MBP Stopped Charging!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by irisgodd3ss, Aug 4, 2009.

1. irisgodd3ss

irisgodd3ss Member

Just a few minutes ago, I noticed my 5-day old MBP stopped charging. When my husband checked the Magsafe, it was hot enough to fry an egg! I was in a panic, but the husband told me to give it a few minutes to cool down, then we'll try again. Thankfully, it worked!

Now, the Magsafe has only been plugged in for about 5 minutes, but it's now getting really, really, really warm - almost close to how it was when it stopped working. I don't remember it ever being this warm! Is this normal?

What do you think happened? Does the Magsafe have like a safety cut-out thingy if it gets too hot or something? The actual plug that goes into the socket is one of those thick, 3-pin UK and HK ones.

My heart literally stopped! Can this be avoided in the future? Also, I don't have an APP yet. Will issues like this be covered by the standard warranty? If so, would I have to take this to the shop that I bought it from, or will any Apple service center do?

2. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

try another magsafe if you can

bring yours to a service center and have it replaced

3. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

bring it to iRescue in Digital Hub VMall in Greenhills so it can be checked.... the magsafe adapter usually doesn't get that hot... HTH...

4. ctferndo

ctferndo Member

at times, my magsafe charger gets a bit hot. almost too hot to hold. but it gets cooler as the battery gets charged. again, when in doubt, bring it to digital hub.

5. jcdman

jcdman Member

It's just normal for a charger to get warm or hot. As far as I know, there are magsafe adapters that have a sort of fuse in the circuitry, I think it's with the new ones.

In case this is already unusually hot as you said, try to bring it to us, we'll run a diagnostic and see if there's something wrong with it. Otherwise, if it's good and you're a bit worried about the battery being a hazard, you can try calling the hotline at 1800-14410234 and raise the issue :)

Your chance is pretty high in getting a replacement since they are quite sensitive with issues like those.

#5 jcdman, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  6. irisgodd3ss

irisgodd3ss Member

I bought this from Charlie, and since I'm in Cebu, he had to have it especially shipped to the Digital Walker store here. I don't think the DW here offers these sort of services, so is it okay if I take it to other Apple service centers? Would this be automatically covered by the existing warranty, or will I have to pay? I just don't want to get conned as this would be a first for me.

7. jcdman

jcdman Member

Yes you can still have that serviced, any authorized service provider will provide you service free of charge if your unit is still under warranty :)

8. irisgodd3ss

irisgodd3ss Member

Phew! I'm going to pop down to the nearest service center tomorrow, and hopefully this will NEVER happen again. It's not good for my nerves. :p

Thanks a lot, y'all! :D

9. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

magsafe gets warm when charging.... but if its too hot to fry some eggs, better have it check. just to be safe

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

11. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm pretty sure the magsafe issue was a problem with the older "classic" Macbook Pros. I have yet to see a similar incident with a unibody.

Keep us updated Iris! We want to know what happened to your Magsafe!

12. zasRo

zasRo Member

Mine gets hot also. That is why i rarely get a 100% charged battery. At around 75%, the box of my magsafe gets hot.. but not hot enough to fry an egg but really hot so i disconnect it. Is this normal?

13. MacNotApple

MacNotApple Member

Just to answer that thing in bold, YES it will be under the warranty since it seems to be a factory defect. But it could also be your wall socket that could be grounded. Either way I think it will still be covered.

Also, your MBP is under APP (aka standard warranty). The APP you buy is just to increase that current APP of yours to two additional years, making it three years of warranty in total. :)