Manila Concerts 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by rbenzon, Sep 21, 2012.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

While Pinoys knew when to sing, they didn't always know when to clap. Tempo-clapping to a ballad like Fields of Gold is so duh.

I don't bother taking videos; they detract from my experience, plus there will always be better ones. Besides, camera audio's always crappy. What I do have--for every concert I attend, in fact--are bootleg recordings, using my Zoom H4n. So what I sometimes do is download the best user video from YouTube, then replace the audio with mine. :) No good uploads on YouTube yet though.

Yesterday, while the world watched the Pacquiao-Marquez war, I was at peace, internalizing Sting before the evening's main event.

[video=youtube;l2_J8aBeC-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2_J8aBeC-k[/video]

It ain't Dominic Miller--or Mike Villegas who was arguably better than Miller--but covering Sting's off my bucket list. Or so I thought. Now, a few more just got added. :D

Vinnie Colaiuta was here in Sting's previous concert, but he didn't play I Hung My Head then, which mesmerized me. 9/8 time signature with syncopated upbeats on 3 and 8? Awesome.

And that jazzy interlude before Roxanne was a teaser; it had the Roxanne chords!

Trivia! Sting used one lyrical verse in two of the songs in this concert. State the lyrics and name those tunes! :)

2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

"Do I have to tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met" in Every Little Thing She Does is Magic and the outro of Seven Days.

Boom.

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Well done, coqueiro. But no iPad Mini for you. :p

4. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

^LUTO! LUTO! :)

Last night's set list:
    [​IMG]

5. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sting didn't sing it in his concert, but doesn't "O My God" also have the same lyrics?

6. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^^Yup. O My God's chorus even has the Beatles' Day Tripper bass line. ;)

^Pinoys make the best audience because of circumstance: The English speaking world know the lyrics, but they don't do karaoke. :D The karaoke world loves singing along, but they don't speak English.

We've got it *covered*. :D

8. totolabradog

totolabradog Moderator
    Staff Member

Laugh trip! Pinoy na pinoy ang "The Sting Band" from Miller's tweet

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I liked Peter Tickell's tweet. He alluded to Thrilla in Manila, and then "Ali Boombayay"--which was actually in Zaire. :D More correctly, it's "Ali, bumaye!" which means "Ali, kill him".

How could Peter have confused us for Africans, when the front rows were filled with conyos?! :p

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I wonder if I should share my bootleg recording, in the hopes that downloaders will donate to the victims of Typhoon Pablo. I can insert an audio plea at the beginning. But is it worth the risk of copyright infringement? Hmmm... :)

11. courtside3

Looks like there will be another major concert before the year ends. Ovation and That's Entertainment are bringing in Psy for a performance at the MoA concert grounds on December 20.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^I asked my son what he wanted for Christmas. I was expecting "iPad Mini", but he said "Psy". Sigh.

But then, that means I now get to keep the iPad Mini. :D

13. courtside3

^Haha! That's good, right? :)

Re: the Psy concert, I wonder how he can keep the interest of the audience from start to finish. He may have released six albums to date, but how many songs of his apart from "Gangnam Style" are recognizable to Filipinos?

14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I may actually prefer unfamiliar songs, which might be better than the fillers they hired--Anne Curtis, Pokwang, et al. But hey, what parents must endure for their kids, and an iPad Mini. :D

15. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I'll only consider watching Psy live if MC Hammer does a cameo and mash up "Gangnam Style" with "2Legit2Quit" just like they did in the AMA.

I miss Hammer Time!!

On to 2013, any truth to the grapevine that Paramore are doing a show here?

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Mike, it's on Paramore's and SM Tickets' websites. Feb 15.

17. Mykolant

^Thanks, Roland. Yeah, I checked out the SM website as well as Manila Concert Scene.

My kids wanna watch it, haay...

Unlike you, I don't have a mini-iPad as consuelo...:p

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^mike, if you don't take your kids, you'll have to live with the stigma of being the dad with sub-par amore. :p

19. Mykolant

Hehe!! I'm just really happy that my kids love rock music more than the cheesy Glee and Bieber crap out there. I think Paramore is already verging on the pop side of rock but still a great hear.

I guess I'll have to take them this time to make up for missing out on Avril Lavigne early this year.

20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i just spent a couple of hours learning the basic drum pattern of seven days, easily my (and coqueiro's?) favorite song from the back to bass setlist.

i may have to retire first to have enough time to learn the rest of vinnie colaiuta's drumming of this song. still awed, although he has plenty of other videos on youtube that are just beyond reach.

found this "live recording" (probably a tour practice session) of the ten summoner's tales album, my favorite sting album to date. seven days start at 23:04. thanks to pldt fibr, my youtube videos don't need to buffer-stutter anymore! :)

[video=youtube;KkLiFuRivzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLiFuRivzY&feature=youtu.be&t=23m04s[/video]

at least my holiday LSS isn't coming off a christmas tree! :p

here's to a music-filled 2013! mine will be epic. :)