MBP 13'' won't start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by beaj, Nov 28, 2009.

1. beaj

beaj New Member

Hi! My MBP 13's hard drive broke a month after I got it last June. I had to wait for almost a month until I got a replacement and lost all of my files.

I was doing the usual internet surfing today when the screen froze. I decided to restart it and when I did, it wouldn't go past the loading screen with the Apple logo (this happened the first time it broke down). What should I do? HELP :(

Am I doing anything wrong with my laptop? I sometimes leave it on overnight to finish downloading some stuff. Other than that, I just do the usual internet surfing.

2. joseph_camela

joseph_camela Active Member

I believe you have to bring it back to any Apple reseller in the country.

3. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

Maybe a defective hard drive. Or sometimes, uncertain application content corrupt the OS X.

4. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Leaving your mac on overnight to download stuff should not create any problem, a lot of people do that. Better bring your mac back to the service center, you might have gotten a defective hard drive (a lemon most probably).

You can also try to restart on safe mode and if you are successful run disk utilities and verify/repair disk and verify/repair permissions.

I had a problem once with my macbook: Whenever I restart or turn it on it would not go past the loading screen and apple logo then instructs me to restart again. I replaced one of the rams and it never occurred again.

But then again, the best option is to bring it back to the service center. If you had your hard drive for only a month then it still is covered by a warranty.

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If you have an external hdd you can rule out your built in hdd by installing OS X on the external drive. Boot from that by pressing option key and selecting the external drive. Use that external drive and observe performance for a few days. If symptoms disappear, it is most likely your builin drive. If problem persists then it has to be elsewhere (example- bad ram, efi).

6. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

if your not that techie of a guy as mad mac had suggested, the best thing that could do is bring this unit to the service center again, they might be able to immediately recover the files and help you out on this since its still under warranty and just got out from the service center... good luck!

7. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

is there some beeping sound? better bring it back to Apple Service.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Hard Disk are usually the first things to fail in a computer, especially in portables. Its not your fault, you just got a lemon. Many Philmuggers here almost never turn off their Macs and computers today are made to be constantly on until the day they die.

Since it is a 13 Macbook pro its definitely under warranty and they will replace your hard disk if that is the part that is broken. Another reason for your freeze would be a faulty RAM which wil be replaced by Apple as well, as long as it is the RAM that originally came with your MBP. Did you back up your files? With time machine is really easy. All you need is an external Hard Disk with USB/Firewire.

#8 Salaryman Ryan, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  9. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

+1

i never turn off my mac for straight a week. sometimes i shut off it when i don't use it. also, i find this method to be useful when in testing my rams. :cool: