Major League Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by greta87, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Does that mean he got to first base?

But did he have to slap Arroyo’s arm to get there? ☹️

courtside3 and rbenzon like this.
  2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Wow, I just learned that the plane Roy Halladay was piloting crashed. Borderline HOF career numbers, but in his prime, he was amongst the best. RIP!

After that somber news, back to the riser news. Am sure A-Rod took a hard schwing, got down Lo and scored. :)

courtside3 and SE20 like this.
  3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Are the yankees for real or what? if they win tomorrow against the Astros, it's a clear statement to everyone that they are the team to beat.

great shutout win. Severino doing a rare complete game.. can't wait for the next series with the Red Sox..

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Yes! Glad they turned the corner, after their 50/50 performance during their first 18-20 games.

Am glad my wishes from the end of last season (below) came true.
    Hitting roster looks good, in spite of Stanton's and Sanchez's early slumps. Can't wait for those studs to get in the groove!

Still, too early to count out the formidable Sox and Stros, both with 60+ run differential, vis-a-vis Yankees' 50+.

Yankee rotation has been good the past couple of weeks, but still looks fragile. The season is just too long to expect a glitch-free ride. Heck, Montgomery just went down. Would be great the Yankees can find a way to bring D'backs' Patrick Corbin on board, a year ahead of his free-agency; or another top-flight pitcher.

Shades of dominance are peeking, but I'd gladly wait for post-season peaking! :)

greta87 likes this.
  5. greta87

yes the rotation has been surprisingly solid the last few weeks. just what the doctor ordered. but like you, I have my reservations on whether they can keep this up. I have no doubt about the offense though, the line up is just absolutely lethal..

rbenzon likes this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

The season isn't even quarter-way done, yet I've watched two full games, back-to-back—which I only previously did in the playoffs. Today was a great comeback win to come back from being behind 7 games, to first place in the AL East.

These Yankees are so much fun to watch. It's being compared to the '98 team, which I witnessed too. But that had a lot more "buying championship" names, so this homegrown bunch is special!

greta87 and antski like this.
  7. greta87

I think this is the best lineup that we've had in decades. no easy outs for opposing pitchers. rock solid. & their composure, boy! nothing seems to rattle the kids.

rbenzon likes this.
  8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Many are comparing this team to the '98 team. Let's hope they also finish similarly, atop the AL East, winning the pennant, all the way to a WS sweep. :)

Slightly off-topic, but I am glad that the "sister team" of the Red Sox got ousted out of the NBA playoffs. And the Astros' "sister team" too. :D These ousters are probably the only reasons to be happy about in that predictable league. So predictable that I did not bother subscribing to the regular season League Pass. I expected "same sh*t, different year". Glad I saved over $100 in League Pass subscription!

Heck, games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup were more exciting than the entire NBA conference finals. :D But I digress.

Torres seems to be a Jeter or a Cano in the making; clearly the best/steadiest player in that young line-up! Here's to Torres giving Ohtani a run for his yen, and Rookie of the Year!

Been enjoying my MLB.TV subscription. Heck, I even got a throw back experience when I streamed WFAN radio coverage a few weeks ago, in my car, as I sat thru EDSA traffic.

Yankees Radio.JPG

greta87 likes this.
  9. greta87

^ speaking of Boston, the Red Sox lost today to the Astros.. & it wasn't even against Verlander... finally some real competition for them; instead of the cream puff teams theyve faced lately that's propping up their record...

rbenzon likes this.
  10. greta87

& the best rivalry in baseball will meet in the ALDS... prediction: Yankees in 5.

rbenzon likes this.
  11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i thought about rescheduling my meeting this morning, but i didn't want that to backfire. glad i pushed thru; my meeting went well. afterwards, i went home to watch the replay, reminding myself all morning to avoid FB spoilers. alas, mind wandered and fingers went on autopilot, logged into FB, and then boom, spoiler. :) good thing it was a good spoiler.

regardless of today's outcome though, i enjoyed this season. i followed their every game day this season, from simple reading of box scores, recaps, watching highlights, to watching full games. they were fun to watch! and the HR record, different instances of player-of-the-week (didi, torres, miggy, voit, et al), and miggy's rookie doubles record were icing! we knew at the outset though that the starting rotation would be suspect. happy about the happ trade.

am superstitious about predictions. :) but looking forward to the biggest rivalry in all of pro sports! :)

oh, one more thing: i'm trying to be less judgmental of people who wear the NYY cap but don't bleed it. :D

greta87 and SE20 like this.
  12. SE20

^you meant Judge-mental :)

All I know is that there is no way the fn Red Sox win four straight this time. :mad:

rbenzon likes this.
  13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Haha. Took a long time for that wound to heal, but there's not even a trace of *peklat* now. :)

Besides, we're clear underdogs this time, so nothing but up.

Babe, Bucky, Boone. Who's next, Boit? :)

greta87 and SE20 like this.
  14. greta87

yes @rbenzon the yanks are the underdogs due to the sox winning the division & beating the yanks in the head to head by 1 game which makes it better once the yanks beat the sox in the ALDS. he he. nothing to lose so far. & with today's game, this could be over in 4. in any case, I still feel that the team to beat would still be the Astros. that pitching staff with Verlander out there is the scariest.

rbenzon likes this.
  15. ramil

ramil Active Member

Do they show the games in any of the local or cable channels? If not, how do you guys watch the games? Thanks.

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^they used to show MLB playoff games on ESPN, years ago. but i do not know who carries ESPN now. MLB's not part of the ESPN5 contract, AFAIK.

i have an MLB.TV season pass, which includes the playoffs. if i am not mistaken, the playoff pass now is $20+.

aside from that, you'd probably have to go thru some jologs method ;) like stream from an illegal source.

too bad, because the two best things americans created are jazz/blues, and baseball. :)

ramil likes this.
  17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

They came up short in the AL East; came up short in Game 1; made it exciting in the bottom of the 9th just now, but a fitting ending to the season—by coming up short again to the team with the best record.

Like I said, I enjoyed the season, regardless of the outcome. Rookies came through, rotation was spotty, as suspected, but still a good season. Sulit yung League Pass ko. Playoffs are just wild, often unpredictable. Luck arguably plays more in baseball than other major pro sports.

Hard to imagine NL teams beating the AL juggernauts, but anything is possible in baseball—unlike that other sport. :p

SE20, courtside3 and antski like this.
  18. SE20

^Spoken like a true fan!

Man, this sport. Heartbreaking, it can be.

Alrrighty, I'll watch The Town again tonight, or any movie where Boston gets F'd up.

rbenzon and courtside3 like this.
  19. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

If there’s anything the Red Sox-Yankees series proved, it’s that managers can and do make a difference.

Alex Cora was masterful. Meanwhile, Aaron Boone was anything but; had he simply been in the same Zip Code as adequate, the Bombers could well be facing the Astros in the ALCS.

rbenzon and SE20 like this.
  20. bowser

bowser Member

So awesome that the winning run turned out to be the shortest HR in the post-season. Live and die with that little league ballpark