Magsafe just stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by rattrapante, Jun 14, 2009.

1. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

My Magsafe for my MBP just decided to stop working, no melted wires, no cuts, no kinks.... Though its past a year already is this still covered by Apple Care since my MBP has Apple Care till 2011. Is there a way to find out which Magsafe came with which MBP, since we have had 3 MBP in the house I am not sure which one belongs to which.

Thanks

2. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

+1 on which is which

Though the APP will cover the Magsafe. So youre entitled to have it fixed or replaced.

In case you were to identify which Magsafe came with your MBP, kindly post the procedure aswell.

Thanks.

3. mig

mig Active Member

It doesn't charge anymore or the light just doesn't work?

For some reason, the light on mine goes off from time to time. Aside from a very scratched up brick, its in really good shape. Never dropped, etc etc. Its still working though.

4. Epzilog

Epzilog Member

yes same as mine... it works perfectly but the green light goes off too... then i will unplug it put it back on and the light will turn on but for some reason if i move my mac it goes off again...

5. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

funny my wife's ibook adapter just conked out last night am looking now for a replacement adapter..

6. twonavels

twonavels Member

Have you tried cleaning the contact points? I didn't think that would work with mine, I was already dressed up ready to buy a new one at the mall when I decided to rub it with the shirt I was wearing and it started working!

7. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

if im not mistaken macbook pros from santa rosa (2.2/2.4) came w/ a smaller 85w magsafe charger which is the same year you got your unit 2008. The bigger 85w version came from the older models, since you have 3 MBP there is now way to tell which is which except for the size :)

8. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

dropped by ynzal but their replacement was P3700 so decided to get a replacement for P1300 @ hottoyz delta.. nalang. seems good my ibook is now charging now.

9. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

Mine had no light and wasn't charging. Brought my charger to Digital Hub in V-mall, and I will know feedback in a week. I hope they replace it, but for the time being I bought another charger and will use it as a back-up if ever I get a replacement.

10. francis79

francis79 Member

mine was replaced vi applecare... stop working coz the magnet tip is super loose already, almost ready to detach...

Thanks to Sir Charlie. =)

11. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

mine had no light but was charging and was replaced by applecare

12. mig

mig Active Member

What did they tell you when it was replaced? I'm having the same "issue" and while it still works, it bugs me a bit.

Is there a possibility that I'd have trouble getting it replaced if its a scratched up brick?

13. angelove

angelove Member

mine just stopped working yesterday. brought it to digital hub earlier, and its really broken. i dont know why. same as rattrapante, no melted wires, no loose stuff, the magnet sticks just fine. the technician didn't understand it either. so weird.

14. goddessella

goddessella Member

^we have the same problem.. well almost. cuz mine got completely detached. good thing digital hub viramall approved its replacement pa din. :D

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Have you guys tried resetting the SMC of your Macs? Sometimes that is the cause why the magsafe would not charge. Had the same problem with my Macbook not charging despite of having 70% battery. Worked like a charm for me. Give it a go, its worth at least a try.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

16. voidnothings

voidnothings Member

hi guys, mine just stopped working, its weird cause it's in good shape except for some scratches. Bought the my mbp from charlie, does anyone know if i can just bring it to a digital walker branch (sm cebu) and replace it? I really can't go to manila just to replace this. :(