MERGED: Power Mac Center Feedback..

Discussion in 'Power Mac Center' started by filiusdei, Apr 9, 2008.

1. JCH888

JCH888 New Member

POWER MAC NOT A SERVICE CENTER(Repair Center) BUT A DIAGNOSTIC CENTER

Few months back, my wife's iphone 6+ (not under warranty anymore) won't charge so she brought it to Power Mac Greenhills
    She was told that its unrepairable and can avail of replacement worth P20000+ (they will get old phone and replace a new one) which we did not avail.
    upload_2017-9-1_14-39-56.png upload_2017-9-1_14-40-49.png
    The next day I bought her a new phone. Then after a few days, brought the "damaged" iphone to a mall to fix. The technician updated his computer's itunes and charged my phone. It charged and is functioning well until now.
    I called Power Mac. They told me they saw watermark inside and as per Apple procedure, they consider the unit damaged.
    Upon insisting, I was able to get reports, pictures and emails that proved of their shortcomings.
    I also contacted Apple Singapore and even they admitted Power Mac should have done more. They even send me a free mug to apologize. upload_2017-9-1_14-38-43.png
    In the end, Power Mac still insisted that they are just following procedure. They would not even return the measly diagnostic fee.

Now, the following are my observation and tips to readers in this forum:
    a. Power Mac is not a service center. What they can do it update the software, help you do settings (which you are not familiar with), diagnose to know the type of error. They can open unit just for physical check-up. They don't do beyond what is written in their service manual - meaning they do not need to use common sense. So whenever they made a mistake, they blame it on Apple Procedure - which as per Apple Singapore, is wrong.
    b. Apple Singapore (which oversees the region) can only give advice. They have no control on resellers decisions or mistakes. They mediate but final decision is on the reseller.
    c. Power Mac is not afraid of poor service reputation. Good thing Apple is a 99.9% quality brand. The 0.1% complaint will not affect their sales.
    d. Many people are blinded to their good service. In reality, Apple Singapore allows unit replacement under warranty - there is no sweat in making this decision. You will receive a replacement unit which you don't realize is a fixed unit also from another customer in other region.
    e. Advice from Power Mac cannot be totally trusted. Look for a second opinion
    Google "Find a local Apple Authorized Service Provider". This will bring to Apple Philippines Website. The site will tell you to log in using your Apple ID before it wil bring you to the list of service centers.
    Note that as long as you bought your product from an authorized seller, you can have it fixed by any authorized reseller in the country
    f. The government agency handling Cellphone issues is the NTC as per DTI website. They can only mediate but have no power over these stores. So don't waste your time.

Below are some post that is very similar to my issue. Looking at the dates of the post, Power Mac has become expert in blaming Apple procedures for their shortcomings.
    http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/power-mac-center-was-lying-really-necessary
    http://complaintsboard.ph/main/post/699

Ghibli, wulf and rozbubbles like this.
  2. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

NEVER, EVER go to POWERMAC CENTER!!
    I should've known better, I feel like such a noob.
    Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's my rant... er, story.
    Last week, my 3-week old iPhone XR from smart, shut down and was unresponsive. Brought it to Smart SM Annex, they pointed me to PowerMac right across from them. I even jokingly asked the person in charge if there's any other, as PMC doesn't exactly have the best reputation. Too lazy to go to BTB, and eager to get to the bottom of the shutdown, went in to PMC. Full disclosure, phone has 1 scratch, a result of my car charger with auto sensor that opened while the car was moving on the day I got the phone and haven't found a case I liked yet (full tempered glass installed right away though). Waited for 45minutes for my turn, same guy who issued me my number at the entrance was now the same guy at the counter (felt like one of those comedy films where the doorman, concierge and bellboy is the same person). He takes note of everything, brings my my phone to the "engineer" , comes out after a minute to tell me that my warranty is void because of the "dent." I asked to see the "engineer" as apparently he does not properly know the correct meaning of the word "Dent" ("a slight hollow in a hard even surface made by a blow or pressure") as opposed to a scratch, a cosmetic issue! Guy goes back in again, takes 5-10 minutes this time, comes out and now they agree that it is, indeed, a "deep scratch." However, they stand by their decision that the scratch voids the warranty. WTF?! I asked to see the manager, who tells me that it's just terminology. I tell him it's not just terminology if it voids my warranty! I the explain to him I'm a 20-yr user of Apple products, have owned all iterations of the iPhone along with a history of powerbooks & mbps & iMacs, and I've had whole screens & topcases replaced, no questions asked, through reputable Apple service centres like (then) Ynzal and now, BTB. I even tell him in jest that I'm an "Apple advocate" as I've converted countless friends, family and clients to the Apple side. He finally agrees to correct their report, and assures me they'll fight for my case.
    After 4days, I get the dreaded PMC call, nothing wrong with the phone, and although irregular, the shutdown is not unheard of. So you can now claim your phone, and now you have to pay us P2000 as a diagnostic fee. And oh, your warranty is void. Because of the scratch.
    Lesson of the story? Just. Don't. If you like hitting yourself in the head with a rock, then go ahead. Go to Power Mac Center.

PS: currently appealing my case straight with Apple

raypin likes this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...if it is a Smart-issued iphone, shouldn’t smart take it back and have it repaired or replaced?

wulf and bacchus_3 like this.
  4. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Was surprised as well, but maybe they have a tie-up for convenience? It was just 20 steps away from them. Should've listened to my instincts.

raypin likes this.
  5. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

they will still direct you to apple for repair as it is still under warranty

wulf and raypin like this.
  6. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that experience with powermac bro. can you share this said dent that voided the warranty? .High Chances apple will fix your unit :)

I had a bad experience too them can't recall if its last year or earlier this when i went in to have our Macbook 12 inch keyboard replaced (due to recall faulty/sticky keys) (PowerMac Sm north)

to cut the story short Warranty voided water spillage inside the unit. i didn't argued with them istead i called apple sg and was given an exception.

Requested photos from PowerMac and for some reason Water Damage indicator was slightly trigered.as per Apple SG (it happens specially if its humid) but PowerMac said there was "WATER SPILLAGE" inside the unit LOL.

wulf likes this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I don’t get it. What has a scratch or dent got to do with an iPhone that experiences random shutdowns? And why would it void warranty? How is a dent the reason for a shutdown in the first place? And why pay a diagnostic fee for a device that in the end had NO issues after all? How is it PMC has upgraded the level of their incompetence from idiocy to downright stupidity?

So many questions, but the last is the most important.

wulf likes this.
  8. snipes

snipes Active Member

Order online and ship to your provincial address.

9. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

What province are you at? Had a good experience at a PowerMac in Robinsons Galleria in Cebu. This was back in Nov 2018. Got a 10% cash discount for my MBP 13".

10. hitme64

Would you rather get one from BTB or i-Studio than PMC? I’m not talking about inferior products but of bad service later on. But, your choice so...

11. hitme64

Then buy online from Apple PH. You can’t go wrong with them.

12. snipes

snipes Active Member

he wants to feel it up before paying. ;)

hitme64 likes this.
  13. snipes

snipes Active Member

TMI... we dont really need to know your life story, honey.

14. colormehappy

colormehappy New Member

Got it! I deleted it, might as well edit the quote in your post. You dont have to be so rude, I was just genuinely asking a question.

twelve22 likes this.
  15. snipes

snipes Active Member

girl, have some respect for people's time that your post millennial statements wastes.

Apple Inc's insurance will cover all conceivable hang ups you may have.

Now if you want to emote some more then do it elsewhere.

16. colormehappy

colormehappy New Member

Editing this out. Don't want to argue with you anymore :) .

#1016 colormehappy, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    twelve22 likes this.
  17. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Here's the scratch in question, for what its worth. I only had an iphone7 at that time, and had to take a quick one before they brought it inside, so...

Again, there's no hollowing out of the case, rather more of a superficial mark on the red to reveal the aluminum. Other than that, the phone is in pristine condition, which Powermac can attest to themselves. Rep who received it was even amazed after removing the tempered glass, as it almost looks out of the box brand new. Almost.

Attached Files:

18. shale_slate

shale_slate Member

My friend brought her MBP to PMC because of battery issue. She was told using the MBP while charging will damage the battery. My goodness!

19. hitme64

Haha, classic. Very much what you get with PMC.

Years ago, like 6 years I think, I had the keyboard issue with my MacBook Air and the genius there told me to use an external keyboard if it’s getting annoying. I had to talk with a “real genius” from Apple to troubleshoot the issue then. Just think if they instead told us to just buy something not Apple if we have issues with them instead of really, really doing something.