Magsafe Meltdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by rogue, Jan 14, 2009.

1. rogue

rogue Member

My brother just bought a new power adapter for his MBP... why?

His old one's magsafe melted! Yup! It's not new news... there are a few articles google'd and in youtube too.

My cousin and I realized our's was still OK coz the "plastic clip" that slides along the cable, with which you clip the cable to keep it organized, was always located at the end of the cable, nearest the magsafe.

This prevented the magsafe area of the cable from curling up when plugged, which was the main cause of the meltdown.

Just a prevention tip for you guys!

Be safe! :)

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@rogue: Any chance you can take a picture of what you mean? I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean when you say preventing the cable from curling up; as well as how that was the main cause of the meltdown.

3. rogue

rogue Member

here's my brother's melted magsafe:

[​IMG]

here's our safety solution:

[​IMG]

the "plastic clip" prevents the cable from folding or curling... :)

HTH!

#3 rogue, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

hmmmm.. thanks for the tip rouge.. :) but i'm curious, did you encountered any power flickering before this incident happen?

and just wanna ask how "old" is your old magsafe?

5. mcblack

mcblack Member

I'm terrified that this could happen to my brick too. My charger has been malfunctioning lately. (at times it just turns off by itself when I move my computer with both ends still plugged)

6. bon

bon Active Member

Try cleaning the contacts - they may be dirty.

7. danes96

danes96 Member

i encounter flickering on my screen especially during boot. is this the power flickering you are referring to?

8. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

Seems to me to be more of a cable twisting problem. Not like the famous magsafe problem from before. I suggest to everyone to straighten out their cables once in a while and to not wrap them to tightly when transporting. Even though it seems that their is only minimal twisting seen on the insulation, the wires inside them tend to remain twisted. This goes the same for eaprhones too. HTH :)

9. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

Guys, a quick tip here as well. Be careful when putting your magsafe adapters inside your bags. Make sure its wires aren't in contact with any sharp objects as the constant grinding with anything sharp causes cuts thus exposing the copper inside outside.

10. mcblack

mcblack Member

Update: my power brick has completely died on me this morning. It's currently under repair.

11. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

We're sorry to hear that mcblack. I hope they replace it for you free of charge.
    BTW, it's also covered by the 1 year warranty is it?

12. mcblack

mcblack Member

Thankfully, yes it still is. Sulit na sulit nga sa akin one year warranty eh!

13. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

@mcblack: Nice one chief! Nga pala, in your opinion, sulit pa ba mag-Apple care or is the one year warranty ok na? I was thinking of getting a Macbook soon and the seller is offerring APP at a discount if I buy them sabay. Kaso it's expensive pa rin, around 12K for the APP. Although I really want to have them both especially after reading this thread along with numerous ones discussing the Macbook's possible issues. Your advice please. Thanks!

14. aries405

aries405 Member

my 1st magsafe also suffered meltdown. but its on the charger side .i since bought a new one arrrgggg... do you think apple will replace this? way past warranty already,

[​IMG]

15. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Member

@aries405: most probably not anymore sir. they have this policy of only honoring things if they're still under warranty. by the way, how'd that happen on your charger? was it plugged in to the wrong voltage? and how about replacing the cable connecting to it, is that possible?

16. mendozil

mendozil Active Member

my simple tip would be to not bend the "neck" part, the one near the ends (or any part for that matter. the less flexing or twisting, the better. this goes for other wired appliances as well.

oh, and yes, if you plan to have your computers around for more than a year, get APP. it's definitely worth it. it's peace of mind for a total of 3 years. that's a good deal. plus it covers everything on your mac. a charger alone costs over 7T bucks. same with batteries, not to mention the screen. :)

peace out!

17. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

@ danes96
    no danes, its not like that.. i'm referring when power/electricity shut-off for a few seconds.. the flow of the electricity encountered interference, and it may also cause your monitor to flicker uninterruptibly..

18. Tecson

Tecson Member

my Magsafe died on me on the 2nd day of purchase, they gave me a new one and the cord is stiffer than the original, i also notice that the quality is much different, i understand they sub these to at least several makers here in China, anyway although the quality is checked and better than others, do be careful with it during packing and transport, pansin k too fragile talaga on both edges, and very prone to twist and bend, so i always put it in a smaller bag/pouch b4 placing it in my bag

19. kurisu

kurisu New Member

Mine has a bad bend already, near the neck.

20. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@aries405: That looks very much like my GF's old Magsafe charger. She had the bad habit of wrapping the cord tightly and in different directions (clockwise then cc the next time, etc).

So everyone, try wrapping your cords less tightly. After her charger died, I gave her mine and then I bought the 85W MagSafe for the MacBook Pro as my personal replacement. Works perfectly with my MacBook and the cord is thicker and stiffer, so it may be less prone to damage as the 60W one.