MERGED: Some iPads have wifi problems?

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by kili-kili power, Apr 6, 2010.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: Some iPads have wifi problems?

mmm.... I didn't think of that. Guess it's going to be spotty wifi coverage for the iPad, for now.

2. miron

miron New Member

I have the iPad and can confirm it's got a serious wifi problem. The signal fluctuates and is mostly one bar, even when my iPhone and MacBook pro registers full signal. And even when im sitting right next to the wifi router. Incredibly frustrating and I dread having to use public wifi. Anxiously awaiting for the fixes but no one seems to know what the problem is, much less what to do.
    Other than that, the iPad is a dream. Absolutely fun to use and I havent touched my mac pro since I got it. Typing this on my iPad as I speak!

3. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

tsk, now the (mild) excitement becomes anxiety! :mad: haay apple, why'd you let this happen? pwede namang gayahin na lang wifi ng iphone...

4. IronMan

IronMan Member

Whoa. Maybe i'm lucky?! I have been thru a lot of WiFi locations and never had problems. When i'm in Ayala, it easily sees a lot of WiFi signals and lets me choose. Once in a while i get to try free ones and i can browse while the car is moving [don't worry i'm not driving, hehehe].

Also, i don't experience it getting hot even after watching 3 streaming videos [almost 4 hours] using AirVideo.

I sooo love my iPad!!!!!!!!

5. reddddd

reddddd Member

I'm lucky too. Im a roamer and I don't see any wifi problem from the 8 starbucks, 3 malls, 2 neighborhood unsecured network and 5 misc spots. I hope a firmware upgrade can fix some issues.

6. antz

antz Active Member

Lucky also and I don't have the wifi problem, been using wifi from different locations without any issues. If no wifi and I need to go online, tethering my HTC Hero is very convenient too.

7. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

No problems on my end other. I'm able to connect seamlessly to my Linksys wrt160n router here in my apartment in Seoul with no problems, as well as with our hospital network here and the various coffeeshop wifi's across the city.

After reading most of the posts in macrumors, I get the impression that a lot of those experiencing problems are those with wifi OEM routers from their respective dsl and cable internet providers in the USA including that of Verizon FIOS that have it integrated with the modems.

8. aczafra

aczafra Member

haven't encountered any problem with my iPad's WiFi as well.

9. coffeeboy

coffeeboy Active Member

No wifi problems with my iPad as well

10. jazon_pogi

jazon_pogi Active Member

No problems encountered here so far with wifi conn whether im in the office, starbucks or home.

11. carloople

carloople Member

No problem whatsoever :)

12. Marco

Marco Member

Same here, dont have an issue with the wifi what so ever. Sucks for the few people who encountered the problems.

13. kili-kili power

i read in the apple support thread that someone was able to follow all the tips in terms of router settings... he says he got the wifi issue resolved, but nice to know is that he also mentioned if those efforts did not work Apple was ready to ship him a new one!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2405363&tstart=0

aba! so even if they dont admit it as a flaw in some units, they may still replace it? nice....

14. lenz

lenz Member

Today I tested the ipad in a mall. My n82 can see some signals 100%
    while the ipad would only have one or two bars and there are some
    wi-fi networks that the ipad can't kist detect that my n82 can. Kayo... when you go to a mall or anywhere with wifi, can you try and see ano mag detect ng ipad nyo compared to your cellphone wifi.. kasi talaga weaker ang signal sa ipad..

diba lahat ng production paraho.. is it possible some units have wi-fi
    problems.. some units don't? pero they came from the same production
    line diba?

I don't know if apple would replace my product when it is available
    locally in june. But first can you guys confirm na mas malakas signals
    ng mga cellphone wifi nyo compared to ipad? Kanina, the cell can
    detect 5 hotspots near robinsons while the ipad can only see 2. It just can't see the other 3 kahit side by side linagay yung dalawa and all kinds of positions. This is bad!

15. antski

antski Well-Known Member

My iPhone 3G behaves the same way as well. So I don't think it's an isolated case with the iPad. Maybe the antenna they use is just not strong enough to save battery life.

16. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

I also experienced instances where my nokia can detect networks and connect well, while my macbook is having a difficult time.

17. lenz

lenz Member

Kanina kahit saan ako punta.. my n82 can detect networks like 50% while
    totally hindi makita ng ipad ko.. Makita lang ng ipad and connect
    kung malakas signal. Hope other ipad owners can try kasi I wonder if sira
    ipad ko. Baka mai batch na fake china chips gamit.

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

ot: just a little tip.......write your post and don't break. Let it be done automatically.
    Truncating your post into several paragraphs when one or two will suffice is not encouraged. Thanks.

19. jkaustria

jkaustria Guest

i have a problem with my 64gb ipad. all my gadgets can connect with our wifi, my macbook, imac, my xperia10, but my ipad, it always says "safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding".

20. lenz

lenz Member

Yesterday I brought my ipad to greenhills theater mall and compared it to the one being demoed there (beside Infomaxx selling at 5k lower). We can detect the same networks in our ipads while an ipod touch seems to detect more. So my ipad doesn't have a particular hardware fault compared to others.

Also it seems Philippines ipad users normally don't have issues with ipads. Those who have issued live abroad like the poster above from Austria. Maybe the wifi standards in other countries are different?

What do you think?