MBP 8600GT replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Icedcene, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Icedcene

Icedcene Member

hi guys,
    my Mbp video card just died out 2 days ago while im here in the province for the holidays. since theres no mac service center here i just wanna ask, when my logic board and vid card gets replaced will it still be the same model? or a newer or "fixed" version?

thanks philmug :)

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

You should get the exactly the same model.

3. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

you get the same faulty gpu model...

4. Icedcene

Icedcene Member

the same faulty one? what if dies out again? any ideas on their policies on this one? so apple really hasn't solved the issue on the 8600gt's? :(

5. kenok

kenok Member

6. Icedcene

Icedcene Member

thanks ken, yeah i've read this na, but the question remains... will the replacement still be the same defective 8600gt? or to those nalang who've experienced the 8600 meltdown... how are the new parts going so far?

7. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

I've read previous statements from Apple that there's just a big batch of 8600gt's that are defective.. the chipset in general, shouldn't be generalized as defective that's why they have been replacing the vidcard with a new batch.. :)

8. Icedcene

Icedcene Member

oh ok got it, thanks jay :)

9. moliro

moliro Member

may way ba para ma identify ung defective batch sa good batch? im planning to buy a 2nd 15" mbp with nvidia 8600... wala na din kasing applecare ung binebenta sakin...

10. Icedcene

Icedcene Member

as far as i have experienced on mine, the video card sometimes freezes or goes inactive, esp sa when im using windows, bigla nalang mag error then theres a message that says "the nvidia card just stopped running blah blah..."

11. travism

travism Active Member

I had mine replaced... so far, ok naman! I got mine replaced as part of the recall! According to Apple, if you unit is part of the recall, as long as it's within 3 years of the purchase than you can send it in!

12. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

well based on what i've read around online, there's no bad batch because the whole 8xxx line is affected (yes even your replacement, its just a matter of time until it breaks down again):

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/31/figuring-out-which-nvidia-gpus-are-defective-its-a-lot/

the only permanent solution that nvidia suggested is to upgrade to their newer 9xxx series gpus which you can't do unless you upgrade your whole unit.

13. Icedcene

Icedcene Member

really? so whats their policy on that one? does it still have the same 3 year replacement warranty?

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

the only policy that covers your mac is what apple offers, nvidia will not replace your defective gpu.

my recommendation is after apple repairs your macbook pro, better sell it off and upgrade to a new mac.