Major Snow Leopard bug? -- Guest account and data loss.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by PatrickGaerlan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's an excerpt from the TUAW.com article -- Bug tracker: Snow Leopard guest accounts eating files?

I tried it myself (I had the Guest account enabled before upgrading to SL), but I didn't encounter the bug. I have to admit, even though I made sure that Time Machine had just completed a backup, it was still pretty unnerving when I logged back in to my regular account after using the Guest account.

2. suplada80

suplada80 New Member

Re: Major Snow Leopard bug?

Hi,

I just upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard yesterday (Monday) and so far I encountered the blue screen four times while using Photoshop. It's annoying and scary at the same time. It's like windows all over again! lol

I'd like to ask if it's safe to reinstall Leopard while Apple's fixing the bug? Any precautions?

3. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Is Photoshop the only app that's causing problems for you? Which version do you have?

4. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Yes its safe to install Leopard. It would be a clean install or if you had a back up of your Leopard, you can restore via Time Machine.

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

PhotoShop in CS3 has not been tested at all by Adobe for Snow Leopard. Adobe guarantees PhotoShop in CS4 will work with SL.

There have also been reports of problems with CS4 and SL - at this time, it's difficult to pinpoint which one is at fault - the app or the host OS.

See here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/snow-leopard-kinks-photoshop-cs4-cursor-bug/15561
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/02/photoshop-cs3-and-cs4-snow-leopard-bugs-under-investigation/
    http://www.macworld.com/article/142449/2009/08/nack.html

Back to your original article, Patrick - man, that is scary! I guess I should disable Guest Account in System Preferences (allow them to access shared folders only) until this issue is fixed.

6. juanlun

juanlun New Member

7. juanlun

juanlun New Member

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

9. suplada80

suplada80 New Member

Hi Patrick,

I'm using a Photoshop CS version. Could that be it?

10. suplada80

suplada80 New Member

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the languages, clean install means reformatting/ deleting all my files? My problem with my Time Machine is, I haven't updates it in weeks. :(

I have my Leopard cd that comes with my macbook though. Can I just use that instead?

11. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

CS3 or CS4?

Yes, clean install means reformatting/deleting your files.

And you really should have your external always connected as much as possible and let Time Machine run on its own automatically. If (knock on wood) you have a hard drive crash at this very moment, you'd more or less be screwed. I've experienced that a few times and have been saved by frequent backups, although there was one time I lost a few hundred GBs of media files that represented tens of hours of time.

12. cclozano

cclozano Member

In other forums they say when you upgrade to SL, it automatically enables Guest Account log in. I did an SL upgrade and checked, it didn't change the settings by default. That simple log in/log out glitch erasing the admin data is really scary.

The bug, which Apple now admits and is working on a fix, probably depends on settings prior to SL upgrade/installation.

13. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@Patrick & Soloworx: The articles linked showed that this bug occurs to systems that had the guest account feature activated in Leopard and then upgraded to SL. Those who had it off in Leopard and activated it AFTER they upgraded to SL haven't reported any problems. Another solution to soloworx's of turning it off, is to turn it off and then turn it back on again.

Me, I've never activated it. I found it simpler to create a non-Admin user account and to activate various levels of parental controls.

14. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

I had the Guest account enabled before I upgraded to SL, and it had stayed enabled until the time I tried reproducing the bug. I didn't experience the data loss. There must be another factor that contributes to it.

Either way, this is just another reminder that you should ALWAYS have a current backup of all your data :)

15. Kryptonian

Kryptonian Member

I was about to post this article. Anyway, I think by default the guest account is disabled?

16. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

my safari = spinning beach ball, i've had to restart several times already

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

slight ot: well....that's not too bad a problem.....compared to T-Mobile (Sidekick provider) and Danger (a Microsoft subsidiary) because their servers recently crashed and, in the process, subscribers lost all stored data (off-site backup). The thing is they did not have a back-up for their server data (redundancy in place). Its gone.....forever.

As recompense for the...ahhh....... acknowledged mea culpa, T-Mobile/Danger offered its Sidekick subscribers use of the service for one month gratis...........mmmm.......

Personally, I've experienced the same with Yahoo! Briefcase. They shut it down.....and, along with it, all my offsite data back-up.

18. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Clean install means you will start from the beginning, from zero. All your file will be deleted. If you haven't backed up your system, the last synchronization will be remembered. After that, not anymore.