MBP and Static

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by patjavi, Nov 28, 2009.

1. patjavi

patjavi Member

Awhile ago in school when I was doing some work, I felt a static discharge when I touched the palmrest. It got really annoying cause it happened twice in an hour or something..

The situation:

- MBP plugged in wallsocket
    - No, I did not rub my feet in the carpet and then touch the macbook
    - It only happened today, at school. If im at work or at home, no static even when plugged in.

Im getting really paranoid. Im afraid to touch the macbook na tuloy haha. Does this thing happen to you guys? Did the static discharge hurt the insides of the macbook in any way (LED screen/HDD/RAM/Battery)? Why did this thing happen anyway and what if it happens again?

2. jared08evo

jared08evo Member

It's a normal thing and it happened to me a couple of times already. It really depends on the electrical outlet, if it's grounded or not.

3. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

so you mean the source of this is the current from the socket? i was also experiencing this while typing during class. i feel somewhat static on the sides of my trackpad.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Perhaps it is good to have some sort of portable voltage regulator?

5. patjavi

patjavi Member

@jared and soulspain - hmm..i agree. i read somewhere that it has something to do with grounding. but is this harmful to the laptop? if that's the case, then i wont be charging in school anymore hehe

upon searching, i read somewhere that the extension cord with the macbook will eliminate the static discharges since it will be properly grounded. im not sure though, i still have to give it a go. I hope someone can shed some light on " proper grounding and how it affects electronic devices"

6. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

are you pertaining to the extension cord that has 3 socket terminal usually used on an air condition unit?

7. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Proper grounding can only be attained if the socket your plugging in has the third hole (ground hole) and that the outlet grounding is truly attached to the metal plumbing or on real soil, usual household doesn't implement this since this adds additional cost due to the third wire, i just don't know if your school power sockets implements this. ;)

8. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

I found that Moshi's Palmgaurd also helps reduce the grounding. I'm using it right now. :)

9. patjavi

patjavi Member

Aha! the answer i've been looking for! thanks [email protected]! Im hoping it would just be that particular socket i plugged into..it looked dubious to begin with. If not, then the whole RCBC building may be ungrounded! :p

I have one last question though, is it safe to be charging under those conditions? No damage to the macbook whatsoever?

10. briareos

briareos Member

Yep that third hole is for grounding. But it isn't enough that the socket has the third hole and is properly earthed. Your plug has to have that third prong for the ground circuit to work. Our 'books don't have this. Not even the long cord.

11. primo1

primo1 Member

I also feel a slight static sometimes too especially when my bare feet touches the floor. I'd say it's pretty normal and not to mention I like the feeling of being jittered a bit. lol :)

I have been using an extension cord on my MBP ever since. I'd say it reduces it a BIT but doesn't eliminate it completely. :D

12. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

i think the best way to eliminate the static is to use voltage regulator, ups or plug it to sockets have the default 3 hole.

13. seabournlegend

i also use moshi palm guard, so i didn't experience any grounding...

14. voidnothings

voidnothings Member

Hey guys, when I connect my samsung lcd to my mbp using a mdp-dvi adapter it gets grounded and my mbp is rendered useless because of the spike. I ONLY experience this when connecting to the LCD. I wonder what's the culprit? Is it possible that the adapter is defective? (got it from a fellow mugger) or its my outlet? Thanks!

Hope someone could enlighten me. :(

#14 voidnothings, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  15. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

i'm not sure if this is the static that you guys are referring to, but when i move my hand across the top of my mbp, there seems to be a vibration similar to what people are saying in this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=561790.

this is also what i feel when i touch the case of my gf's powerbook. is this normal? will it not be harmful to the units in the long run? i'm not actually bothered by it since i dont really get a "shock" but i'm wondering the effect on the mbp...

16. staticblue

staticblue New Member

I also have this static vibration feeling with the MBP plugged directly into an AC outlet without a 3rd prong... but after I bought a surge protector (Panther brand with line filer at Ace Hardware) and used it on the same outlet, the static is still there but it was greatly reduced. Note that this surge protector also does not have a 3rd prong for grounding...

I haven't tried to plug the MBP to my Bada Line Conditioner though which I'm using with my HT, and is properly grounded with a 3rd prong outlet.

17. zirkwander

zirkwander Member

I'm also experiencing this since I got my MBP last Aug.6. Since I don't want to spend on any other accessories, what I do for a solution is the same of what I read in the MBP manual. It's on page 39 of the manual and to quote:

"3. Touch a metal surface inside the computer to discharge any static electricity from your body."

In my case, I just touch any metal that's near to me and eventually the static feel disappears. So that's basically what I do and find very effective and the cheapest solution.

18. voidnothings

voidnothings Member

Hmm i haven't tried that :) will see if it's going to solve tlmy problem. But still just the thought tlof getting electrified is annoying hehe

Another Q: if I bought an APC branded adapter with a third prong on it's sockets and just connect it to an ordinary outlet will it be properly grounded?

19. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

it depends if your outlet is grounded. you can check it (but be carefully or you can ask for electrician to do this), the outlet is grounded if it has three wires. the green one is the ground ( and i assumed that the electrical contractor follows color coded)

20. kakerue

kakerue Member

I also experience this vibration feel but not on my mbp but rather on the bezel of my iPhone 2G while it's being charged.

I haven't experienced any static issue on my mbp even though i do get a lot of shock, due to static electricity, from many different places - office, mrt, etc.

I think the minor shock we experience on our macs is due to our charged fingers rather than the grounding of sockets. If our macs are really "grounded" then it would definitely have an effect on the electronics inside.