Major League Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by greta87, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Having watched all their games (many on fast forward replay on my Apple TV), I enjoyed this season. I liken it to a great movie with a disappointing ending.

But I do miss the clutch hitting from 20 years ago—Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and Scott Brosius. They all hit above 300. Now, more power, but less clutch.

Consuelo with this year's roster is most are young and cheap. The most expensive bats weren't even on the lineup: Stanton and Ellsbury (yes, he's still on the payroll; I can't wait to get him off it).

Don't think re-signing Didi will make a big difference. Don't know if they'll "bid" for and win Cole (a Yankee fan). Either way, there are few guarantees—as the top-seeded Dodgers and Braves learned. :)

For sure, I'll renew my MLB.tv subscription. And with a bit of luck, I might even watch a few games at the stadium, come spring.

Thank you for an enjoyable season, despite the choke. :D

Mykolant likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I just hope I still get to see a World Series in DC the end of the month, whoever the Nats play that is. We have tickets for a TBA Game 5 and hoping it will reach that far. Just don’t know if it will be in DC or Houston (or even NYC) until ALCS ends. Go Nats anyway!

This will be my first WS. I am also gearing up for my first NBA game in DC when the Wizards open at home. I don’t expect to watch NFL because our in-laws have that at home.

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^nice! i've only been to a couple of victory parades, eons ago. :)

IIRC, WS is 2-3-2 format. the middle three games will be in DC because houston has the home field advantage (they're a division winner, vs wild card nats)

i'm sure interpol has access to scalpers. :D

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. hitme64

Houston is a long way from DC. Unless the Yanks pull some kind of miracle, NYC is just 4 hours away from DC so it’s the better scenario by all accounts.

5. hitme64

Well, they heard it all right. NYY beats Houston, 4-1 in G5. Astros still lead 3-2.

And the sun shines once more for the Yanks.

6. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Damn..time for the new NBA season to begin then.

No championship for the entire 2010 decade. All we got were swan songs for past heroes (Jeter, Mo, AROD, CC, etc.).

On another note, thank you John Sterling for your service.

hitme64 likes this.
  7. hitme64

Damn, just when everyone thought they would put on some decent rally. But it wasn’t to be. So Houston goes to the World Series up against Cinderella Washington.

So who do I bet on now? Go Nats! Go Nats! Go Gnats! Go-nuts!

Mykolant likes this.
  8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

And they just stole Game 1, with Scherzer > Cole.

My lingering image of this game, though, is that missed catch at the wall by the Nats in the 8th. All the while I was thinking, "Ichiro would've caught that."

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Speaking of Ichiro, I realised how much better Suzuki is behind the plate, vs Gary Sanchez. :D Different Suzuki, I know, but that doesn't help Sanchez. :)

A Star is Born, Soto speak. ;)

But good, close game. Not quite a canary in the Cole mine. ;) But one down, three more "curly Ws" to go. :)

Mykolant and SE20 like this.
  10. SE20

Boy, if the Nats can beat (and beat up on) Cole and Verlander, do the Astros still have hope?

11. antski

antski Well-Known Member

Astros' confidence level is near zero right now.

12. hitme64

Grabe, baka di na ako umabot ng Game 5. C’mon Houston give us a chance to watch the World Series. Besides, I can’t ride that fast to D.C. from VA if it ever reaches Game 5.

If the Nats sweep this Series, all roads to D.C. will be closed to traffic and I figure a day or two in Maryland will be needed until everything opens up.

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

The Astros have never impressed me, even if they've had the Yankees' number since 2015. They rely too much on launching rockets. So now, "Houston, we've got a problem." :D

So when my team's not in the WS, I root for NL teams. "Small ball" is pure (DH-less) baseball—and something that Pinoys can excel in.

Speaking of which, bet you guys didn't know that the first Asian to play in the ML was Pinoy. There's a half-Pinoy shortstop too with the Chicago Cubs. His Pinoy side is probably responsible for his womanising. :D And for over-extending his role off the field, because he *battered* his wife. :D

Having eliminated my team thrice since 2015, I would relish a Nats sweep. Maybe for hitme's sake, Game 5. But clinch it in DC.

Maybe the Astros forgot that they're an abbreviation of astroNATS! :p

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  14. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Verlander looked human this morning. Good. sweep 'em Astros.. ha ha... *bitter*

SE20, hitme64 and rbenzon like this.
  15. SE20

^Yeah, their fan base is entitled as hell.

Plus, I’m always happy whenever a Houston team loses. Payback for Ralph Sampson’s funky shot against the Lakers. Haha, yeah, bitter!

greta87, hitme64 and rbenzon like this.
  16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

You know why they're losing? Because China unplugged Houston! Yeah, bitter. :D

greta87 likes this.
  17. hitme64

My in-laws say that they’ll be traveling to DC today for Games 3 and 4, and then fetch me at Dulles to watch Game 5, if it ever reaches that. If they sweep, then tough luck but hey, they might bring me a Nats snapback if it will appease me though.

18. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^I'll be in Maryland from Monday, but not really hoping to catch a live WS game! Maybe watching it on TV in the comfort of my cousin's living room will be fine.

I shouldn't forget to leave my Mets cap in NJ before taking the 4.5-hr NY-MD bus ride. :LOL:

hitme64 likes this.
  19. hitme64

^Lapit ka na sa DC (y) Traffic is expected to swarm for Nats games so staying in Washington until the end of the WS is the best. Then will I continue to VA, that is, if I ever get to attend Game 5 (so don’t disappoint me Houston!)

Mykolant likes this.
  20. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    that's ok. They won't be playing in Washington when I get there after Game 5.