Maxed out MBP 13" 2013 or rMBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcsantamarina, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Update:

Phase 2 COMPLETE!

I recently was able to source out a Plextor M5 Pro, upgraded to 1.03 Xtreme FW.
    Getting 400++ MB/s Read/Write Performance.

Although the Samsung 840 Pro Series is the best SSD on paper out in the market right now, I took the following things into consideration:
    - Availability locally (It was really hard to source out for one and this would lead to my next concern-->)
    - Local Support (If anything would happen, I would have a harder time to get a replacement SSD)

Phase 3 for the project is this weekend:
    - Remove Optical Drive and install my previous Momentus XT 500GB
    - Insert Optical Drive into the Optical Drive Enclosure

*Note on 16GB RAM Upgrade*
    While monitoring through "Activity Monitor" I usually have 3.5-4GB RAM free during my normal workload. So until the next OS demands bigger RAM allocation for optimization, I can wait till then.

Thanks again for all the input!
    Current performance benefits I have experienced:
    1- Possible longer battery life (But I'll update this when I move in the other HDD)
    2- Quieter operation with SSD.
    3- Faaaaast loading of apps, boot time and shutdown. Safari even runs smoother and web pages load quicker.
    4- Lower operating temperature, I'm currently averaging below 40C compared to 45C up before.

By the way, here are my Chameleon SSD Optimizer Settings:
    TRIM - ON
    Sudden Motion Sensor - OFF
    Disable Local TM - ON
    Disable Time MACHINE - OFF (Using my old WD Passport 320GB for Backup)
    NOA Time - ON (This lessens the I/O and thus lessening the number of writes done on the HDD such as updating files when they were last read, instead of when they were last modified.)
    Sleep Mode - A (Make sure if you use this setting you don't lose power, but this also saves HDD Writes when putting the machine to sleep)

2. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Hi jc. Can you pm me your plextor supplier? Tia

3. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

@duncan, it's PCHub in Gilmore. I mentioned it in previous post.

4. erwingle

erwingle Member

Hi. I'm in cebu. I would like to ask on how you removed your optical drive and replaced it with an existing hdd? I've been looking for ways to do it here in cebu but stores around doesn't know how to do it. Maybe you can recommend the shop where you bought or had it done. Thanks

5. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

DIY is how I did it.

Order the 2nd HDD caddy from max168 in the Marketplace or you can find him on Sulit.

Then go to iFixit.com and look for your MacBook Pro model, then look for instructions on how to replace an optical drive. But instead of replacing an optical drive with another one, you follow the same instructions using the 2nd HDD caddy.

If you don't like DIY, Ynzal can help you but, you have to coordinate with them if they have a branch in Cebu.

6. nouvomx

nouvomx Member

I apologize for the late reply, I wasn't able to track this.

First let me just rephrase that last statement. It uses the same controller. So it only boils down on the use of different memory silicon. But its practically the same.

So in short, yes I am sure. I remember several forums and articles where there but the only one I trust when it comes to SSD is Anand from Anandtech. Here's a quote from his site.

see link here

7. nouvomx

nouvomx Member

@jcsantamarina - Another option is instead of adding a Momentus XT 500GB. Get a 2nd SSD, and raid-0 them. You'll get around 800mb/sec to 1000mb/sec for both read and write. Which is the fastest you can get on a 6gbps SATA controller.

For your HDD / space needs, Just get a fast external Thunderbolt drive.

8. erwingle

erwingle Member

How about the enclosure of your optical drive? What did you use?

9. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

@nouvomx:
    haha.. Sure, why not..
    ..oh wait.. Ubos na budget! (translate = no more budget!) :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion though, bu I have no need yet for that. My Momentus XT was my original HDD from my previous MBP, so it cost me nothing to use it as the second HDD.

Right now, my music and photos are on the Momentus and I also use that drive for Audacity scratch drive (which is an app I use often), to lessen the random read/write on my SSD.

So far, so good.. Very good!

16GB RAM maybe during the next OSX update.
    SSD Upgrade, unlikely coz I may get the next gen MBP for personal use instead.

10. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Got it from him as well, but stocks are still unavailable. I'll be getting mine in 2-3weeks pa. Got a sata cable from him that works like the enclosure as well, without the protection though, but it'll do for the meantime.

11. erwingle

erwingle Member

Thanks for these. God bless

12. erwingle

erwingle Member

By the way, after removing the optical drive and replacing it with ur 2nd hdd, is there a configuration needed to be recognized by the system?

13. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Well, the wonderful MacOSX configured it automatically. It took a little while longer to boot up the first time, but after that, I'm back to Zoom speed. (",)

Let us know how it works out for you as well.

Btw, CDR-King has a set of tools that cost just about a P100 and has all the screws needed to do the DIY job.

14. erwingle

erwingle Member

Hi sir. Madmax doesn't have the stock as of now. I saw one here in cebu but when i tried it, the case is bigger that won't close the back cover. Returning it tomorrow. What is the name of that cdr kit you mentioned sir?

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I did recall that in the anandtech review of the very first MacBook Pro retina that the Samsung flash memory module uses the same controller as the 830 or something to that effect. This is why many assume that the rMBP Samsung SSD is a 830.

16. nouvomx

nouvomx Member

yes I replied with a link citing that very article on page 3, it is indeed using the exact controller of PM830 controller (the OEM version of what's used in the Samsung SSD 830). I believe Apple gets their NANDs from Samsung as well.

17. Mitchoi

Mitchoi Member

I went to BTB planning to get the 13" as well, but the MD104 was avaialble so I got it instead.

I also have an Intel 330 SSD on my desktop pc which I am planning use on the new Macbook until I get a higher-capacity one. With this as my first Apple product, I don't know how to install the Mac OS and I didn't have any disc with it. Do I just download the OS from the website and install it on the device?

Sorry for the OT question.

Thanks!

18. jamaring

jamaring Member

Sir, after upgrading the HDD with SSD and removing the optical drive. Because I'm still new to Mac I don't know if if Apple still honor the warranty. I need also to replace the HHD if get my MD 101. TIA.

19. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Sir, what is your question? TIA!

20. ritzandrico

ritzandrico Member

@jcsantamaria
    Sir, the technical terms are all foreign to me but I understand the purpose of the upgrades. I am choosing between a 13"MBP and 15" MBP and use it for Logos 5 - a bible study application. Can you tell from the system requirements below that if the upgrades you did will be necessary? Thanks in advance! Apologies if I'm straying from the topic.
    [h=6]Mac - Recommended[/h]
    • OS X "Mountain Lion" 10.8
    • Intel i5 Processor
    • 6GB+ RAM
    • DVD-ROM drive (only required for non-downloadable items)
    • 1280X1024 display
    • 1GB+ Video Card
    • 30GB Free Space - Internal HDD/SSD Only
      (May require additional space depending on your library)
    • Broadband internet connection