MBP - Defective Logic Board after 1yr 4mos. ONLY

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by welt, Dec 15, 2009.

1. welt

welt New Member

On July 2008, I purchased a brand new 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz / 200GB HDD/ 2Gb RAM) under Senco Link with a significant discount through the Educational Advantage Promo.

On Nov 2009, everything was doing fine and I closed my MBP to put it into sleep. Afterwards, I attached my iPod in the USB port and opened the lid of my MBP. Then it happened, IT WON'T WAKE UP. :(

So I did a reset and now it won't chime and also no display on the monitor, I could only hear the hard drive working and the sleep indicator light is on all the time. It is in eternal sleep.

After exhaustively trying every troubleshooting method the internet threw at me, I gave it to the Senco Link Service Center at Tomas Morato to have it checked attaching this document (NVIDIA ISSUE: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377) which I thought was the problem. After a week or so, they concluded that it was probably a defective logic board.

I also brought it to Digital Hub Vmall for a 2nd opinion and they also said it is probably a defective logic board.

With my 1 year warranty already expired (Just 4 months ago) and without AppleCare, both Senco and DigiHub just advised me to buy a new one since the price of the logic board is almost the price of a brand new MBP. :(

So What shoud I do? I badly need a laptop since I'm still in school. Please Help. Thanks in advance.

#1 welt, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. RC

RC Active Member

don't mean to be a bad guy or anything...

...but since...from your statement...this happened last year of november 2008...4 months after you've bought your unit...why is it that only today december of 2009 have you seeked advise from your fellow Philmuggers???

and aside from more clarifications from your story...did you know of the extended apple care program??? which every authorized apple reseller should be informing their customers??? and if not informed did they(the company offer up the extended warranty to help cut costs on your behalf down?)

and if you were aware of the extended service could you inform/post why you didn't take/get it? (...maybe previous mac user and did not see the use after a year of no problems for example...)

3. welt

welt New Member

Sorry, What I meant was Nov 2009. Just a couple of weeks back. And my mac is still with DigiHub as of this moment.

And No, they did not inform me about the apple care. I just bought it through the phone since it was a limited educ. promo and the delivery guy handed it to me in my house. I just discovered the mechanics of applecare just recently but I was already too late. For the sake of "what if I was aware of applecare earlier" One issue maybe would be the price (14-15k I think) as I have limited funds.

#3 welt, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

@RC. he mentioned that 1year and 4months. which is last month.

@welt, you can get replaced your logic board for free. There is a thread already. you can start to search. Goodluck and welcome to philmug.cherio..

5. nydge

nydge Member

Oh my, this is giving me 2nd thoughts of getting brand new Macs. I have been using 2nd hand Macs and all three I owned didn't die on me, all of which are PPC models (I am currently using a PowerBook G4 400Mhz Titanium).

Is offering Apple Care a SOP for every Authorized Dealers?

6. welt

welt New Member

7. marty_e

marty_e Member

I spoke to Hubert about this once at length once. Since the video card is part of the logic board, there is a chance it can be replaced IF the nvidia chip is indeed the problem. They will run it through several diagnostics first to determine of it is the video or the board itself that will be replaced. I hope things work out and goodluck...

8. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

Sh*t happens. Let's hope it gets replaced due to the faulty Nvidia. We have the same model of MBP and I personally stress tested it for about 4 weeks playing games to make sure the Nvidia chip worked as it should.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah, the culprit is the 8600 nvidia gpu. It is not just a Mac specific issue, even other PC laptops that used this GPU were affected. Dont worry friend, Apple already acknoledge this defect and now offering mother board replacements for free.

10. jamsantos

jamsantos Member

I have the exact problem and it happened just 4 days ago. It's my early 2008 mbp 15" 2.4ghz which I bought online from US. I know sh*t happens but who the heck would've expected that innocently putting it to sleep would bring it to an eternal coma. :(

I've been trying all sorts of first aids/methods from several forums now but I hath without any luck.

Still I'm hopeful that I could miraculously revive my machine through the crude methods I've read about but I'm now convinced that it's the fauly NVIDIA Chipset. Will be praying that I could have the chipset replaced for free if it is indeed a known issue. I am now punishing thyself for not purchasing the extended apple care plan. :(

I'll be reading the suggested thread mentioned above and I wish for everyone who is in the same predicament walks off happy with our beloved machines.

11. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Again a good reason to always buy Applecare.

It's a rule I've lived by and served everyone I know well.

Leo

12. essay

essay Active Member

good luck to the TS. hope you'll be able to revive your MBP soon, with not much dent on your pocket.

Plus 1 on applecare.
    This has become automatic for me as soon as i bought a mac. (within 3 to 5 months.)

13. athos11

athos11 Member

Whoah, this is bad. I got MBP 13 2.26GHZ model still under warranty but I'm afraid this thing might happen to me as soon as the warranty expires.

got questions:
    1. can i still extend my warranty using an apple care?
    2. does anyone here encountered logic problem w/ the same model as mine?

my ibook's death was caused by this problem. i hope not to encounter it twice.

14. justinferreros

as long as it is in the 1-year warranty period you can register APP for it.

15. athos11

athos11 Member

totally agree.. but, whew!.. its expensive!

16. elbert

elbert Active Member

Actually, if you call AppleCare and ask nicely, they might just give you special consideration, being that your warranty just expired when the defect occurred. Good luck!

17. dep28

dep28 Active Member

had the same problem just this sunday. when i opened up my MBP (early 2008 model) to wake it up from sleep, I just got a blank screen. I'd press power and the sleep light would turn on but would be off as soon as i let go of the power button. holding the power button would only lead to the sleep light blinking rapidly but then turn off after a couple of seconds. i could even here the superdrive and HD going through the motions before shutting down again.

brought my unit to D-Hub last Monday and today, they confirmed that it is a logic board problem and they're just waiting for a replacement. also, further research on my end confirmed that my MBP was part of the batch with problematic logic boards.

just a question though, will the replacement logic board be the non-defective version?

18. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's a 'better'/newer version compatible for your MBP. Although it isn't free from being defective by wear and tear (hopefully not soon) it won't have the same defect as the board you had on your MBP.

19. dep28

dep28 Active Member

thanks mate! hopefully it serves me a good long time before deciding to go kaput *knocking on wood*

20. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

if it was the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor problem then the replacement will have the same defective gpu.. actually alot of laptop manufacturers were affected by this problem:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/31/figuring-out-which-nvidia-gpus-are-defective-its-a-lot/

my recommendation is after the logicboard has been replaced, sell it and upgrade to a newer macbook pro.