Macromedia freehand or Adobe Illustrator

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by caloysam, Apr 30, 2004.

1. caloysam

caloysam Guest

I've read various discussions about the comparison between the two programs, but of course, I wanted the opinion of you guys. I'm new into vectoring and I was wondering which is better or has the edge of the two? Advantages, disadvantages? By the way, I use freehand just so you'll know. Thanks in advance! :)

2. super_ed

super_ed Active Member

6821 Ayala Avenue, cor Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue
    i'm happy vectoring using Adobe Illustrator. so far i don't find any significant difference between the two apps, productivity does not depend on the application but more of the technique and sort of mastery drawing the lines and curves..

3. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

Well if you're using Photoshop already, I've found that Adobe Illustrator is easier to learn. They share a common interface which makes it easier to learn Illustrator. Also the integration of both apps is better. You can switch back and forth without much problems.

On the other hand if you're starting from scratch then Freehand might be worth looking at. Especially if you eventually want to learn Flash. The whole Studio MX of Macromedia integrates fairly well.

I suggest getting your hands on trial copies of both and trying them out. I know macromedia offers 30 day trials for Freehand. I'm just not sure about Illustrator. Maybe one of your friends has a copy and you can just play with it on his Mac.

4. chinggay

chinggay Member

I have an easier time with Illustrator... but if you're used to working with the Macromedia programs, then you might like Freehand better.

5. caloysam

caloysam Guest

well, i've got the entire macromedia and adobe lines bundled when i got my ibook so i pretty much am torn between the two :evil:

6. super_ed

super_ed Active Member

maybe you should try to compare using the pen tool of each apps, kung saan ka mas gamay..

7. nemcy

nemcy Guest

Well, I'm an Adobe user since I had my hands into graphics... but Illustrator "frustrates" me... pero tama si Chairman, if you're starting to learn... Freehand is easier and less frustrating... ngayon, du'n ko ginawa 'yung isang comic project ko...

Call that improvement! ;)

Btw, Freehand doesn't import JPEGs right? Tiff lang... :(

8. brianlim

brianlim Member

Freehand imports jpg and tif files. One thing to consider is color consistency as your work shuffles you from one app to the other (eg. photoshop for imaging, freehand/illustrator for assembly and object oriented work)...

9. nemcy

nemcy Guest

Freehand imports Jpegs? hmmm... that's weird... kasi my freehand is rejecting the jpeg images i'm importing... kaya ang tagal ko tuloy naghihintay uploading the images and waiting for a file to open na may mga tiff images...

what could have gone wrong? :(

10. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

No Nemcy, Freehand does import most file types.

Don't ask me what I prefer because I am for Macromedia Freehand MX all the way. It is a full-featured illustration tool with better lay-out capabilities. It supports multiple pages (You can actually make a 500 page book/magazine effortlessly with Freehand while Illustrator has to contend with muliple 'artboards' ). The controls that are more intuitive. Freehand's commands (ie; paste inside, scaling, transforming, etc,) are also faster to do since it is executed in less steps.Try masking objects between the two and you'll see what I mean.

And yes. it exports to all accepted file types including Illustrator. :beer:

(OT) Nemcy, have you seen Arnold's latest masterpiece? Grabe this guy is truly a drawing god. Click on the album cover.

[Edited on 4-30-2004 by Carlo]

11. nemcy

nemcy Guest

'yun nga ang napansin ko sa Freehand... it's handy to use for multiple pages na layout kesa sa Illustrator... I still have to learn a lot... havent discovered pa how to mask, crop, etc. so I still go back to photoshop to do coloring sa images ko... but in lineart, Freehand na ;)

kaso may pagaka-lousy yung multiple pages eh, unlike sa pagemaker na naka-line side by side, ang freehand hindi tabi-tabi... have to arrange it manual, sorry medyo may pagka-OC ako eh :blush:

still wondering why my jpegs were not accepted :(

12. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

Pero meron ba nyan sa Illustrator? ;)

[Edited on 4-30-2004 by Carlo]

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Ang balita ko mas guwapo ang gumagamit ng Freehand MX :D

But seriously, I love Freehand MX... once you get the way it works, you'd be hard pressed to match its intuitiveness :) BUT that's just me.

Try both, and if you like Adobe Illustrator and don't need Freehand's multipage capability, by all means use it. Again, to quote sir peter_ob, "wala sa pana yan, nasa indian."

14. caloysam

caloysam Guest

Thanks for the tips guys and gals! I'll continue with Macromedia freehand fool around with Adobe whenever I get the time. Salamat!!!

15. UberGeek

UberGeek Guest

freehand (any version) is faster than illustrator

16. super_ed

super_ed Active Member

none. unfortunately its something that i'm looking forward from adobe. though with InDesign, pwede na pagtiyagaan.

17. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

In an ideal situation where there is no piracy (cough) and your budget is limited only to one legitimate drawing application, Freehand is obviously the better choice:

Macromedia Freehand =$399 vs Adobe Illustrator CS, $399+ InDesign CS, $699=$1098

I don't think I'm willing to pay an extra $699 for something that Freehand is capable of doing.

18. mistermoya

mistermoya Active Member

After a conversation with Carlo a few months back, I gave Freehand MX a try and now it's goodbye Pagemaker for me. :D

19. dBAGZiq

dBAGZiq Member

im also a Freehand user, although not that much, have finished a hundred plus pages for the school's yearbook in no sweat, haven't tried Illustrator yet so I can't compare.

20. Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo Member

I can see from the post that most Philmugers advocate Freehand.

I have been using both Freehand and Illustrator for the past 10 years and been very pleased with both applications.

I like the cut and paste inside (masking) capabilities of Freehand because it is cleaner. Unfortunately, masking is not user friendly in Illustrator, because even part of the masked elements that are not in the masked area interfere with the artwork. Freehand neatly keeps everything in the masked area and will only show once contents have been cut.

Guidelines in Freehand is is not as clean as Illustrator, since AI has an an option to make guidelines to dots. Very useful for accurate technical drawings. Also, freehand constrains the guidelines within the page. I find this inconvenient. AI extendends the guidelines all accross the artboard.

Multi paging and in different sizes is no doubt an excellent feature in Freehand. Illustrator uses Tiling Pages to accommodate multiple pages within the artboard. Downside, it can only use one page size depending on what is set in page-set up and the artboard needs to be enlarged to see Tiled pages.

Text, I like how freehand incorporates the tab in their text boxes. AI text tabs need to be called out (shift-command-T)

Placed images or imported images. The issue I have with Freehand on this feature, when set to high resolution, the refresh rate of Freehand becomes slower and scrolling sometimes is a nightmare. AI has set the placed images in a single high resolution format and very handy with with almost all image formats.

Technical drawings. Definitely Illustrator! It can open CAD and DXF files. very handy to do technical illustrations for architects who can only provide CAD format files. The Smartguides in AI is very handy too, just like how Ashlar vellum and Vectorworks interface. Freehand does not exactly have this feature.

In principle, it really comes down to the application a person prefers to be good at.

[Edited on 30-4-04 by Dingkydoo]