MERGED: The Boracay thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by penmanila, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

just got back from our 5 night stay:
    • power - intermittent. Boracay's new "patay-sindi"
    • transportation - vans from resorts (Shangri-La, Fairways & Bluewater, etc.) not located along the "stations" are prohibited from dropping off /picking up guests going to D' Mall (until roads are completed we were told). We didn't mind taking the tricycle but dust / mud due to unfinished roads made it unpleasant, not to mention shelling out PhP200.00 for each round trip. e-trikes already started replacing petrol tricycles
    • other infra - still a long way to complete. Roads are still a mess. Felt like a war zone with 'chopped off / gutted' buildings (structures that occupied right of way). some areas reeked of sewer stench. Special mention is Bulabog area, which prompted the clean up. Rows & rows of restaurants / establishments demolished. sanitary, drainage & power lines lying on the ground, awaiting installation
    • logistics - we noticed establishments are having difficulty having stocks replenished. in our resort, 80% of food on menu was not available. Gerry's, Dencio's, Starbucks along Station 1 were closed. Mang Inasal in CitiMall was closed, staff were waiting for items to arrive. Chopsuey we ordered at Chowking was 90% cabbage! pansit was inedible. Yakult was nowhere to be found (our after meals drink whenever we're out of town)
    • Stations 1 & 2 - WOW! just as on the news (y). we were there on a weekend. Just about a hundred people there. it was overcast when I took these photos:
    EB355A58-26DD-42F0-B20C-BE1BB9285467.jpeg

now (in)famous Hennan:
    CBEC37B4-BF88-400F-982E-AD4D1626E9C4.jpeg

Newcoast beach:

7E36EEAF-6C10-4086-96FD-D44E027943D6.jpeg

wulf and macjobber like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....not a good start, post-rehab/work in progress. Silver lining: low season. Hopefully, the rehab work and other birthing pains are addressed by the beginning of January 2019, the start of peak season.

Were there foreign tourists (of the hundred or so tourists)? Or just locals?

Lots of catching up to do.

3. Theus

yup, pilit talaga ang 're-opening'. there were foreigners, mostly asians (Koreans, Chinese). but at Fairways & Bluewater, there were more westerners than asians. I spoke with at least 10 workers (drivers, bellboys, porters, etc). can't help but feel sorry for them as they had to choose between construction work & fishing to make both ends meet for 6 months.
    when we left the island, we were met with droves of tourists at the port, made me smile (the locals on my mind).

greta87 and raypin like this.
  4. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

^ I guess that will be the best news for the locals, their best source of living so far, i do hope the government will fast track the rest of the work and finish off before summer comes (fingers crossed).

5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Last "sunrise" of 2018, taken this daybreak.

(Taken with my DJI Osmo Pocket, in motion timelapse mode)

The rebooted Boracay will surely get mixed reviews. Party-goers probably won't like it. No more beach bars, no band stages, no firework launching pads, etc.

Personally, I am loving it! But that's because I generally smirk at outright or veiled consumerism. For one, I can now walk between the trees again, because resort owners can no longer cordon off our trees to extend their profit-making beyond legal boundaries. I spoke to one resort owner who is a vocal advocate of the admin; yet, their beach bar was not spared. Not even size (Henann has a handful of properties) nor connections (Pacquiao and Chavit's resort) mattered. Some beach properties even look like they were wrecking balled—not by Miley Cyrus but by politically willful cojones. :) Kudos to the enforcing agencies!

I had to use a flashlight again, because some resorts (Pearl of the Pacific, Henann, etc.) were shut down, leaving long stretches unlit—just like the 80s to mid-90s.Yay! Roads, drainage, sewage, and other infra are still in the works. Much to look forward to.

Oh yeah, no more lounge chairs beyond resort properties. So not only does the beach look wider/deeper (no more encroaching tables, chairs, and unsightly structures), less beach lounge chairs/beds also mean more people are reverting to good ol' beach mats/towels/sarongs—more sand-sprawled hotties! :)

Yesterday, a white woman asked me to strap on her bikini bra. So yes, I felt the improvements! :D

Happy New Year!

Nami Panorama.JPG

jhonas015, porkypork, Roman and 6 others like this.
  6. raypin

Mm...the big test will be in 2019. Will Boracay regain its crown as the premier tourism spot in PH, with all the restrictions in place?

Ghost town or boomtown?

7. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^@rbenzon: Congrats on "feeling" the improvements, Roland!

8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thank you for your generous review! Better than TripAdvisor.

May we ask about the correct procedure for doing this, in case we face a similar request in the future? Which of her improvements should one strap on first: her left improvement or her right improvement?

raypin likes this.
  9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Theus, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Godfather likes this.
  11. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

^ On the bright side, sand castles will now have stronger structural integrity.

raypin and wulf like this.
  12. hitme64

Finally, Boracay police found out the litterers of shit on the video. Unfortunately, those shits just left the place after seeing the viral video. This according to their hotel who reported them (conveniently after they had left).

Apparently, the older woman went back to retrieve the diaper but couldn't remember where she buried it. The hotel said they belonged to a party of almost twenty foreign nationals (read: Chinese/Taiwanese, whatever) who skedaddled the resort asap upon hearing the throes of anger and fire from Pinoys everywhere.

13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

A bit off topic here, but according to a friend of mine they also make a mess in Bohol hotels, like pee in the room balcony and sand. Some hotel staff complain that they clog up the toilets with trash on purpose, just so they can be upgraded or moved to a better room.

14. Theus

Experienced this first hand on a recent family trip to Hennan, Bohol. They wash their feet (and footwear!) on pools, spit anywhere they feel like & are just too damn loud. Tell them off and they pretend not to understand “sowee, no engwish”. Rant & OT done, sorry ;)

15. hitme64

Let’s be honest about this. Koreans may be obnoxious and loud at times but they’re actually more well-mannered and well-versed with local customs, like they studied the place before coming here. Chinese, especially the mainlanders, are an obnoxious, loud, dirty, filthy, ill-mannered and ignorant bunch of fools and no matter if someone says it’s racist, well, who cares because it’s true. The worst thing to have as a seatmate on a plane or boat is a Chinese who doesn’t see you as a person but as a pedestal and scratching block. So yeah, pretty obnoxious them Chinese.

They bring us money and wealth when they come here, that’s true, given that tourism in Boracay and elsewhere is at an all time high thanks to almost 68% arrivals from tourists all over the mainland. But they bring in also their unpleasantness that makes it hard to weigh the good from the bad. They’re just, well, obnoxious people all over.

Godfather, bacchus_3, eag and 4 others like this.
  16. raypin

Mmm...from what I have observed, the large Korean community in the Philippines has adjusted to our culture quite well. Their shops and restaurants are open to us. They hire Filipino workers. They create employment. Presumably, they pay taxes. Their businesses are thriving. Their children go to school here (to learn English). I think they are the model foreigners. No major problems.

More Koreans please.

My tenant is pleasant to deal with. Her children are enrolled at Ateneo and one of them will be attending Stanford next year. Lucky her.

17. hitme64

Frankly I hate Koreans, or specifically, that Korean boyfriend of my daughter when she was in college. The guy just eats at our house, doesn’t wash the dishes, doesn’t bring out the trash, talks when I watch movies, talks when I surf the net, and takes up my napping place on the couch. Basically he’s an ass. I celebrated with fine dining when she dumped him.

Anyway, I love Koreans, have friends with the Korean National Police, and the Korean owner of that barbecue place near our condo.

But Chinese outnumber Koreans, Japanese, Americans, and Europeans in tourist arrivals by nearly 10 to 1, and with lax immigration policies, that number masks all the other undocumented arrivals. And like I said earlier, there’s so much to hate about them. Even beyond that diaper and shit routine they do, not only in our beaches but even those in Bali, Thailand and Vietnam.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  18. raypin

Mm...looks like the rehab of Bora (total closure) from April to October of 2018........did not affect tourism in Bora, post-closure.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/228460-boracay-tourists-q1-2019

For the first quarter of 2019, 619,000 tourists visited Bora vs. 553,000 during first quarter 2018.

It is thriving.

19. hitme64

Well frankly, anybody who said otherwise that wished failure on the many who made it what it is now for the good of the community and the tourist industry are eating their pants and blowing yellow shat. The operative word being yellow.

bacchus_3, rbenzon and macjobber like this.
  20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member