Major League Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by greta87, Sep 15, 2009.

1. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

How about the AL Manager race? Do you think they made the right decision awarding Twins manager Baldelli the AL manager of the year beating Aaron Boone? Boone did have an expensive roster to deal with but they were frequently injured ‘savages’ and he still lead the team to a division title and were close to winning the AL pennant. Twins though were impressive in the regular season and won their division by posting 101 wins.

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^They both had the same number for first-place votes, but Baldelli won on higher second-place votes—so that's the close difference. Arguably, Baldelli had a bigger year-on-year turnaround. Yes, Boone had to deal with more injuries, but it's hard to overlook a loser-turned-winner performance. To me, these are "token" (subjective) awards, anyway. Votes will never be as real as actual, on-field performance, in the context of a game, a series, a season. Debating subjective awards are as futile as GOAT debates, except a lot more trivial/insignificant. We'd all trade all these individual awards for a ring. :)

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

So the rumors are true, that the Yankees want to grab Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg for them. Damn moneyed Yankees. Lucky bastards.

4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

2017 Houston Astros Cheating Compilation (World Series included)

more evidence of cheating by the astros..

MLB investigation now includes Alex Cora (red sox manager) & Carlos Beltran, who were all part of the 2017 astros team.. makes you wonder whether Cora brought the cheating system with him to the Red Sox (of course....) when he became their manager in 2018 when the red sox won it all...

rbenzon likes this.
  5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^I couldn't hear the bang bang until I put on my AirPods Pro. :)

If Lance Armstrong's seven Tour de France titles can be stripped...

bowser and greta87 like this.
  6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

there's whistling & 'boom boom" varieties as well. ha ha.. yes, time to return 'em rings..

& check out these 2017 playoff stats of the astros players:

Altuve hit .472 at Astros home games.. while hitting .143 away (!!!!) :eek:.
    Correa : 371 home, .211 away.
    Bregman: .273 home, .154 away
    McCann: .300 home, .037 away.
    Gattis: .300 home, .200 away.

:mad::censored::(:mad:

I rest my case..

hitme64, rbenzon and SE20 like this.
  7. hitme64

Cheating is a time-honored tradition. Didn’t they say even Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio cheated at bat in games? And look where they are now, enshrined in the HOF. Them Astros, and a bunch of others, will be there someday. Who cares about cheating, except the US Presidential elections?

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

They're related. POTUS and POTSU. ;)

greta87 likes this.
  9. hitme64

I know that POTSU :LOL: Leaves many things uncovered if it tries to come out...

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

The 2020 HOF ballot is out. Derek Jeter is a shoo-in; only question is whether he'll get a unanimous vote, just like Mo.

There are a lot of statistically deserving HOFers—Bonds being atop that list. But he is tainted, forever.

Speaking of forever tainted in infamy, the Astros. The Houston Asterisk*. :D

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

^Bonds will never be HOF. Americans aren’t as forgiving as we are. Heck we even elect them of public office after all that they’ve done. BB is essentially minced meat forever in the mind of America’s favorite sport. I doubt if anything else can change that. Compare that to Jeter and basically he’s a saint even if the team he comes from isn’t :LOL:

greta87 likes this.
  12. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

aka The Houston Trashtros