MERGED: Thinking of buying a MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by palconit, Dec 11, 2009.

1. palconit

palconit Member

im thinking of replacing my macbook black mid-2007 with macbook air.

good move ba to or no need?

2. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

Re: buying macbook air

Well, what do you need? Portability? Power? Do you attach a lot of peripherals?

3. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

examine your needs. it is a good step before doing anything.

4. McGrill

McGrill Member

I got the white macbook around 2007 din. When I changed to Macbook Air, I was glad I did! It is SO light! And I love the 3 & 4-finger swipe.

5. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

depends though... macbook pro is still better for me (in all aspects except the portability)... just my 2cents...

6. makinao

makinao Active Member

I replaced my iBook with a MacBook when the latter broke down.

My wife got an MacbookAir because she is small and can't carry heavy things.

What's your reason?

7. triguy

triguy Member

I agree. It's a question of compromise: power & features vs. light weight portability. I was a MBP user for a long time and switched to an Air because my back was killing me. 95% of the time the MBP is more than fast enough for me - email, surfing, presentations, spreadsheets. For the 5% that requires heavy-lifting (video editing, motion graphics) I use an iMac

8. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

Switched from white macbook to MBA and I am super lovin' it. I prefer portability that's why. Well, I thought of getting the MBP 13" when it came out, while it may be more "loaded" than my MBA, in the end, I still remained loyal to the latter. :)

9. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Just like what the others have said, the crux of the matter is your needs - power and superdrive vs. portability.

Before I upgraded from my macbook black, I used to go to an apple reseller and wonder at how thin and light the macbook air is. I kept telling myself that I would aim for the MBA if and when I decide to upgrade.

But when the time came for me to upgrade, I decided on the MBP 13". I decided on the basis of power and the superdrive, which I use a lot. No sense in buying the MBA for portability then carry around an external superdrive. Besides the unibody is thinner and feels a lot lighter than the macbook black and the pre-unibody macbook white, although, of course, the MBA still tops in terms of portability.

10. jeroen

jeroen Active Member

i find the air to light, i prefer my macbook pro (13)

11. sothos

sothos New Member

Thinking of buying a Macbook Air

I am having a bit of trouble deciding what to buy.

I am a university student, so I switch frequently between classes. Portability is one of my priorities, so I am leaning toward the Air with the ff. specs:

2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    Nvidia 9400M Graphics Processor
    128GB Solid State Drive
    2GB RAM

I have the following concerns:

1. I will be creating the occasional video every now and then (sometimes it's needed for school), so will the system be able to handle that? It's just light editing and I don't mind if it's slow, but can just finish it. I also want to do some gaming, but I'm not too much into that.

2. Is 2GB RAM enough for current processing needs and for the next two years? I don't like doing too much multitasking (makes you less productive.)

3. I do not mind not having an optical drive as I have an external one. Will an LG optical drive work with the Air or do I need to purchase the SuperDrive?

4. Is the screen really better than the one on the MBP 13"?

5. I do not mind the lack of ports.

6. I really prioritize portability, and price is not much of an issue.

7. I might use it on a bed or couch, does it heat up that much?

8. Do rev C MBAs suffer from the hinge problem, and the screen lines problem?

These considerations in place, should I buy a macbook air? I'm leaning on it and would probably choose it, but I'm just making sure there is no compelling dealbreaker to make me go with the second lightest option (MBP 13")