Magsafe wire repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Everythinglou, Dec 12, 2014.

1. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

@mjjm, apple should have thought of something like that, to protect those areas prone to damage, or to strengthen those parts in design. coz i can guess majority of mac owners have that problem.

2. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

what I hate the most about these cables is when they start turning yellow before they turn completely brittle… like WTH?

it has never happened to any of my dock connectors or lightning cables. just the magsafe wires to my macbooks.

3. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Some Sugru has helped me fix and reinforce my cables.

www.sugru.com

4. mace

mace New Member

I hear you. Here's a sad fact. You know how the rubber material frays, exposing the wires near the ends of the cable. Feeling confident that since this was a design flaw and that it would be covered by applecare, I brought it to Senco. And they immediately said that it is not part of Apple's guidelines for replacement. They even said that there was a bigger chance to be replaced if the wires completely broke off. WTH di ba??? They explained that the fraying should've been much closer to the ends. I said that I was always careful about storing my charger ever since it showed a slight split in the rubber. Long story short, the technician supposedly emailed the concern to apple and was denied the next day.

Cables of my old iMac are much better than the ones they have today.

5. mace

mace New Member

There is a conspiracy theory (actually my wife said that it is even the practice) that companies like Apple make products that won't last that long. So that people will buy and buy. Otherwise, these companies will not earn as much. They will use cheaper materials. Cheaper materials mean cheaper selling price. Cheaper price means more products sold.

End of the day, consumers think that they are in a win-win situation, when in fact, we are at the losing end.

6. gondolin

gondolin Member

Anyone knows where I can buy duck heads for the magsafe (cheaper option) thanks

7. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

I was able to buy one before at a stall in centris for P250 if I remember correctly. Sorry but could not remember the name if the store. iStudio also sells them I think for around P350-P450.

8. applebucked

applebucked New Member

Hi, my magsafe 2 charger started to split last week so what i did was buy those spiral cord protectors (I bought them for around 15 pesos per piece at St. Francis Square. For the 45W charger of the Macbook Air, you need around 6 pieces if you wanna wrap the whole thing, pero you just need two pieces if ung magkabilang dulo lang.) and took the time to wrap the charger with it.

Here is where the charger is splitting
    [​IMG]

Here is the finished product
    [​IMG]

9. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

10. smokinGAV

smokinGAV Member

I use heat shrink tubing. You can find some at Ace hardware.

11. crazy_boy

crazy_boy Member

^what size of heat shrink tube did you use?

12. papajamba

papajamba Member

My MBA magsafe frayed at the end near the large adapter after 3.5 years. So I used my 60W white MB magsafe for my MBA. Then after 2 weeks, heard 2 loud pops from the 60W magsafe. When i touched it, it was burning hot and wouldnt work anymore.
    Now I'm using my wife's old white MB magsafe.
    Imagine I'm on my 3rd magsafe. Apple chargers suck lately. China quality perhaps.

13. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Its not only Apple Magsafe chargers that suck. Even other brands of laptop chargers are crappy. Anyway, I know all Apple equipments are made in China so if you say its because of China quality then I would assume it would go same as the iPhone, iPad and the MacBooks itself since they're all made in China.

14. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Here are pictures between the Fake copy ones and the Original ones

[​IMG]

15. smokinGAV

smokinGAV Member

They only have two sizes in Ace Hardware. I use the bigger one but I have to stretch it so it will slide thru. It shrinks back anyway when it's heated.

16. Everythinglou

Everythinglou Member

I keep on asking ace hardware but they dont even know what a shrink tube is -_-
    where did you get yours?

17. papajamba

papajamba Member

V-Mall branch of Ace has stocks of the shrink tube, though it's a pain to insert through the magnetic connector.

18. Everythinglou

Everythinglou Member

what! really already tried that branch last month and they told me that they dont have any stocks and the last time they had them was a long time ago. thanks for the info ill try it tomorrow

19. smokinGAV

smokinGAV Member

I got mine in Ace Hardware in Market Market.

20. smokinGAV

smokinGAV Member

I use long nose pliers. I just insert it in the tube then slowly open the pliers so it will stretch. It has to be done slowly so it doesn't snap and break.