MBP 13 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by lionheart, Nov 13, 2009.

1. lionheart

lionheart Member

I turned on my MBP today and i heard this low pitched fan like noise from the left part of my system. It's weird cause my laptop never makes a sound (except for the ones coming out of the speakers of course). The fan speed is only 2000-2005rpm but it's making noises. Any advice? :(
    I think I got a lemon >_<

2. lionheart

lionheart Member

UPDATE: at 4620rpm, it;s very very loud. :( Firs tthe battery now this >_<

3. hendrickchan

hendrickchan Member

actually, i dont think its a lemon, coz i got battery and fan issues as well. i think its pretty common. tsk tsk tsk, and i thought their hardware was supposed to be of better quality.

4. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

At least with some water and ice, you can make yourself a lemonade...

Seriously, have it checked at a service center. All products have their share of lemons.

5. silverfox

silverfox Member

Have it checked at any authorized service center: I had the same problem before with one of my older macbooks. Good thing I had applecare, they fixed the defective fan at no extra cost.

6. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

bring it to the service center, thats the best thing to do for this, no macgyver stuff for precious macs...

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I agree. No sense posting when the real solution is in the shop.

Most likely the fan is dirty. Having the internals cleaned will also help cooling. Dorty internals will lead to excessive heat. Heat damages batteries. The two problems may be related. Of course, if you have a battery nearing 2 years of age, they would be going south by now too. By industry definition, a battery that only has 80% of its new rated capacity is worn.

8. irisgodd3ss

irisgodd3ss Member

I just started having the same problem. I usually run a software for work on VMWare Fusion, often overnight (yes, I work while I sleep), and it's usually okay. This morning, I woke up to a seriously disturbing loud noise from my MBP. I quit VMWare Fusion, shut down, and went out for a while. I just rebooted the system now, and while I'm only running a few programs for surfing (no VMWare), the fan is NOISY! I'm seriously freaking out now.

Checking fan control, my fan's base speed is at 3000 rpm (I increased it a while back cz of the heat when running VMWare Fusion), but the left fan shows that it's running at an average of 3700 rpm. Is that normal?

For the most part, though, it is working just fine. I did upgrade to a 4GB RAM a couple of weeks back, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. Would you suggest I have this looked over? Also, would this be something covered by the initial 1-year warranty, or will I need AppleCare to get it serviced?

Thanks so much for your help.

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Your Mac's internals are probably dusty. These are the primary cause of noise. Your machine is sucking dust 24/7. You can use a powerful vacuum cleaner with a narrow tip to suck some dirt off the events. best thing to do is have it serviced at an authorized repair center.

10. irisgodd3ss

irisgodd3ss Member

Thanks, Mad Mac! :D

Do you know if this is covered by the warranty, or will I get charged for this? Just want to make sure I don't get conned by some overzealous rep. I don't have AppleCare yet, but it's still under warranty. :slanted:

11. ste@lth

these are covered by the warranty, specially if your unit is still under a year old or you bought apple care...

12. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If the problem presents itself to tge technician then it should be covered by warranty. I'd hide the 24/7 bit so it will not be taken against you.

13. ste@lth

+1 to this, it might be misunderstood as an abuse to the unit... thus nullifying the warranty... ;)

14. teamjm

teamjm Well-Known Member

Hi been using a pre-owned macbook Black for about a month now. i noticed that everytime i use it for more than an hour. the fan gets noisy and heats up alot. is this normal?

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Do you hear a normal fan sound of does than fan sound broken? Heat depends on what you are doing. Actually, simply opening a webpage with some flash content sends the fan spinning. Using Windows sends the fan spinning all the time.

The Mac is best used on a smooth flat table. Using it on the bed or thick clothing isn't good for it. I use my Mac on an elevated platform I made. Avoid using keyboard covers. These block heat escaping from the keyboard. While it is not a vent, it is a heat exchange area indicated by black soot forming around some keys.

Keep your surrounding area clean and dust free. Dust gets sucked into the Mac and clog the fan. It is a good idea to have your internals cleaned if you have an old Mac. Dust build up prevents proper heat exchange.

Finally, heat is part of a hard working Mac. It is not necessarily bad. The fan is not an indicator of overheating. It kicks in to prevent overheating.

16. tenententen

tenententen Guest

How much are the repairs for problems of this kind? My warranty's useless already, and I'm at my wit's end trying to endure the whiny noise that's coming out from my MacBook. Thanks!

17. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

The best thing is to bring your mac to a service center asap so you can stop worrying. Find out first what's wrong.

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Remember to always buy AppleCare especially for portables. It will save you on repairs and give you peace of mind in the long run. :)

19. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

I have been experiencing Fan Noise on my MBP (first generation), but I have to confirm that because as much as possible, I wouldn't want to take it to the Apple Center as I need this Mac for work. Can anyone please help me in identifying this and whether this is a fan problem? If so, is mark_17 the best person to go to for an easy replacement?

12_9_10 7_23 PM.mp3 - 0.10MB