MERGED: iPad 3G discussions (including Micro-SIM discussions)

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by wiretap_MD, Jan 28, 2010.

1. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

I wonder how Globe would decide to market the iPad to the Philippine market, since it is the official Apple carrier in our country. This issue would probably revolve around the iPad's requirement for a "micro" simcard which is 52% smaller than the current simcards that we have. With Apple signing another agreement with AT&T for their iPad data network, they still effectively "locked" the iPad to the AT&T network even though they are releasing it as an unlocked/openline version.

So if Globe were to release the iPad, they would need to bring in the new micro sims to allow the iPad 3G versions to work with Globe's UMTS network. What would this mean? A new, separate, iPad plan just for it? What if we decide to purchase our iPad's from abroad (due to lower prices) and use it with Globe or any of the other networks here? Or if our local resellers here decide to sell the iPad units themselves. Globe probably won't sell to us just a iPad plan with the new microsim if we didn't get the iPad unit from them right? How about if we decide to use it with Smart or Sun's data network? Would it be feasible for them to market the micro-sims in order to encourage iPad users to switch to them? Its a free for all market anyway , with the inherent unlocked design of the iPad.

I believe that one of the ways in order to circumvent this would be to get a regular line with a data plan, get those simcard cloners to copy the simcard information from the regular sim, and then write it to a blank micro sim wafer card.

Your thoughts guys...

2. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Re: Globe and iPad: How would Globe market this?

Steve Jobs statement: We are selling the iPad unlocked (SJ thinking: Yeah, come on, applause...you probably think we'd give it to you guys that easily?).
    Steve Jobs statement: But It will need need new micro-sim cards. (Which is even better than the software lock. Hahaha.)

As quoted from an article from engadget, the Micro-sims may be Apple's way of "locking the device to selected telcos".

"...but the long and the short of it is that you're going to have a hard time finding a carrier offering Micro SIMs in the short term since the GSMA doesn't appear to be actively spearheading a mass conversion. In fact, from AT&T's perspective, this is better than a software lock in some ways -- you're not going to be able to download a hack that gets you on another network, so you're totally at the mercy of your carrier at choice for providing a compatible card."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipads-micro-sim-explained/

3. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Globe probably won't market the iPad.

It's being sold unlocked. It'll probably be sold by the Apple retailers like Digital Hub/iStudio/PowerMAC.

The question is, will Globe/Smart/Sun make microsims that will work with the iPad? We'll see.

Leo

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

.....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Smart will support the iPad and, if so, it will nicely dovetail the upcoming release of a new unlimited plan for Smart Infinity subscribers. As for marketing, Globe will market the 3g version while Apple resellers will market the non-3g version. I don't see any palpable reason for Globe to market both since they are primarily in the business of selling Telco airtime.

#4 raypin, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. empty

empty Active Member

The 3FF is pin (or pad, in this case) identical to the standard USIM we currently use. All the electronics of the SIM fit under the gold pad so its quite possible to cut a regular sim to fit. Backward compatibility was a key element for ETSI in development of the 3FF SIM. The difference is just plastic. So unless the sim has some identifier that its a 3FF sim and Apple makes the iPad check for this we should be able to pop in any trimmed down SIM of our choice.

Here is a rendition of a sim card that is compatible with all the 3 formats (credit card size, current USIM and 3FF sim) which I got form the ETSI website:

[​IMG]

6. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

Hehehe. Reminds me of what loko-loko did to my Sun simcard in order to fit the Turbo Sim overlay wafer for my former iphone 3G unlock :cool:

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

@wiretap_MD: Further to "AT&T/Apple conspiracy theory", it was deemed weird for Apple to have gone the way of the micro-SIM for a product that's about four times bigger than the iPhone (which carried the regular-sized SIM). I am scratching my head to the detriment of my vanishing follicles searching for any plausible rationale to disprove the theory.

8. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Sim solutions. Here we go again.

I also read that it seems we won't be able to use our iPhones to tether its 3G connection via Bluetooth.
    Try turning on internet tethering on your iPhone 3GS. Put another iPhone on its side and it won't be able to detect the Bluetooth. Remember that the iPad also runs iPhone OS.

An iPad which relies only on Wifi cuts its capabilities significantly considering it's being marketed as a mobile device. So I think the iPad 3G is the way to go.

9. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

The 3G version might not be available locally. All of the 3G netbooks that are being sold here (correct me if I'm misinformed) have their 3G disabled as they're not approved by the NTC. This might be the case with the iPad.

10. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

But the case here is that its not a netbook which apple clearly pointed out.

11. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

3G Service Provider for the iPad

I think the iPad is the greatest thing since the iPhone.

My question is which 3G provider would be best to mate this with?

So far I've seen the data SIM-only SUN service that goes for P800/month.

Any other recommendation? :confused:

I don't mind paying a premium so long as the service would not have me waiting.

12. chibull

chibull Member

Re: 3G Service Provider for the iPad

I think the 3G models will not be offered here in the Phils right away. Much like the 1st iPhone.

13. majesta24

majesta24 Member

agree... seems our telcos do not have those micro gsm sim cards that the ipad will be using...

14. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

What is to stop me from having one flown in from the US? :)

Assuming the micro SIM becomes available to all three telcos...

Which would you choose? Globe, Sun or Smart? Pretty much after Quality of Service... ;)

15. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

ill choose sun.. :D

so its better to wait til april for the Wifi-3G model.

16. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

dont think any of the local telco will be offering the micro sim.. the only device that uses it is the ipad. but you might find sim cloners doing the job for you in greenhills soon.

17. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

from this image, I think the regular sim can just be cut to fit the new micro SIM slot. the pink is the standard, the green is the micro (though it say there it's mini)

[​IMG]

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Considering what our Telcos are charging right now, I probably be contented using WiFi with my iPad for the moment. Its not like an iPhone that you can just whip out anywhere if you need to access data.

19. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

The telcos might charge a billion pesos more just to cut the sim even smaller. LOL

20. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

^The NTC governs wireless communication, so this would fall under its purview. I mean, they regulate Bluetooth-using products too (at least, they used to).