mail crashing

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by daxdagr8t, Jul 11, 2006.

1. daxdagr8t

daxdagr8t Member

This may sound stupid to most of you so please bear with me. I tried sending a 250mb file through mail earlier ( i was too lazy to divide it) and now mail crashes and causes my PB to freeze. I have to take out the battery just to reboot. I tried repairing and verifying permission but it didn't solve anything. So guys any help would be appreciated greatly.

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

It's probably just one message that's causing Mail to crash. It's probably corrupted or too much for Mail to handle.

A client had a similar problem, here's what I did to resolve it.
    1. Locate the Mail plist file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist)
    2. MOVE that file to another location (i.e. the Deasktop).
    3. While you're at it, back that file up as a precaution (ctrl click and select Duplicate)
    4. Launch Mail (it should be able to launch now)
    5. Delete the message that is being displayed, empty the Mail trash as well
    6. Quit Mail
    7. Return the Mail.plist file into its original location
    8. Launch Mail again.

I hope that works.

3. PaoSison

PaoSison Member

Question po elbert, this is another one of my 'whatif' scenarios:

If that software crashes (e.g. Mail) and for some reason it is the cause for the PB not to boot. Could you boot onto another PB, boot the problematic PB as a FW drive, and perform a modified procedure of what you explained?

Just curious. 'cause all of the types of systems [both server and workstations] I have handled, all of Apple's implementations amazes me because they just seem to make complexity obsolete.

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

The problem with the scenario you presented is that there will be no way to launch the problematic PB's Mail.app with its problematic database.

I doubt that Mail can ever cause an entire OS to fail booting up anyway.

5. berrybianka

berrybianka Member

i'm using an MBP unibody and yesterday I'm booted with Windows. While I was at Windows (with several open applications under mac) it froze so I had to reset. After it booted, and I opened Mail, ervything was gone! It was prompting me to create an account :(. In shot, I lost everything that I have in Mail. Is there a way to recover it?

6. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

try creating again with the previous account you used (say gmail?), hopefully it will download again emails you have on that account

7. berrybianka

berrybianka Member

i have hope for my gmail accounts since i set it on imap. problem is with my office email. i set up a pop and an imap (to be able to delete messages on the server faster). so my only hope for the office email is to recover it. the last that i can recover from the back-up server is from Tuesday only :(