Manila Concerts 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by rbenzon, Sep 21, 2012.

1. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually, sponsors serve a purpose. Given the considerable cost of bringing in foreign acts, producers are compelled to tap patrons, often corporate in nature, in exchange for collaterals and below-the-line exposure in the runup to -- and during -- the shows. As part of the arrangement, these sponsors and patrons are likewise given tickets to premium sections, the value of which are invariably just a fraction of the aggregate amount of their pledges.

Without the involvement of these sponsors, there would, admittedly, be more prime real estate available to end consumers. However, the cost of these seats would most definitely be much, much higher as producers would have no other avenue from which to recoup their outlays.

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^no one called for the elimination of patrons and sponsors; we all know they serve a purpose. what others have articulated is the regulation of complimentary tickets, the misrepresentation of *sold out*, and the arbitrary shifting of seating, particularly for premium-paid seats.

we have to be thankful to sponsors, in fact. because there's no way i would approve p50 million (some sponsorships cost that much, even more) to sponsor a concert no matter how big the company is. that's just p*nis envy. :D

3. courtside3

^Understood. I simply wanted to point out that sponsors likewise effectively pay for the tickets allotted to them. And, as you noted, the cost to them is actually far more, even reaching ridiculous proportions.

If these sponsors are to be taken to task, it is, perhaps, in their sometimes injudicious use or redistribution of the tickets. At the recent Tears For Fears concerts, for instance, there were empty seats in front, allocated for sponsors or sponsors' representatives who, for whatever reason, opted not to show up, to the chagrin of fans who paid for seats farther away from the stage.

Meanwhile, there are the real moochers who insinuate their way inside concert venues on the strength of their influence or connections, who refuse to shell out a single centavo for entry and yet deem themselves entitled to the good seats.

4. courtside3

Update on ticket availability for Sting's concert via SM Tickets:

VIP A - all 360 already sold
    VIP B - 20 of 684 left
    Patron - 395 of 1150 left
    Lower Box A - 15 of 1204 left
    Lower Box B - 176 of 2150 left
    Upper Box - 682 of 2258 left
    general Admission - 2130 of 2702 left

5. keilu

keilu Member

since we'll be watching Sting on the Gen Admin tickets...no rush to get em yet if there are still more than 2k seats available :)

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

7. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

^ SM MoA's statement (from Rappler):

Sting will not perform at Mall of Asia

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Don't you just love legalese? Yeah, sure, the legal entities may be different. But let's not kid ourselves; the *root* of the problem's the same. :)

I watched Sting in Madison Square Garden in the early 90's, when he teamed up with Billy Joel and Don Henley for benefit of the Walden Ponds. So he's been an environmental advocate for over 20 years.

Gotta love it when a bassist gets to the bottom of things. ;)

9. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

interesting is their choice of words 'corporate giant.'

time to call ovation for a refund..

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^i wonder how ovation will map MOA seats onto araneta.

if they can't, it'll be a standing ovation. :D

11. REDcrazy

REDcrazy Well-Known Member

Finally dared to go solo-flight on a concert when I bought my Sting ticket a couple of weeks ago but it seems this won't push through. Either that or they'll have to refund and then re-market these tickets since as rbenzon said, the seats the ticket holders chose at MOA's seating charts just won't match with the layout at Araneta.

12. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

Just got my tickets... And now this... I just hope it will be a hassle free refund... And i hope i can still get tickets for good seats at the new venue... =(

13. courtside3

Sting's official website has confirmed that the concert will push through, still on December 9, at the Araneta Coliseum (as rbenzon noted earlier).

The announcement also enunciates the process for ticket exchanges/refunds beginning October 25. This link provides more information. Needless to say, the earlier tickets are exchanged, the better for holders.

Interestingly, there is no mention yet of the concert's change in venue at the website of either Ovation or SM Tickets.

14. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

Bet this thread is also for local concerts as well so I'm going to share Ely's concert at the Music Museum on November 17. I might watch this event, since its been a while I've watched Ely play. He's also going to play with a 15-piece orchestra.

Here's a stretched out poster I saw on philippineconcerts.com

[​IMG]

15. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

a friend of mine tried refunding his Sting tickets and here's what he posted on his FB:

let's hope that SM fixes this thing soon.

16. topaz

topaz Active Member

Ticket replacement for the Sting concert will be from Nov. 10 to 20 from 9am to 6pm. This is according to Ticketnet people at Araneta box-office when I attempted to have my tickets replaced this afternoon.

17. chizbol

chizbol Member

Had my unredeemed (voucher lang) exchanged at MOA Arena last monday. Binigay na yung araneta ticks.

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

wait, so it's now a one-step process, instead of claim ticket at MOA then exchange at araneta? that'll be better. but i guess i'll find out tomorrow when i claim mine at MOA.

19. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

That's what I was told too by MOA. Present your voucher, along with original credit card used to purchase the ticket online with ID and you get the Araneta ticket.

20. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

I exchanged my voucher at sm MOA arena today and was given pre-assigned seats for the araneta coliseum. Apparently when you exchange, you can't choose your seats.