Maleficent

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by lamski, May 29, 2014.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

If you love Disney movies, you will love this movie. The cast was perfect. The cinematography and production is top-notch. The story/script follows the "Wicked" formula and pulls it off superbly.

It's G-rated so you can bring your kids.

2. Jim E.

Jim E. Member

I watched this yesterday. I actually fell asleep, right around the part where Angelina [SPOILERS AHEAD DO NOT PROCEED] rode his raven horse and dragged the prince back to the palace, true love's kiss [/SPOILER]. Now, maybe I was just real tired (woke up later though). In fairness to the movie, it was very well made indeed. [SPOILERS AHEAD DO NOT PROCEED] The CGI works on Maleficent flying in the clouds then looking at the sun above everything else [/SPOILER] reminded me of the Superman movie a few years ago, where Clark rose up towards the Sun and gathered energy.

CGI aside, I think Jolie, the raven guy, and the blonde teenager were the only ones to successfully pull off this movie. The first king and the second king looked and acted weak. The movie's hype I think is to be purely credited to Jolie's magic. Maleficent's marketing was purely Jolie's face after all. I also loved Jolie's snarky comments towards her former lover's daughter, i.e. beastie, the little beast.

Maleficent is a re-telling of a child's tale, complete with its fun moments, drama, and tragedy, in which the villain is not such a villain after all. It's a good watch. Personally it's a 7.5/10.

3. silverfox

silverfox Member

Was not a fan of Lana del Rey until I heard her cover of "Once Upon A Dream" during the credits. Hauntingly beautiful! She definitely hit the nail on the head in setting the mood for the movie.

4. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

Angelina Jolie killed it with this performance! Loved it, loved it, loved it! Maleficent is my favourite Disney villain and she totally did the character, justice.

My favourite line of hers can be seen in the trailers, when she first comes in to the castle. "Well, well." Then that lovely evil smile. Galing. She was born for this role, me thinks.

5. silverfox

silverfox Member

Agree! Her performance in this film was just delicious!

6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Lousy story, great actress.

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....what?! No fairytale canon vs. adaptation debate in this thread? I'm disappointed. Lol! I loved the film. Perfect for snoring......zzzzzzzzzz.....on the other hand, the kids will love it. Impossible cheekbones on Ms. Jolie. As for her bosom, di ba nag double mastectomy siya?

#7 raypin, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. JLC_02

JLC_02 Member

Allograft maybe.

9. NiX88

NiX88 Active Member

I honestly didn't like it that much. Angelina Jolie was really great, the visuals were great. But the characterizations felt really unrealistic? Yes, it's a fairy tale, but I can only suspend my disbelief so much. My gf really loved it though.

I know that what happened to Maleficent was absolutely detestable, but the complete 180 of her personality still felt too sudden and almost out of character from what we were shown at the start. But sure, Aurora softens her up again. Speaking of which, my bigger "huh" was with Aurora who threw a tantrum upon the revelation but just as suddenly forgot about it when she woke up. And after all of it it's as if she didn't even have any conflicting feelings about her father and maleficent and how she's just collateral damage. Or is it because she was gifted with goodness by one of the fairies?

Anyway, it's a kid's movie.

How the prince was dragged around like a tool was funny, though. And the Pitt kid was super cute.

10. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

Seen this film awhile ago with my lady. Two words: Wickedly great!

11. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Disney is surely changing the definition of true love's kiss with Frozen and this one. Hmm, I wonder how they'll redo the Princess and the Frog/ Frog Prince? :p

12. micvindelmer

micvindelmer Member

Maleficent (2/5). You should watch it to probe if Angelina's magnificent facial bone structure is CGI or prosthetics. LOL. It's a conglomeration of clichéd bits and pieces from earlier films that worked and Angelina Jolie-Pitt single-handedly carried the film. Okay, plus maybe her uber cute little baby.

How does MTRCB rate movies again? I want to see the criteria 'cause this one's pretty violent for a "G".

13. boobtubefreak

boobtubefreak Active Member

it's G- rated

14. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

If not for wife, i'd skip this one. But as a loving husband as i am, i accompanied her. :)

That taray-funny-bidang-contrabida character of Angelina Jolie is effective. Her tag-line "little-beasty" is cute. :p I also see Elle Fanning to be a star because of this one. I have to agree with others though that acting of the cast are good but i find the storyline boring. It just the phasing or transition is not smooth.

Well.. Well.. Effects are awesome and entertaining but still 7/10 rating for me.

By the way, we were forced to watch this on 3D because regular cinemas were full. Di sulit.

15. mochaholic

mochaholic Member

Kids love the film... What's good is you wont know what will happen next...

16. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Reminded me too much of Wicked's storyline and that's probably why I didn't really enjoy it. And true love's kiss? Again? Really?

17. nethrow

nethrow Active Member

SPOILER ALERT.

Yeah, I kinda wanted the true love's kiss to be the crow guy. I mean, the camera stayed with him when the prince's kiss didn't work and Maleficent walked over to Sleeping Beauty. So I really thought it was going to be him.

18. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here. I was expecting it to be him. But I'm not complaining.

Watched it on 3D because 4DX was already sold out 3-4 days before Saturday :p Will prolly watch it again in 4DX ;)

19. Ina

Ina Member

I am a Disney fan and I absolutely loved the movie! Watching it on 4DX made it more fun. :)

20. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Great film overall. I would recommend it to everybody.