macOS Big Sur (version 11.0)

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by Adarna, Jun 23, 2020.

1. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Hi, running on Big Sur but I can't seem to find the home drive , public folder etc. I googled already and couldn't find any relevant instructions. SOS please thanks !

2. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

What do you mean home drive? The main directory Hard drive folder?

3. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Yes. Previous Macs always had it on the desktop. I can't find it using this OS. TIA!

4. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Minimize all windows, go to Finder > Preferences. Under General, check the box for Hard disks.

5. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Not Shift+Cmd+C? Or Go / Computer?

6. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

And if you want the HDD icon on the desktop, go to Finder / Preferences / General, and click that small box to the left of hard disks.

7. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

8. Briggy

Briggy Member

I've been putting off this update because of my Serato DJ Pro app and I'm still scared that I'd have problems with my Adobe CC. But now that an update on Serato was released, I am thinking of jumping into the update. Any thoughts? Thanks.

9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

macOS Big Sur 11.3 11.3 — Restart Required

macOS Big Sur 11.3 adds support for AirTag, includes iPhone and iPad app improvements for Macs with M1, introduces separate skin tone variations for emoji with couples, and adds more diverse voice options for Siri.

AirTag and Find My

• Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
    • The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn't nearby
    • Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
    iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1

• Option to change an iPhone and iPad app's window size
    • Support for displaying the highest resolution version of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen
    • Keyboard support for iPhone and iPad games designed to use device tilt
    • Keyboard, mouse and trackpad support for iPhone and iPad games that support game controllers
    Emoji

• Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
    • New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
    Siri

• Siri now includes more diverse voice options
    Apple Music

• Autoplay keeps music playing by automatically playing a similar song, once you've reached the end of a song or playlist
    • City charts showcase what's popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
    Podcasts

• Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
    • Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
    • Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
    • Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
    News

• Redesigned News+ feed enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
    • All-new Search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
    Safari

• Start Page section order can now be customized
    • Additional WebExtensions API lets developers offer extensions that replace the new tab page
    • Web Speech API lets developers incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for real-time captioning, dictation, and voice navigation
    • WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support
    Reminders

• Ability to sort Today Smart list
    • Support for syncing the order of reminders in lists across your devices
    • Option to print your reminder lists
    Gaming

• Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense™ Wireless Controller support
    Mac computers with the M1 chip

• Hibernation support
    About This Mac

• About this Mac displays Apple warranty status and AppleCare+ coverage in the Service tab when signed in with Apple ID
    • Support for purchasing and enrolling in AppleCare+ for eligible Mac computers from About This Mac

This release also fixes the following issues:

• Reminders created via Siri may be unintentionally set for early morning hours
    • iCloud Keychain might not turn off
    • AirPods audio routing to incorrect device for Automatic Switching
    • AirPods Automatic Switching notifications might be missing or duplicated
    • External 4K monitors may not display in full resolution when connected over USB-C
    • Login window may not display properly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020)
    • The Dwell feature may not work in the Accessibility Keyboard

Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices, and require an Apple ID.

For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Theus likes this.
  10. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

New shortcut folder Relocated Items showed up after update. Looks like this happened to most if not everyone who did.

11. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

i finally took the plunge - after letting go of any aspirations to continue editing audio on Ableton on the Mac (i have v9 and didn't update further) i'm now on Big Sur... on my MBP 13 late 2013 :)

my biggest grip so far - the "loss" of the notification center calculator.

12. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member