Major Airport Extreme Base Station problem (with PLDT DSL's PPPoE)

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by quasar, Feb 3, 2009.

1. quasar

quasar Active Member

My AEBS-n has gone screwy on me.

Last night (is it past midnight already?), I was surprised to discover that I couldn't connect to the internet through my home wi-fi network. I checked the AEBS and saw that the status light turns from green to amber every few seconds. I called PLDT to see if there was any problem with the DSL service, and I was told there were no problems in my area. Since the indicator/status light for ADSL Line on the DSL modem was lit, the PLDT CSR suggested to connect the modem directly to a computer. Following his suggestion, I connected the modem directly to my iMac and found that I could connect to the internet.

I then tried to troubleshoot the problem with the AEBS. First, unplugged the AEBS for about 30 seconds then restarted it, but the problem persisted. Next, I ran Airport Utility and I was told that the my PPPoE password was incorrect. I was perplexed since I did not change any of the settings, and I'm certain no one else in my household fooled around with the iMac (the admin account is password protected).

I then decided to do a hard reset. I followed the instructions in set-up guide for doing a hard reset and keyed in the PPPoE password I got from PLDT. After a few seconds, the status light turned green and I was told by Airport Utility that I had successfully configured the AEBS. However, the Airport status icon in the menu bar did not display the Connect Time, which would be the case if I were connected to the internet via the AEBS. Curious, I clicked the Airport status icon and I was shocked to find that the AEBS was trying to connect via PPPoE, and failing. And all this time, the status light on the AEBS is green!

I still can't figure out what wrong with the AEBS. Any ideas?

(The AEBS is up-to-date with the latest firmware and I'm using the latest Airport Utility)

2. MacMax

MacMax Member

Re: Major Airport Extreme Base Station problem

Same with me here. Started 8pm last night. Tried connection through linksys WRT54G, no go! I only have one station connected to the net now! AEBS just a printer server for now!

3. MacMax

MacMax Member

What could be wrong? The linksys finally got connected but not the AEBS! Wired the AEBS to the Linksys and connected via Ethernet. It works, but now I have 2 networks.

4. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

SAME PROBLEM!! yesterday about 8am my internet got disconnected from my macbook and every time i try to update my AEBS i get errors. HELP PLEASE!

5. quasar

quasar Active Member

In my case, it's looking like a problem with PLDT. Are you guys on MyDSL as well? It just occurred to me that the problem might be confined to a specific area. I'm staying in Pasig City, near the Ortigas Center.

6. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

please send me a PM if you can help. TIA.

7. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

yeah im using myDSL. I'm staying in Las Piñas, Parañaque area.

- when i directly connected the modem to the desktop i got connected.

8. quasar

quasar Active Member

I got a suggestion from the Philmug mailing list to change from PPPoE to DHCP. However, when I do that, Airport Utility tells me that my "Apple wireless device does not have a valid IP address." I'm presently trying to figure out how to change to DHCP.

9. ro.gandeza

ro.gandeza Member

Same problem here. I live in Paranaque, What PLDT did is change my modem. The PLDT tech guy told me that they are currently phasing out the modem i had (its DSL-1 type). They replaced it with ZyXel P-600 series. With this new modem, DHCP is used; no more PPoE.

10. nre

nre Member

My Airport started giving me connection problems last weekend - lights kept blinking from amber to green. I plugged the ethernet cable directly to my Mac then changed to PPPoE (System Preferences - Network) - that worked! So the problem seems to be with my AEBS and not PLDT.

I did a reset of my Airport unit then transferred the Ethernet back. This time, the light was steady green (which according to the Help meant that Airport was On and Working Properly), but it still wouldn't connect. Worse, when I opened Airport Utilities, my Mac was scanning for nearby wireless devices but couldn't find any. Help please

11. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

Same problem. I live in Quezon City. I connected our Linksys (wired) router and it worked fine. I'd like to think that it's AEBS, but the number of people who experienced it within the same time frame is suspicious.

I'm still using the Nokia DSL modem that PLDT must have phased out years ago (signed up in 2001). Does PLDT ask for additional fees for a modem replacement?

12. rsa

rsa Member

I also encountered the same problem two days ago. I suddenly couldn't connect to the internet with my airport extreme. I connected my computer directly to the modem and was able to surf. I checked the status in airport utility and I'm getting error message regarding my PPOE password being wrong. I connected my airport express to the modem and now my network is fine. Will bring the extreme to a service center.

13. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

any updates?

14. kalbs

kalbs Member

same problem here. Tried AEBS and Airport Express but PPPoE server keeps" negotiating" ..

15. kalbs

kalbs Member

called PLDT 172 but they said that they DON'T change anything on their system.

The CR agent keeps on insisting that the problem could be the router or its configuration.
    My AEBS is OK since three days ago. I borrowed an Airport Express from a friend (known working unit with GLOBE DSL), but still same problem.

Any advise?

BTW, I am using PLDT PL-DSL1 modem provided by them.

#15 kalbs, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  16. Charlie

Charlie Beyond The Box/DW/Digital Hub

Same problem here , can't connect with both my time capsule and Airport express. I think its a problem with PLDT DSL.:confused:
    When I connect using my MBP directly thru ethernet it works naman, the problem started yesterday morning.

#16 Charlie, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  17. kalbs

kalbs Member

Any other PLDT DSL subscriber here that is using a different brand of wireless router aside from Apple? Just to check if it is just Apple router problem or not since Jiru-Chan can connect using wired router...... but weird?

18. rsa

rsa Member

I brought my airport extreme to istudio and as per their diagnosis, the extreme couldn't find an ip address. Left the unit for them to repair.

19. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

so there's something wrong with all the airport extremes?

20. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I hope not.

Same thing! Airport status always says 'Negotiating PPPoE'

It's very suspicious that a lot of people experienced this problem one after the other. T.T

Did anyone find a cure already? Sir Charlie?