Media Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Somnambulist, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

What media players do you use? I currently have a WDTV Live and an ASUS O!Play Gallery. My first media player was the ASUS O!Play Mini.

I will write short reviews of each, but right now, WDTV Live has the best price-performance ratio.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

3. putakti

putakti Active Member

Raspberry PI for me hehehe.. cheap machine plus you can do lots of things..

4. kyubi

kyubi Member

Been using egreat s100. But TVs nowadays can be connected with HDDs thru their own usb slots. I think, we wont be needing media players in the future.

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

We're quite not there yet. Most TVs' built-in media/codec support is still limited and the UI leaves a lot to be desired.

Coming from someone who once made the wrong decision, the cost of having smart TV features is still significant compared to an equivalent model without it. Just pair the latter with a good HD media player and you're set. If you get tired of the interface, just swap media players... your TV will just be the 'monitor'. You get tired of THAT, just swap it with a bigger screen or even a 3D model. You don't have to pay the premium of having smart TV features that aren't as 'smart' as many would think. You're at the mercy of the TV manufacturer to release updates/improvements to their own UI. Trust me... there's not much innovation coming from them.

6. Somnambulist

I agree. More importantly, while many TVs today have built-in USB media players, many do not have audio output options. For me, audio quality is just as important, if not more so, than picture quality. And all TVs have crappy built-in speakers.

#6 Somnambulist, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. quakercountry

quakercountry Member

any media player with built in downloader? i want to turn my pc off when its just downloading.

8. kyubi

kyubi Member

Now i need a new Egreat RA-ii! Thanks for the infos... ;)

9. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Boxee for me

10. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My favorite media player used to be the PS3 (I watch a lot of non-iTunes videos from a NAS via DLNA). I even got a second one off Sulit to put in our bedroom. I also used to be a WDTV Live fan but the lack of Amazon Prime Instant Video support killed it for me.

That was all before I finally tried out the Apple TV last year. The iPad/iPhone + Apple TV combo is now my favorite. AirPlay works amazingly well. Apps are available for all my media needs -- NPlayer for supported formats via DLNA, Air Video HD for non-MP4 videos, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix. I even stopped buying Blu-rays and switched to buying all my movies and tv shows from iTunes. You can still control the apps with a universal remote when using AirPlay. Now have an Apple TV hooked up to every TV in the house.

11. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple TV with Beamer app
    LG Bluray player with usb port capable of playing lots of file formats and audio codecs.

Back at home, I have the Asus O-Play Mini and it works flawlessly. I wish it has a better remote though.

12. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Samsung 40" Smart TV with a 1.5TB WD Elements HDD, a 1TB WD TV Live and Plex Server installed on my MacBook Pro.

13. nickster88

nickster88 Member

+1 to this
    My old setup was using my Samsung Tv's usb port to play movies then route the audio thru the optical out and into a/v receiver's optical in.

Ive had audio sync issues most of the time.

Ended up with an Xtreamer Sidewinder SE and no regrets ever since. Plays 95% of the video formats i throw at it

14. Sanobabits

Sanobabits Member

How's Xtreamer Sidewinder SE? Thats ver3, right? How's Airplay?

15. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

Using popcorn hour for more than 3 years already. :)

16. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

17. Somnambulist

I want to, but it runs on Android. And you know how it is with Android--stability issues, lag issues, etc. Also, daming custom firmware ng Minix. It's too much work.

18. Somnambulist

[​IMG]

Here's my quick review of the ASUS O!Play Gallery

Pros:
    1. Stylish design - The O!Play Gallery will blend with any home theater setup thanks to its piano black finish and sleek and classy exterior.
    2. Built-in WiFi connectivity - I hate antennnas and dongles. The fact that the O!Gallery has strong WiFi without having the need for an antenna/dongle is a major plus
    3. You can add a 3.5" internal HDD
    4. Smooth/Fluid User Interface - more responsive than WDTV Live
    5. Mutliple Inputs - including a USB 3.0 port and card Readers ( SD/CF/ MS/ MS Duo/ MMC)
    6. Good Picture Quality - renders better and sharper PQ than my Pioneer MCS-333.

Cons:
    1. Lack of support from ASUS - When I connected this to my WiFi network, I immediately checked for a firmware update. None. I know a lot of people don't like firmware upgrades, but me, I'm a sucker for those.
    2. Wireless Streaming Issue - I couldn't get it to work. The O!Play Gallery could detect my Pogoplug but not the media content for some reason. I could not stream media from my phone. My phone could detect the O!Gallery but the movie file just won't play. Some people don't care for these, but these are deal-breakers for me. Also, this could have been fixed by the firmware upgrade that never came.
    3. Awful Remote Controll App - Just horrible
    4. Remote Control Lacks Key Features - Like being able to skip via time input

Buy or Don't Buy?
    If you don't stream media within your wireless network, then this is a Buy. This has more features than the other media players in this price range, and you'll be very happy with it--if you're not into wireless streaming, using your phone as a remote control, etc.

19. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

20. Somnambulist

Yeah, but the Amazon Fire TV, along with Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Roku 3, are media streamers and mainly dependent on content by subscription.