memory ram question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by presto, Jun 11, 2009.

1. presto

presto Member

i bought 2x2gb kingston in silicon valley megamall, ddr2 667. then i went to powermac for them to install because i was scared pa to do it myself, then when the tech installed the 2 ram, it doesn't boot, no sounds, no lcd. then we tried switching rams, nothing happened, he tried to switch my old 1gb + 2gb, then it run ok. then they told me they have 1 more stock of 2gb kingston, ( the reason i bought the 2gb in silicon valley is because they dont have stock for 2x2gb in power mac ) when he installed my 2gb and their 2gb it worked. so i bought it because its getting late. when i got home, when i logged into bootcamp, i notice my RAM is only 2.96. in apple forums i read about threads same as my problem. they said that the 32bit xp only reads 3gb? is that true?

then i downloaded "system information for windwos" i saw from the thread and notice that my 2gb from silicon valley is ddr2 800, not 667. they sold me what? fake? the sticker from the memory and its serials is 667, but the "siw" saw was 800mhz.

so i switched back 2gb from power mac and 1gb stock back because im going to replace the 2x2gb for true 667's

one thing i noticed, at my system from control panel, it indicates, T8300 2.40 GHZ then 2.39 GHZ 2.96 GB, sometimes the 2.39 is 1.58GZ, and 789mhz. what does that mean? its not permanent.

do you think if i replace my 2x2gb 800mhz ram, ill get what i need? 667? or all of the kingston memory they sell is the same as what i got?

2. codename_ethan

Hi presto. First of all, welcome to Philmug. :)

I just upgraded my RAM last weekend to 2x1GB Kingston DDR2 667MHz. I had no problems with my MB whatsoever.

First off, what model is your MB? Mine is mid-2007, and I found out that it can handle max RAM of only 3GB. That's why I only upgraded to 2GB. Maybe your MB can also handle max RAM of 3GB only, that's why even if you installed 4GB total RAM, it only shows you 3GB.

Regarding the RAM you bought from Silicon Valley, I suggest you take them back and tell them what you found out. Kingston might have overlooked that certain device. It could be an honest mistake.

3. presto

presto Member

mine is i think early 2008? not sure, macbook 4,1

i think there are kinds of kingston 2gb, from power mac, its engraved ELPIDA on the sticks, and the silicon valley is QIMONDA, in the case, it says that its KVR667D2S5/2G but "system information for windows" detects the QIMONDA as DDR2 800.

guys what do you think? i need your help, i went there earlier, they dont believe what i said, so i have to go back there again, (irritation) to show them along with my mac what my mac said.

4. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

same thing happened to my GF who is also using the early 2008 Macbook 4,1. Was buying 2x 2gig from PC express but we asked them to install is aswell since it is very easy just to make sure the RAM is working.

After putting 2x 2gig kingston, no boot at all, tried 2x transcend, no go parin.

we tried the 1x 2gig and her original 1gig and it worked. We ended buying 1x 2gig, anyway, 3gig i think is more than enough since she just use the macbook for browsing and MS office, and parallels. no real heavy apps like photoshop or video editing.

5. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

We upgraded our late 2006 iMac a couple of months ago and didn't encounter issues either.

We bought a couple of RAM modules (1x1GB Kingston and 1x2GB Kingston) from PC Express in ATC. The RAM modules were still sealed and in the original packaging; they were labeled DDR2-667. We were afraid that it would not work with our iMac so we dropped by SW!TCH (also at ATC) to have people there check the RAM and we were told that they were compatible for our iMac model.

When my wife and I got home we removed the old RAM modules (2x512GB) and replaced them with the RAM we just bought. True enough, the iMac booted without any problems.

@presto and @bedanmick: Did you check your documentation or the Apple Support website to see what RAM specs are compatible with your Macbooks? I was very specific to the people at PC Express and even gave them the full RAM specs as stated by Apple (DDR2/667/PC2-5300/200 Pin).

They told us that if we had any problems, we could bring back the items and they'll replace them. But then, everything worked great for us.

6. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

@reivi400 yep, very specific when we bought the memory. I dont know what is really going on, but when i used to have the same macbook, i was able to upgrade to 4gig which I purchased at PC xpress, same store in V-Mall aswell.

Anyway, no biggies anymore. She is happy with the 3gig ram and in case time comes that we need to upgrade to 4gig, then we will just let Digital Hub do it for us.

@presto - how much is the 2gig sa PowerMac?

7. presto

presto Member

macbook 4,1 is upgradable to 4GB,

my 2x2gb kingston from silicon valley dont boot ( P1200 )

but 1x2gb kingston from silicon valley + 1x2gb kingston from power mac ( P1800 yata ) works.

i used 2 programs sa windows xp, SYSTEM INFORMATION FOR WINDOWS and CPU-Z to determine what type of ram nakakabit, it said that silicon valley = PC2 800 and power mac = pc2 667

but! now lang, i found out in mac osx, it reads my memory 667 even in silicon valley, what went wrong? sakit sa ulo