Making iSync work with unsupported Nokia phones?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Tsarli, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Tsarli

Tsarli Member

Anyone tried tweaking their iSync to make it work with unsupported phones (Nokia, etc.)?

Found this tweak on the Apple Support forums but haven't tried it yet (mamaya pa ako bibili ng bagong telepono).

Why do it you ask? A lot of the currently compatible phones are expensive, e awan ti kuwarta... Dun ako sa pasok sa budget. ;)

2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

there's an isync plug-in for such phones (the e61i, for example). look around the nokia site or just do a google search.

3. Fidel

Fidel Member

Thanks for the link Tsarli, haha, I took the risk and my Nokia 6300 synced with my Mac. Contacts and Calendar entries are all in.

4. mikeyquema

mikeyquema Member

Been scouring the web and forums for a fix for this, but based on my research:

The Apple iSync main site offers the additional plug-ins you will need for some of the phones, and even Nokia launched an iSync plug-in section on their European site.

But for older, non Apple and Nokia released plug-ins; you may have to opt for 3rd party applications like OnSync.

5. Tsarli

Tsarli Member

Update: Using that technique, I managed to make iSync work these three unsupported phones.
    1) Nokia 3500
    2) Nokia 3110 Classic
    3) Sony Ericsson K510i
    Note: for the Sony Ericsson, you'll have to go to the Sony Ericsson K610 folder and edit its MetaClasses.plist. Search and replace K610 with K510.

Phones priced below P7,000 (Jan 08). Hindi na kailangang butasin ang bulsa and shell out serious $$$ to enjoy iSync/Mac connectivity with a mobile phone! :)

If its really this simple, why doesn't Apple offer an iSync update and make it official? Are they uninterested or just plain lazy?!

#5 Tsarli, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. mikeyquema

mikeyquema Member

Apple will always be loyal to its own products, like any company. Which is why iPods can only be synced with iTunes, why OS X will only work on Apple hardware, etc.

Besides, it's not Apple's fault really. They try their best to make it compatible but manufacturers like Nokia do not share their system coding with Apple. Notice there isn't a Nokia PC Suite for Mac OS?

iSync was initially intended for Apple products. Because Apple imagines it's users to have an iMac Desktop, MacBook (PRO) Laptop, iPod Music Player, iPhone Cellphone, Apple TV Entertainment System, using programs like iSync and iTunes and iLife, all being linked together over an Airport Extreme Wireless LAN.

7. Tsarli

Tsarli Member

Actually, there are Wintel, Linux and even OS X alternatives to iTunes, a lot of them. Oh and by the way, you can install OS X on a Wintel PC. Check it out here and here.

They try "their best"? Ibig mong sabihin, Apple's "best" ay dinaig pa ng isang medical student from Córdoba, Argentina? Nantokwa naman Apple! Gising! Maaring wala ngang Nokia PC Suite for OS X, pero meron namang ganito ang Nokia. Hindi. Tingin ko katamaran lang yan ng Apple.

That's what Apple imagines? Aba'y mangungulelat nga Macintosh. It's integration with other systems that'll help you gain market share. Not exclusivity or snobbery.

8. iPao

iPao Member

Great news for me! My 3110 Classic refused to sync with my mac out of the box. I'll be trying this later. Thanks for the tips and feedback!

9. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I have used this technique and iSync now recognizes my Nokia 3500 but it doesn't sync the addresses. I want to download the contacts in the phone to my laptop. Any ideas? Did I change the plist incorrectly? Does it not sync the contacts? Should I just get the plug-in?

10. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I figured it out. The contacts on the phone were on the SIM card. After copying them to the phone's memory, they were synced with -- in this case downloaded to -- my laptop.

Thanks for the great suggestion by the way.