Media Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Somnambulist, Mar 31, 2014.

1. onepaks

onepaks Member

Macmini connected to a 50 inch plasma

2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Bought this last year for SGD100. It's now gathering dust. Stability issue is an understatement. It doesn't work, The applications loads so slow you'll end up waiting for 20-30 mins. Also you need a keyboard to search for video files. Don't waste your money on this. Buy something else. I'm using Apple TV for Video streaming ( YouTube, etc.) and a very cheap Xtreamer Elvira for playing my MKV files.

3. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Amazon FireTV just came out... Touting to be superior than roku3 and ATV.

4. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Interestingly, I've neve bought anything off Apple's movie library.
    I just use Beamer app from a macbook air to stream my collection of MKVs.

5. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Been using the WDTV Live Hub since 2010 and it works very well. We currently use it for an average of 6-8 hours a day - kids watch cartoons during the day, me and my wife watch TV shows/Movies at night.

I was choosing between the Xtreamer and the Live Hub back in 2010 and chose the latter because of the ff:

- HFS support
    - Automatic download of TV and Movie sheets complete with ratings, synopsis, poster, backdrops, etc.
    - 1TB HDD built in - easier to bring out of town

The only thing that it lacks is built in wifi. I just plugged in a Linksys WUSB-600N (5Ghz) and stream MKV files via NAS. When my wifi dongle died, I switched to a powerline solution - Belkin AV500.

6. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

Too bad it got phased out.

7. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Wow really? At least there's the WDTV live 2 which is basically a Live Hub without the 1TB HDD And has built in wifi.

8. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

Yep. What I use is the WDTV Live, but I need another networked media player and I don't want to buy another WDTV Live.

I had to sell the ASUS O!Play Gallery as it's not detecting the media files from my NAS.

9. leninmac

Hi folks. I need your advise in buying a new media player as my Xtreamer just stopped working. I'm obviously looking for a media player that can play if possible all video files. I have several portable hard drives so I won't need one that has internal memory. I'm also not interested in video streaming apps like YouTube or Vimeo since I'm already using Apple TV. What I'm looking for is good looking UI and an apps that would will pull in online info. about my movie files ( movieposter, synopsis, movie reviews, etc.). Just went to Funan yesterday I only saw 2 media players. an AC Ryan Playon HD Mini and a WDTV Live. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

10. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

Measy HD Media player
    P2K only

11. bernabe69

bernabe69 New Member

Hello. Does anybody here know where to score a Roku 3 locally that is close to its $99 retail price? I've seen a few sellers online but are outrageously priced (between 6.8k~8k).

12. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

^ @bernabe69 99 USD + tax. Do not forget the tax. Plus the expense of shipping. I think 6.8k is a reasonable price.

13. Superman102175

Durian and Pomelo Capital Of The Philippines
    Dune...Available at Architectural Audio @ Greenbelt :D

14. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I got mine online and shipped through MSB. Shipping is about $17 per unit (I didn't buy them all at once). If you want them cheaper, you can opt for refurbished units at about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a new one.

All four Roku 3's I've ever bought online only costed me an average of Php4k each, landed.

15. bernabe69

bernabe69 New Member

That's probably what I'm gonna do. But I'll be using JAC instead. 50% mark-up is way too much.

16. leninmac

Hi folks. Anyone here using the PCH C300. I'm planning to get one but I'm still unsure whether to buy this or the newer model, the A410.

17. number001

number001 Active Member

A410
    + 3D playback
    + Newer hardware and features

- Cannot play BD Menu

C300

+ Expansion: drive bay (for hard drive or BD ROM, and extra SATA port inside.)
    + Can play BD Menu

- No 3D playback
    - Hardware quite dated

=====

Hope they can release a C400 that marries the positives of both C200/300 with A410.

18. leninmac

Thanks. I decided to buy the a410 since I already have a bluray player.

[​IMG]

19. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

I am planning to buy a Minix Z64 Windows version. Anyone here has it? I want to get one to sync my iPad and iPhone and download stuff.