MERGED: Some iPads have wifi problems?

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by kili-kili power, Apr 6, 2010.

1. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Re: Some iPads have wifi problems?

i don't have an ipad yet but the wifi standards we are using are standard worldwide, from what i understand. the g here is also the g there.

the wifi manufacturers might be throttling the power of their access points, and for wifi on phone, it might be to conserve power.

2. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

no wifi problems with my ipad too. =)

3. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

fake china chips?
    but the ipad is made in china.

4. jkaustria

jkaustria Guest

uhm, i am not from Austria. It's just my last name. :)

by the way, wifi is working fine now on my ipad. just need to buy those accessories. kinda nervous having it scratched specially the cover.

5. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

IMO ipad wifi problems only occur on dual-band N routers. I'd guess most free wifi we see i.e. malls only use the cheaper G routers that's why the problem is rare.

6. Islander

Islander Guest

Just got an ipad and tried browsing a pdf shared via intranet webserver on safari. after reading the pdf, the ipad cant connect to the server... I go to settings and turn the wifi on/off and get full signal again. it could probably be due to the fact that i'm using a wireless N router? still, it should be supported...

7. jayvel

jayvel Member

nangyari na rin sa akin yan, after a long period of browsing, wifi signal with no internet on safari, pero yung iphone ko meron and my e71 and laptop, what i did, on off the router linksys wrt54g. okay na siya ulit, dami na threads ng problem na ito sa net, di pa nila mapinpoint bakit ganuna

8. angelwings_hk

angelwings_hk Member

no problems here and i use a d-link xtreme n gigabit router.

9. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok so far. Posting from outback libis. Ok din rob east, kk glorietta & starbucks. Ok din sa office ni wife & ours Most important ok sa bahay namin

#49 Theus, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  10. mesja

mesja New Member

ano N router nagamit nyo na compatible sa ipad with no disconnects or breaks? Kasi I plan to upload about 50 gigs of email to Goodreader and 12 hours kung G router gamit.

11. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

Interesting explanation on possible iPad WiFi problem

Read this off a post at macrumors.com. Seems like a good explanation since I had a similar problem also initially with my Huawei e5830 MiFi using WPA2 personal TKIP + AES network key greater than 26 characters. When I shortened the key, problem this appeared.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=914989

iPad Wireless Issue - Interesting Details
    So, first time posting here and from looking around a bit it looks like a great place to post some detailed information I have gathered about wireless problems with my iPAD.

Last Tuesday I brought my iPad to work. I connected it to our corporate network and had no issues connecting. What was interesting was that almost as quickly as I had connected, layer 3 communication ceased. I thought this was amazingly bizarre, so I started digging deeper. Our President also has an iPad and at the same time he made mention to the help desk that he too was having issues.

So here’s out setup; we’ve got a Cisco Wireless network comprised of about one hundred 1231 APs. Each AP supports 802.11a/b/g. We have six current wireless networks running on six different VLANs with hard coded bands. The corporate network only allows rates of 802.11G, which limits its range and requires a large amount of APs. Our AP infrastructure runs at 50% power at each AP to prevent saturation and allow for 15% overlap per Cisco Best practices.

I created five additional test wireless networks (and corresponding VLANs). I began connecting and testing with each. I tried WEP, WPA, WPA2 and WPA2 using TKIP and AES. The problem still persisted. It was almost as if the iPad was successfully associating with the AP’s but failing to pass traffic (which falls in line with my earlier statement of layer 3 traffic failing to be passed). To test that layer 2 traffic was successfully traversing the connection pipe, I went to the core router and flushed the CAM and FIB tables. I was unable to ping the IP address the iPAD said it had but the mac address was immediately learned back into the tables on the core. So the iPAD was successfully associated with the AP infrastructure but was unable to pass layer 3 traffic for some reason.

Then I remembered where I’ve seen this problem before, on cheap ass MSI usb wireless adapters. I immediately changed the length of the WPA/WPA2 key and BAM, no problems. To give you a little back story, we had a nightmare of a time getting MSI usb wireless adapters to work on a few roaming devices about 4 years ago when some genius bought them without consulting the IT department. The problem was that the hardware on the MSI usb wireless sticks couldn’t successfully finish a GTK handshake when the WPA-TKIP passphrase was longer than 26 characters (which ours is).

I tested the iPad on WPA/WPA2 with a passphrase of 8/10/12/16/18/20/22/24 and layer 3 traffic was passed flawlessly. I then re-joined the network who has a passphrase of 28 characters and layer 3 traffic worked for three seconds and then stopped working again. I could also ping the iPad when it was on a network of less than 26 characters indefinitely. If the iPad was on a network of 26 characters or longer, the ping would return for about 6-10 seconds and then stop. The fix that worked for me also worked for the presidents iPad.

I enabled detailed logging on the AP infrastructure and connected to the wireless network with a passphrase longer than 26 characters. The PTK four way handshake finished successfully however the GTK handshake failed on the second packet. Since the PTK handshake, from my reading, is responsible for association to an AP and the GTK two way handshake, is required for something similar, my guess is the failure to correctly process the second packet in the GTK two way handshake is causing this issue. What’s interesting is that the AP says that the second packet it receives from the iPad is “invalid key” and thus the GTK handshake failes. So it appears the iPad is sending the wrong key back (Same thing we saw on the MSI usb wireless sticks). Here’s the debug log from the AP:

2010-05-07 15:00:17,Local7.Debug,155.119.1.148,419: *Apr 4 17:28:44.395 CDT: dot11_dot1x_verify_gtk_handshake: verifying GTK msg 2 from 7c6d.62c3.2a10
    2010-05-07 15:00:17,Local7.Debug,155.119.1.148,"420: *Apr 4 17:28:44.395 CDT: dot11_dot1x_verify_eapol_header: Warning: Invalid key info (exp=0x311, act=0x301"

So if someone knows more about wireless than me and says the “Warning: invalid key info” is not a big deal then cool beans, but from the research I’ve done, the iPad wireless has got a REAL issue that needs resolving and I sure hope software can do it.

12. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: Interesting explanation on possible iPad WiFi problem

I got lost reading the technical jargon. Can someone please explain the above article in layman's terms please? :)

13. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

Basically, I guess what it all means is that if you have a network pass key that is 26 characters or more, it creates authentication problems with the iPad, thus the inability to connect to certain APs with that length of a password. Best recommendation would be to shorten the password siguro.

14. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup. I guess that's what it really means. Although I hardly know of anyone who uses more than 26 characters in their passwords anyway. Nice info though.

15. IronMan

IronMan Member

Interesting. What's special with the number 26?! Is there a six-byte header subtracted from the usual 32 (2^5)??!

I've seen this problem before where the solution is shortening the length of the password. I guess it's a wireless protocol thingamajig. :)

16. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

When you enable security protocol on wifi, like WEP, you can choose 128 bit or 64 bit encryption. The higher the encryption the more secure. On 64 bit, you're required to enter a password of exactly 10 digits. On 64 bit, exactly 26 digits. I use a 26 digit password on my Linksys router and have no problems with both my iPads.

The author of the post above seems to have a higher security encryption on their company network with a 28 character password.