MBP or MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jowaks, Jan 12, 2012.

1. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

There is actually a tradeoff whichever you pick, coz one is actually suitable in a certain task when the other is not.
    My wife's 11" MBA is a joy to use, especially when you like travelling with your laptop. Heck, even moving around the house with it is such bliss. Now, my 15" MBP isn't exactly lightweight but it packs more punch than the tinny MBA.

2. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

in the case of MBAs, is it ok to leave the charger connected to the unit?
    thanks!

3. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

^yes. I do it with my MBA for years now and batt is still in good condish. :)

4. law_ren22

law_ren22 Member

Yes, i only remove it from the charger/power outlet whenever i'm on the go. But 90% of the time its connected to the power outlet and leave it there for hours.

5. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

No, leaving it connected all the time prevents the battery from proper cycling. This is the common cause of shortened battery life. Try to google "proper battery maintenance". I believe we even have a thread about that here.

6. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

Which version of the Word for Mac is compatible with the MBA? I'd like to install one again, and hoping that its available sa DW or iStudio.
    Thanks!

7. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my mac to the 2013 MBA, I'm originally coming from the 2011 MBP... What MBA model should I get? Or should stick to the Mid-2012 MBP with i5 and HDD?

I'm basically using it for surfing the net, watching videos, mails and work and a couple of photo and video editing using Adobe and iMovie.

The price of the 13" MBA is very attractive but I'm worried about the specs of it, it seems so limited.

How about the 256GB SSD? Is it any good? Is the 4GB ram any good?

Any 2013 MBA users here? And how's the overall performance?

All your inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks!

8. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

@gdelacerna a much (cheaper) option is to increase your RAM (if you haven't yet) and upgrade the HDD in your MBP to SSD.

9. popoy05

popoy05 Member

ok lang po ba na ang bibilhin ko na macbook pro eh yung ndi pa retina? yung 500GB kasi ang tumtwag sakin para bilhin ko sya. yung iba kasi mababa yung memory. thanks!!

10. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Shouldn't be a problem. But it would depend largely on what you need the MacBook for? If you're doing video or photography editing,the retina might be the Mac for you.

11. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Recently acquired a 13.3 retina macbook pro 2.6 GHz, 8Gb memory, 256 SSD. It's fast turning on and opening apps. Get one with an SSD and be amazed at the speed of this little machine. Even apps like Photoshop, inDesign and the like open at lightning speed. Beats my 21.5 iMac late 2012, 2.9 GHz with 1 TB HD with the same memory. Am thinking of getting an SSD for my iMac soon. HTH!