MagSafe replacement policy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mckytm, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mckytm

mckytm Member

Hi guys,

My MBP's charger seems to have died on me without warning -- my laptop doesn't charge and the brick becomes extremely hot :( what's weird is I don't see any 'fraying' like the first-generation MagSafes (I have the square brick, not the rectangular one).

Anyway, I purchased my laptop in September last year, so I don't think it's under warranty anymore. But does PowerMac have a replacement policy for these chargers? Or will I be forced to shell out US$80 for a new one? :(

2. mckytm

mckytm Member

Just talked to PowerMac -- since it's out of warranty, their 'policy' is to sell me a new adapter for P5k...and at the same time try to talk me into purchasing AppleCare so 'you won't worry about it next time'.

Yay. My blood pressure spiked this early in the morning. Despite it being one of the new square adapters, and despite my taking good care of it (i.e. plugging it into AVRs only, making sure I don't bend the cables unnecessarily), the fact that it's 13 months old means I have to shell out to pay for a possible factory defect (at least based on the feedback on the Apple Online Store). Hay.

Sorry, just ranting.

Btw mods, I saw another thread re: power adapters, pa-merge nalang po so I don't clutter up the board. Thanks!
    http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=37495

3. mindless

mindless Member

Doesn't Applecare have to be bought just before your initial 1 year limited warranty expires? I wonder why they're selling you Applecare when you're no longer under warranty.

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

have you tried resetting the madsafe adapter? All you have to do is slide out the cable or duk head adapter and then slide it back in. That's how to reset the circuit breaker.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

actually i did that before i sent my unit back to DH...still no go with that trick so the magsafe went in for repairs and replacement...

just for good measure, i got a new one so that i don't have to plug and unplug the adapter every now and then i need to bring the laptop home from office...

oh, i also got a replacement unit from dh...

6. elbert

elbert Active Member

I have an even better solution to getting a secondary MagSafe adapter: get the new Cinema Display--it comes with a MagSafe charger too. :)

7. mckytm

mckytm Member

Anyway, the GF bought me a new 85w MagSafe from Macau yesterday for HKD 638... at least it'll be cheaper than P5k. Unbudgeted maintenance capex. Hay.

@mindless - you're right; I may have misinterpreted what the guy said. I think it was more like 'next time get AppleCare so you won't worry about this' :) still, not a good suggestion when I'm still hoping for a miracle.

Besides I read on Apple that I may be eligible for a replacement MagSafe after they check out my power adapter (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713) -- but the guy I spoke with from PowerMac said that since I was out of warranty, then I'd HAVE to buy a new adapter.

Yup I've tried that -- was keeping my fingers crossed that it was just the cable (plug --> adapter) which was the problem. Sadly both replugging the AC cord and testing with the plain duckhead adapter didn't resolve the issue :(

Re: new Cinema Display, LOL! Well, is there a DVI-to-Mini Display Port cable yet? :p

-----

On a related note, since PowerMac doesn't repair MagSafes, any idea where I can find someone who does? Just so I have a spare adapter. Or is there still a chance I can have this thing replaced?

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

yeah you got me there elbert...in lieu of a new mbp, i'd go for the new led cinema display...but will it work on the "old" mbp?

9. mckytm

mckytm Member

Not really sure, but Googling it brought up this tidbit:

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comm...-notebooks-will-work-with-led-cinema-display/

So as not to be OT: anywhere else I can bring my (dead) power adapter, other than PowerMac? While I'd love to go there with a printout of that Apple support page, I'm hoping that another brick-and-mortar store would be more amenable to sending the defective adapter to Apple for diagnosis and possible replacement.

10. cosmopiggy

cosmopiggy New Member

I bought my MacBook in the US last April (2008). This morning I tried to recharge it but the magsafe adapter didn't light up anymore. :( Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced the receipt. Would they require the receipt before I would be able to avail of the warranty or would they be able to determine the date of sale through my serial no? I'd appreciate any tips on dealing with this situation. Thanks.

11. mckytm

mckytm Member

They should be able to determine date of sale through your serial number (or I assume date of consignment) -- I've had 2 iPods replaced before warranty expired with no receipt needed.

On a semi-related note, they didn't replace my power adapter because it was out of warranty, but then even my battery began showing problems (i.e. 3100+mah max capacity after under 50 cycles). I asked for a replacement, but since it was out of warranty PMC couldn't do anything. However, a call to Apple Toll Free got me an exception, especially after I explained to them that I had already been gouged with a new power adapter. I'm picking up my new replacement battery sometime this week. ;)

12. cosmopiggy

cosmopiggy New Member

Hi! Thank you for your prompt response. I'll try to explain my case and hopefully they'll replace my adapter. Trying to get a hold of a copy of the receipt. I'm a newbie in the group. I look forward to participating in more threads and getting tips / feedback on the latest products from Macintosh.

13. badw33d

badw33d Member

my gf's laptop has the same problem, charger was so hot until one night it stopped doing its job. we called switch in alabang, and buying a new one is 6500php, good thing when she went there it was under warranty, so 2weeks of wait (well still waiting) and its gonna be fine. but the charger itself is that expensive or expensive>?

14. Bogey

Bogey Member

My macbook's adapter has been erratic the past month. Good thing I have applecare and Ynzal was more than willing to facilitate the warranty claim.

15. jemt111

jemt111 Member

Mine conked out as well last weekend. Yeah, was surprised with how much a replacement costs. P6.5k and P5k at Switch and PowerMac, respectively. Was able to get one for P4.3k though.

16. mckytm

mckytm Member

@badw33d, jemt111: though I hated that my adapter died, I was lucky that my GF was in Macau when my adapter conked out. I was able to get a brand new one for only 638 HKD; if I had gotten it from HK it would have only cost 600 HKD (no tax).

What I'm not sure of right now is whether the newly purchased adapter is also covered by a 1-year replacement warranty...

17. mkyoots

mkyoots Member

just got my adapter replaced by microwarehouse. they usually repair/replace defective items within 3-4 days.

18. yaiagustin

yaiagustin Member

My Charger INTERMITTENTLY charges. I went to PMC Trinoma and when they tested it, it was working. Of course sometimes it doesnt work (yeah intermittent problems suck). Should I just get it replaced even if it was working earlier? This has been happening for two weeks now. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. HELP! Can i just ask PMC or any authorized service center repair churla to replace my charger?

19. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Hi yaiagustin,

Maybe your MagSafe is suffering one of the problems described in these knowledge base article from Apple:

1. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2315 - Use and cleaning of power adapter with MagSafe connector
    2. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713 - Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

I also have intermittent issues when charging my MacBook Pro resulting the light on the MagSafe either turning off while it is charging or lighting up only fainted. In several threads at Apple Support discussions I read that it might be also an issue related with the power board within the machine. So far I did not let it being checked at an service center.

Good luck,

Steve (csc2ky)

20. yaiagustin

yaiagustin Member

thank you very much csc2ky!
    I haven't tried the second KB yet so I'm gonna try it once I get home. :D