MBP videocard...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by travism, Aug 30, 2008.

1. travism

travism Active Member

Hi, I heard a rumor that the MBP's video card had an issue. Has anyone heard of the rumor? Can anyone confirm the rumor? Will the Apple Protection Plan cover it too? If it was already posted my apologies... Any info would be awesome! Thanks!

2. sawtooth

sawtooth Member

sadly bro totoo yun, announced daw ng nvidia about their 86 and 88 series nila... nasisira ata..it sucks man...hafto buy me an applecare for that

3. loopy

loopy Member

actually no one knows for sure. yes, nvidia announced that a batch of their mobile processors are affected by weak substrate material that causes the gpus to fail when subjected to thermal cycling (quick changes from low to hot to low gpu temps). they claim that it was just a batch and that they have changed the manufaturing materials and process for the current gpus.

however, they have not disclosed what time frame relates to the affected batch and which manufactureres are involved. only HP and DELL are certain as they have already made announcements on their sites for warranty coverage (they've experienced a lot of failures on both 8400 and 8600). apple hasn't made any announcement and it's not clear how many of their machines have been failing. so no one knows for sure but getting APP now would be a very good idea if you own an MBP with an 8600 (besides, you should extend warranties for laptops considering the thermal conditions they work in).

cheers!

p.s.

apparently there are warning signs such as video artifacts, distortions, etc.

4. travism

travism Active Member

Eeeks! I have an 8600 GT in my MBP... My MBP is still covered. (Wala pang one year since I got this Feb of this year...) I am planning to get APP but do I still have to wait for Apple to announce or can I get in touch with them for their comments?

5. travism

travism Active Member

Actually, I've already experienced some freezing when I DJ in places without proper ventilation i the DJ booth. I thought it was an issue with the other stuff in the sound but now that I have read the issue when it comes to the temps & the video card, I can some how see a link forming. (Or maybe it's just my paranoia!) Still, if I got a unit with a defective videocard, should I wait for Apple's announcement or message then right away?

6. loopy

loopy Member

hi travism!

others have asked apple and their current stance is that the gpus in the mbps are fine. considering that the 8600 only showed up in the middle of last year, maybe there isn't enough of a sample set. wouldn't hurt to ask so that you'll have their confirmation in writing for your records if ever you might need it. maybe buy apple care during the 10th or 11th month? better to be safe than sorry.

oh! one thing you can do is check your logs after kernel panics, freezes or crashes. for 8600 failures, the logs show nvidia errors.

cheers!

7. sawtooth

sawtooth Member

apple shoud do another recall on this one, the same with the past battery burn out issues ...hmmmm

8. sawtooth

sawtooth Member

oh ya ive also read somewhere in the apple forums regarding video cards linked with the efi firmware updates..it seems na mostly ang nagkaproblema na users are the ones who updated their firmware... when they put their mbp to sleep yung light naka full bright pa rin and after they wake it up naging blank na yung screen.. nakaka praning man... mines full bright pag nakaclose yung lid...im saving up na for APP just in case... whats wrong with apple these days=S

9. SonicYan

SonicYan Member

10. katm

katm New Member

I've read specs of the MBPs as of this message... They're still running the 8800s. Best to buy APP!

11. dep28

dep28 Active Member

oh snap, i'm running on the 8600....hope apple releases something formal about this issue real soon....thank heavens i've got APP though...

12. SonicYan

SonicYan Member

[​IMG]

Its funny how some Apple Protection Plan boxes came with this note. :p

13. travism

travism Active Member

Hehehe oh well, I guess we have to wait for Apple's formal announcement. I hope someone could post it here once it comes out... (Like the batt recall...) I'll get Apple Care soon. I still have until Jan 09 with my MBP. I just hope they change the videocards of the new ones too.

14. sharkbite

sharkbite Member

does the APP cost less than the video card itself?:) will i spend more if my card burns out and ill buy a replacement?

15. travism

travism Active Member

I doubt that you can replace the videocard of the MBP...

16. mindless

mindless Member

The video card chip is soldered into the logic board so if your video card craps out they need to replace the whole logic board.

17. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

#17 enshong, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  18. danma2ts

danma2ts Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

yep i just had this same problem 2 days ago. my MBP's screen just went black when i started it up. :( the machine boots but there's no display. im bringing it to digitalwalker greenhills and have their tech peeps check it out.

19. serge

serge New Member

i got the same problem on my MBP yesterday...

naayos ba nila when you bring to Digital Walker Greenhills and how much it cost sa pag repair?

20. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Yep they'll fix it for FREE as stated in that document. Got mine repaired too without charge. Kelangan lang muna i-confirm nila and they'll do some tests. :)