blocking the single private car lane. Although I also don't want to be political, just remember all of this when you vote in May. We deserve better!

19. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I took a day trip to Bacolod yesterday for business. The flight back home was delayed for about 40 minutes. Tired and hungry after touchdown, I was eager to get home. The ride home took me two hours when it normally takes less than one. Brilliant!

And who do I see causing so much traffic along EDSA? Undisciplined buses and passengers. What's next? We're gonna assign Marines to man EDSA?

Godfather likes this.
  20. bad_boy

Staff Member

^Exactly what I see, Jo. Buses and passengers. We need to clean all this up, including our own habits.