MERGED: Power Mac Center Feedback..

Discussion in 'Power Mac Center' started by filiusdei, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: power mac center feedback..

Hmmm...if you put it that way where a customer is price-centric then I guess my "mutually exclusive" position doesn't hold. I look at it in the perspective of one type of customer which is just a slice of the whole pie. From your point of view elbert I guess you see this market and I agree a lot of customers are like that. Just like dep28's example, photographers buying at ____'s store are after the low price and just ignore the customer service.

2. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I have to agree with Libra. Let's limit the comparison within the group of stores selling the same items, in this case... Macs. I don't think we can call any Mac store, a discount store. It just doesn't make sense to me because all Macs are premium items. From that alone, most customers would be expecting premium service as well. I just wonder how Digital Hub/Walker is able to offer items at very good prices with the same level of service.

As for Mang R (yeah, the infamous Hidalgo trader), I am not stepping into his store even if he gives me a 50% discount. The experience I will get from dealing with him is not gonna be worth it. My dignity is more precious.

3. rogue

rogue Member

1. there IS a worldwide warranty.
    2. generally speaking mac places ARE friends to each other and to their users BUT
    3. like anything in life, it's only FREE if you know the RIGHT person to talk to.

elbert's right. give us the name of the tech person and we guarantee it'll reach the owner's attention.

welcome to macworld! :)

4. papajamba

papajamba Member

PM does give discounts, big big discounts even, if you know how to talk to the managers

5. akit

akit Member

I used to have a car accessory shop in Banawe and have been hands-on with my customers with positive results. I have been training my staff on everything possible that needs to be learned and practiced with regards to handling customers from opening to closing a sale. Even arrogant customers tend to come back because of the service.

I always tell my staff that outside the store, they are also customers alike so treat the customers the way they would want themselves to be treated.

My greatest frustration - it's really hard to train old dogs new tricks especially when the staff have had previous incorrect selling experiences. Better to hire and train fresh grads willing to accept and undergo correct training.

I would like to say then that whether it be a premium store or a discount store, customers are ALWAYS to be accorded the best possible service ever.

6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

PowerMac offers discount, at the risk of not writing a receipt of course. They shed all the taxes if you don't prefer receipts. Yun ang sabi sakin nung nag email ako at nag tanong why mas mura sa iba?

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

There are vivid examples that demonstrate your posit. Many people endure the scowling faces at CDR-King or the rude guards at Uniwide, or the certain obnoxious camera store owner in Hidalgo - prices are good, although quality may be spotty.

When I sit myself down in a tony restaurant (like yours for sure), I'd expect the waiter to give me a foot rub for the prices I'll be shelling out (take it as a wild hyperbole). Or if the owner invests in a store that suggests MoMA or Ginza, then I'd naturally expect that the owner has equally invested in adequate customer-service training for its floor staff as well.

8. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I hope sibosero would resurface and share with us his experience.

9. Libra

Libra Member

Honestly it's quite infuriating to know about what's happening at PM. I mean, discounts should be given outright and not some sort of negotiation by talking to the manager (is this like a power tripping by begging for discounts?) or discussing non-issuance of receipts. I'm not being righteous but just after giving all buyers an equal opportunity to get discounts. That's all.

I maybe bitter about this (because I bought a lot of stuff there already) and i'm happy for those who got discounts but these approaches and discretion makes my blood boil. :(

#89 Libra, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. John H

John H Member

I value my time as well as my money. Although for other people it is fun, I honestly hate haggling for the best price. Thats one thing I dislike in shopping for Macs locally - is that you have to do some extensive leg work to get the best prices - or else you get ripped off. What a waste of time.

I hate the fact that there are retail outlets such as PowerMac that prey on naive newbies/new mac buyers - making them pay 10-20k more then SRP on Mac purchases. They even have bad service to boot. If I was to pay their expensive prices I would at least expect their sales staff to give me a foot spa and shatsu massage. Probably gives them quite a fat profit but it is clearly price gouging and very unethical.

Libra, I understand your situation. It must suck to find out later on (after you bought a ton of stuff from PM) that you actually paid more then you should.

#90 John H, Jun 5, 2008
  11. ikenn

ikenn Member

PowerMac is not ripping of the newbies/new mac buyers. They are selling on the SRP given by Apple.

12. Libra

Libra Member

@ John H

I totally agree with you. I mean I have no regrets in buying them at PM. I was fortunate enough that the sales personnel were all ok as far as I'm concerned. But this dark side of PM somehow creates this bad mask on how things are being done inside like a secret password to get a good deal.

When I buy my stuff there (will suspend my desire to buy stuff there for a while), it never crossed my mind to bluntly ask for discount not because I'm eagerly trying to get a good deal but only because there was no indication of any sale (why ask for discount when there's no sale and PM never struck me as a bargain center). I have no qualms with people who enjoys this begging/haggling for a good rate/discount (because there are people who are like that - its in their nature as they say it). What irritates me is this being allowed selectively by PM.

Oh well, lessons learned. I can't afford to regret the items I bought because I do love them so much and it's expensive. :slanted:

13. John H

John H Member

Say what you will sir but PowerMac sells Macs much higher then can be purchased in other (more cheaper) places. I say they are ripping new mac buyers off because my then 15 year old niece was a victim. She purchased a new ibook (her first Mac with her own hard earned money) from Powermac a couple of years ago only to find out (to her dismay) that she can get the same model for 10k cheaper from other resellers. If I only knew, I would have directed her elsewhere. SRP be damned, I'm taking the side of the consumer.

Libra is another a good example - read his posts. He clearly bought items from PowerMac at prices much higher then it should have been. But then again, to be fair this is a common local practice so it can't be helped.

#93 John H, Jun 5, 2008
  14. ikenn

ikenn Member

There might be other places that can sell Mac at a cheaper price. There's no denying it. Similar to US, you can buy mac a lot cheaper from other mac reseller than from Apple Store.

Therefore i have to disagree with you that PoweMac is ripping people off. Following the SRP doesn't equate to a rip off price.

Although i won't be arguing with you that with that price they are giving, they should have a better customer service. But so far i don't have a problem with them yet.

15. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

Yup they're selling at SRP, with P60.00 per $1 conversion. And additional P5,000.00 for Macs.

16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

So those prices PowerMac advertises are Apple SRP? Wow, thats pretty expensive considering US, Hong Kong and Singapore prices are quite similar and low compared to Philippine's SRP. I mean even Apple Thailand have lower prices then the local Mac retail - I know because I visit my aunt in Bangkok every Christmas and check out prices of Macs over there. Must be the additional taxes and tariffs, eh?

Well, Apple Store is already cheap/reasonable to begin with. PowerMac is not. ( Disclaimer: I'm not saying PowerMac is ripping people off - just expensive) :)

Bingo

#96 Salaryman Ryan, Jun 5, 2008
  17. ikenn

ikenn Member

Blame it in our tax. AFAIK the taxes are a big factor in the prices.

18. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Maybe because they occupy prime spots in malls so they pay a higher amount for the lease of the store space? I'm not trying to justify the high prices but what could be the real reason?

19. John H

John H Member

I digress, for if I push this further, we would only be arguing on semantics. The bottom line is this: No one would be happy to find out later that they paid thousands of pesos more (to PowerMac) then they should had for their new Mac. Even if the prices they paid were Apple's SRP.

Caveat emptor indeed.

Well said.

#99 John H, Jun 5, 2008
  20. Big Daddy Mon

Big Daddy Mon New Member

Customer Service is a touchy subject. Books have been written on it. Its even an entire building in some companies.

I love the exchange of thoughts and opinions. Certainly one of the best forums I had the privilege of joining. And all seem to have a point in what has been said regarding the customer service in Mac shops. Some have good experiences while some the exact opposite.

I guess partly the reason is the "puwede na yan" attitude of BOTH the customer AND the technician. A mediocre job by the technician in rendering service will be met with a "puwede na yan" evaluation by the customer. In the end, the transaction is done with the technician thinking "ok na yung service level na yun".

Training goes a long way, but what sets great customer service is the passion for the work. Hats off ako sa mga long time Mac users dito - if you can just hear yourself talking about the Mac - I know that you will take GREAT care of the equipment even if I have yet to meet you guys in person. I think that's a major differentiator.

Companies with poor service will realize only too late that at the end of the day -- we, the customers will have the final say and last laugh. They will just wake up one day and find out they have no more customers because we will continue to look for a place with better service.

Cheers.